WVU has played one road game | Syracusefan.com

WVU has played one road game

Fjoinkay

Starter
It was against Maryland, and the final score was close (I don't know anything else about the game). I'm just stretching here to find reasons to be optimistic about Friday night.

If the piece from the Boston Globe- linked to in another post (which I didn't read)- is correct and WVU is going to the Big12 and that news breaks tonight or tomorrow during the day it could be a distraction for WVU players. This is an even bigger stretch than above, but we've has so many threads about conference expansion why not drop it in here.

WVU players were allowed to spend a night or two away from campus last weekend while SU practiced. This comes on the heels of Holgerson telling the entire world that anyone who knows anything about football can tell that SU football isn't very good. The WVU football players heard that and it registered in their subconscious. It's possible that they might be unconsciously programmed to take this game for granted. Brainwashed by their own coach.

SU could discover that running the ball is the strength of this offense and it opens up everything else. The big mistake for the running game came in game 2 against Rhode Island. HCDM said afterwards that the game plan was unusual in that they planned to throw the ball much more, and they did do that, moved the ball too but struggled to score. I believe if they had run first they would have taken over that game early on which would have opened up the air attack. SU is running the ball well the past 3 games. It is what it is, and it ain't what it ain't.

The offense focuses on picking up first downs (no more 5 consecutive 3 and outs like happened against Tulane). In fact the team matures over the bye week and begins to value focus and consistency. The lack of consistency so far I believe is a symptom of a leadership hole created when last year's class graduated. Those guys were sick of losing and many of them were hyper-focused on competing with themselves to get better and show people they could play in the NFL. This year the team is struggling to find that kind of leadership, but the bye may have catalyzed some deeper growth and leadership. Brainwashed by their own coach.

SU is due for a big win in the Dome man! Why not tomorrow? But if it doesn't happen, it ain't the end of the world. The program is headed in the right direction.

the final score was close... but that was after a furious 4th q maryland comback.

wvu was up 21-28 pts, IIRC

Fjoinkay, it's nice to get a positive post. Very difficult to argue with Marrone that this is the toughest team he has faced since he started coaching. Even the '09 Penn St and Cincy teams are not at the level of this WV team.

We're going to have to come out on fire and they will have to come out flat to keep this game close. ...but there is a reason the game is played.

Maybe I've been sleeping, but where did you hear that Holgerson has been saying we aren't good? I'm referencing the statement below...

"This comes on the heels of Holgerson telling the entire world that anyone who knows anything about football can tell that SU football isn't very good."

Fjoinkay, it's nice to get a positive post. Very difficult to argue with Marrone that this is the toughest team he has faced since he started coaching. Even the '09 Penn St and Cincy teams are not at the level of this WV team.

We're going to have to come out on fire and they will have to come out flat to keep this game close. ...but there is a reason the game is played.

Maybe I've been sleeping, but where did you hear that Holgerson has been saying we aren't good? I'm referencing the statement below...

"This comes on the heels of Holgerson telling the entire world that anyone who knows anything about football can tell that SU football isn't very good."

Good question. I was under the influence of a powerful pure shot of optimism and it clouded my memory (I recommend it big time!). Oliver Luck made that statement.

Go Cuse!!!!!!!

Good question. I was under the influence of a powerful pure shot of optimism and it clouded my memory (I recommend it big time!). Oliver Luck made that statement.

Go Cuse!!!!!!!

Agreed! That makes sense, Oliver certainly did open his mouth, which is now completely filled with an orange boot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom