WVU, Big East reach settlement | Syracusefan.com

WVU, Big East reach settlement

Time for us to do the same... play Rutgirls twice??!...ugh, get us out of here Doc!!

My thoughts...

The Mountaineers had no choice. Their invitation to the Big 12 was conditional on them joining the conference in 2012. They did what they had to do. Congratulations to them. I think they are an awkward fit in the Big 12 but let's face it, West Virginia is in a gray area between the Midwest, the East and the South and they really don't fit in well anywhere.

The cost to leave 2 years early has been established. It is $20 million. We know the cost to leave on time is $5 million so the cost to leave a year early is probably going to be right about in the middle...$12.5 million or so. If anything, I would guess it would be lower, as we know the Big East has real teams already committed to take the place of Pitt and Syracuse should they leave in 2013.

Since the Big East has already said they don't need to replace escaping programs to play a conference schedule (they can just have league members play each other multiple times), there is no reason Syracuse and Pitt can't leave immediately as well, as long as they are also able to come up with $20 million each.

Let's assume for a minute that the ACC would be willing to do the same deal with Pitt and SU that the Big 12 did with WVU...chip in $1 million each to help with the exit fees. If they did this, Pitt and SU get $12 million each to defray their early exit fees and they would only have to pay an extra $3 million over the $5 million they would have had to pay no matter what. If the ACC could do that, Pitt and Syracuse are as good as gone.

However, if the reports regarding the increases in payouts to the ACC for TV rights resulting from adding SU and Pitt are accurate, ACC schools are only going to get an extra $1 to $2 million dollars each per year for expanding. If the ACC schools all pledged to give Pitt and SU each $1 million, they would actually lose money on the deal. Not sure they will go for that. The only reason they are expanding is to make more money and some of the ACC schools are in really bad shape money wise. Maryland, I am talking about you.

I would expect each school would probably be willing to pledge $500,000K each though. That way, everyone wins...the ACC schools all should at least break even and perhaps make a little extra money in 2012. If that happens, Pitt and Syracuse each get $6 million to defray their exit fees, but will still have to come up with an extra $9 million to leave early.

I don't see that happening. It is time for Chick-Fil-A or Waffle house to step up and award SU and Pitt special $5 million grants to welcome us to the South and get us in the ACC for 2012.

chick-fil-a.jpg
waffle-house.gif

Step up boys. Let's see some of your famous southern hospitality.

we have 1 more year I just dont see anyway we are in the ACC next season. This will be our last year in the Big East and it may not be that bad in the long run as i dont think we are ready for the big time yet

we have 1 more year I just dont see anyway we are in the ACC next season. This will be our last year in the Big East and it may not be that bad in the long run as i dont think we are ready for the big time yet

same thing I've been saying - we're not going anywhere.

I don't see that happening. It is time for Chick-Fil-A or Waffle house to step up and award SU and Pitt special $5 million grants to welcome us to the South and get us in the ACC for 2012.

Don't mock Chick-fil-a! They are serious business down here! :p

We have one more year in the Big East. And to be honest, that doesn't bother me one bit. In the grand scheme of things, having the 2012 season as our official "Going Away" party may not be so bad.

... having the 2012 season as our official "Going Away" party may not be so bad.
It's going to get ugly at some games. Fans of other programs will have all summer to realize what's about to go down. They haven't have time for things to simmer since the departures were announced.

My thoughts...

The Mountaineers had no choice. Their invitation to the Big 12 was conditional on them joining the conference in 2012. They did what they had to do. Congratulations to them. I think they are an awkward fit in the Big 12 but let's face it, West Virginia is in a gray area between the Midwest, the East and the South and they really don't fit in well anywhere.

The cost to leave 2 years early has been established. It is $20 million. We know the cost to leave on time is $5 million so the cost to leave a year early is probably going to be right about in the middle...$12.5 million or so. If anything, I would guess it would be lower, as we know the Big East has real teams already committed to take the place of Pitt and Syracuse should they leave in 2013.

Since the Big East has already said they don't need to replace escaping programs to play a conference schedule (they can just have league members play each other multiple times), there is no reason Syracuse and Pitt can't leave immediately as well, as long as they are also able to come up with $20 million each.

Let's assume for a minute that the ACC would be willing to do the same deal with Pitt and SU that the Big 12 did with WVU...chip in $1 million each to help with the exit fees. If they did this, Pitt and SU get $12 million each to defray their early exit fees and they would only have to pay an extra $3 million over the $5 million they would have had to pay no matter what. If the ACC could do that, Pitt and Syracuse are as good as gone.

However, if the reports regarding the increases in payouts to the ACC for TV rights resulting from adding SU and Pitt are accurate, ACC schools are only going to get an extra $1 to $2 million dollars each per year for expanding. If the ACC schools all pledged to give Pitt and SU each $1 million, they would actually lose money on the deal. Not sure they will go for that. The only reason they are expanding is to make more money and some of the ACC schools are in really bad shape money wise. Maryland, I am talking about you.

I would expect each school would probably be willing to pledge $500,000K each though. That way, everyone wins...the ACC schools all should at least break even and perhaps make a little extra money in 2012. If that happens, Pitt and Syracuse each get $6 million to defray their exit fees, but will still have to come up with an extra $9 million to leave early.

9k=
Z

One thing I didn't take into account is that we would be getting more money from the ACC than the Big East if we played in it in 2012. That extra money would boost our TV revenues from somewhere in the range of $4 million to $14-$15 million. That extra $9 million we would need to leave in 2012 could come from there.

So it is an absolute no brainer to leave the Big East for the ACC in 2012.

Assuming one thing: that the ACC has no phased implementation of revenue sharing for new members. If we start at 50% of revenues and escalate to 100% over a period of 5 years, something like that, the decision becomes much harder.

Haven't seen anything about a phase in policy from the ACC for TV revenue for new members. Has anyone else?

One thing I didn't take into account is that we would be getting more money from the ACC than the Big East if we played in it in 2012. That extra money would boost our TV revenues from somewhere in the range of $4 million to $14-$15 million. That extra $9 million we would need to leave in 2012 could come from there.

So it is an absolute no brainer to leave the Big East for the ACC in 2012.

Assuming one thing: that the ACC has no phased implementation of revenue sharing for new members. If we start at 50% of revenues and escalate to 100% over a period of 5 years, something like that, the decision becomes much harder.

Haven't seen anything about a phase in policy from the ACC for TV revenue for new members. Has anyone else?

No, even break down for everyone. It's a financial no-brainer to leave now for us, and the rest of the ACC.

It's going to get ugly at some games. Fans of other programs will have all summer to realize what's about to go down. They haven't have time for things to simmer since the departures were announced.

What fans? None of them will care because there isn't any of them. Lville will be moving on, USF and Cinci have no fans, UCONN plays in the dome, so that leaves Rutgers

USF and Cinci have no fans,
USF isn't that bad. I was there in '10.. the lower bowl was close to full. Great venue for a road game. Assuming we'll play there again this fall, I expect to hear plenty of comments from their supporters.

Things can change, but i've been told we wont buy our way out this year.

Don't mock Chick-fil-a! They are serious business down here! :p
I am not mocking them.

We're not asking for a handout; just a hand.