Class of 2014 - WR Treevon Prater (IL) Attending Prep | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 WR Treevon Prater (IL) Attending Prep

I keep seeing 4 guys. I have a good idea of two, can someone let me know the other two. PM if not comfortable posting, thanks.

Blair, Shy, Strickland, and I can't remember the other. I think we feel pretty good about getting them all qualified though if they put in the work.

Blair, Shy, Strickland, and I can't remember the other. I think we feel pretty good about getting them all qualified though if they put in the work.
I think the other one is Dana Levine, but I didn't know Strickland was on the fence hope he can work it out cause I love what he can bring.

BvnL-XIIgAEJFW9.jpg:large

@Stephen_Bailey1
SU CB commit Treevon Prater left the Midwestern Prep program last week, per DBs coach Jermaine Hampton. Prater took the ACT two weeks ago.

@Stephen_Bailey1
No word on his ACT results yet. Hampton described Prater's departure as "kind of unprofessional." Was unhappy credits wouldn't count at SU.

Nice

@Stephen_Bailey1
SU CB commit Treevon Prater left the Midwestern Prep program last week, per DBs coach Jermaine Hampton. Prater took the ACT two weeks ago.

@Stephen_Bailey1
No word on his ACT results yet. Hampton described Prater's departure as "kind of unprofessional." Was unhappy credits wouldn't count at SU.

Nice

Realistically if his credits don't transfer and he took the ACT already and it all hinges on his score, i get it. Doesn't sound like he handled it very well, but the logic is actually there. Why stick around and risk getting hurt if there is literally no upside. Now that is not taking into account that this school helped him stay eligible and in a position to take the test and make it to Cuse in January.

if he got the necessary score and the credits don't transfer then I get it. nothing to see here.

'kind of unprofessional' is only one side of the story. As long as he had a conversation about leaving then I"m fine with it. If he left without saying anything than that is unprofessional, but i'm still fine with it.

Realistically if his credits don't transfer and he took the ACT already and it all hinges on his score, i get it. Doesn't sound like he handled it very well, but the logic is actually there. Why stick around and risk getting hurt if there is literally no upside. Now that is not taking into account that this school helped him stay eligible and in a position to take the test and make it to Cuse in January.

is that last statement accurate?

Attending a prep school for free to get help to improve your qualifying score, and then leaving before the season/term ends, isn't exactly a move I'll defend.

Hopefully the SU coaches didn't approve this move because I don't think that prep school would look to maintain a working relationship if that's the case.

What I don't understand is why would the staff place a kid in a prep school where credits wouldn't transfer to SU. If they knew this than Praters' issue must be test score alone... but still..

What I don't understand is why would the staff place a kid in a prep school where credits wouldn't transfer to SU. If they knew this than Praters' issue must be test score alone... but still..

Prep school credits don't typically transfer to SU- unless they are AP classes and it's doubtful a non-qualifier is taking AP classes. Usually the prep classes are used to improve core GPA for qualifying...so someone is confused.

is that last statement accurate?

i could be wrong but my understanding is kids who don't qualify need to either attend prep school or go the JUCO route. I suppose their may be an option to just stay home and take the test. regardless, i am sure they provided him resources to improve his test scores.

Prep school credits don't typically transfer to SU- unless they are AP classes and it's doubtful a non-qualifier is taking AP classes. Usually the prep classes are used to improve core GPA for qualifying...so someone is confused.

From what I have been told both Prater and KJ had the same issue. Test scores not GPA.

i could be wrong but my understanding is kids who don't qualify need to either attend prep school or go the JUCO route. I suppose their may be an option to just stay home and take the test. regardless, i am sure they provided him resources to improve his test scores.

It depends. There are two reasons why a kid might not qualify--first, he might not have satisfied the miminum standards for core classes or have a high enough GPA, in which case he'd need to complete those type of courses at a prep school to fulfill those requirements and / or bring his GPA up to the minimum acceptable level.

The second reason is that the kid might have completed the necessary minimum threshold of core courses, but lacks the qualifying score on a standardized test. If that's all the player neesd, then they don't have to attend prep school or a JUCO--they just have to take the test again until they get a qualifying score. Many kids DO go the prep route, to get better grades [to bring up GPA], get into a structured academic environment [versus preparing on their own, at home], and also because they can play football. But at the end of the day, if they just need that test score then "finishing" prep school isn't important.

If a player doesn't get the qualifying score, the they need to go JUCO and graduate in order to qualify to transfer into a four year school. Certain schools have more or less lenient standards around how that works.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom