Yahoo! Sports (Wetzel) article on how SU could be making a mistake leaving the BE | Syracusefan.com

Yahoo! Sports (Wetzel) article on how SU could be making a mistake leaving the BE

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
“Minus the money, it’s a mistake,” said Ron Naclerio, basketball coach at Cardozo High School in Queens, where current SU forward James Southerland played.

“I think it’ll be like Boston College [which left for the ACC in 2005], only on a different scale,” Naclerio said. “Deep, deep inside, Boston College has to admit that leaving the Big East was a mistake. They’ve never been the same.”

Sorry if already posted. I haven't seen it.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...l_syracuse_big_east_storied_era_ending_030812

It's interesting to hear what a high school coach thinks about the move.

I sure will miss the BET.

It's a mistake I can learn to live with quite easily...

It's a mistake I can learn to live with quite easily...

I dont understand why people are so amped to be leaving the Big East. From a football perspective, yes, obviously the move is a great thing. Football has been lousy ever since Vtech, Miami and BC left a few yrs ago. But from BBall standup, its definitely a downgrade. Aside from UNC and DUKE, there are not other top tier teams in the league. It will be awsome to play them in the dome and compete with them on yearly basis but after them, I am not really excited about playing anyone else in that league. Maryland? Gtech? Wake? Yea, they are some quality, prestigious schools but will it be more exciting than playing Nova? Marquette? St Johns(in the garden)? Not mention Uconn and Gtown, games which I think get offset by playing Duke and UNC.

And the ultimate reason I dont want to leave the big east - is the BET. The BET is a fabulous tourney which makes the ACC tourney look like the NBDL playoffs.

Maryland?
Gtech?
Wake?

Yea, they are some quality, prestigious schools but will it be more exciting than playing

Nova?
Marquette?
St Johns(in the garden)?

Yes
Yes
Yes (we will continue to play SJU at the Garden annually)

The only bad thing about leaving the Big East is the BET. It's a big loss, yes, but that's all there is. And if the ACC were to move their tournament to the Garden (or anywhere else in NYC), then there is no downside at all.

Here's the thing though - the BE is not what it used to be and will deteriorate further very quickly. If Syracuse & Pitt didn't leave then it would've been UConn & Rutgers or some other combination of teams. SU saw the writing on the wall and knew it had to get out while the getting was good.

I'll miss the BE and the BE Tourney too but what I'll miss is what they used to be. As another poster already stated, look at the BET Final Four right now - It's Syracuse and Conference USA. That's not the BE I remember or want to be a part of.

Who was the last great player we got from NYC? (Southerland is what he is, but he wasn't really highly regarded coming out of high school).

FB is driving this $$$$ train and the NBE is toast going forward. this is the right long term move for SU. UConn and Rutgers would cut off their nuts if they had any to be going to the ACC.

Reading fans' comments about leaving the Big East, I have noticed some short-sighted remarks:

For starters, an Athletic Director should not base all decisions on how a change in conference affiliation will effect the Men's basketball program. Dr Gross has to do what is in the best interest of ALL sports. Yes, basketball and football are the money makers and without them, our non-revenue sports would suffer immensely (but only because BE media money isnt good enough). The ACC money ensures that the athletic department will be well funded no matter how well the revenue generating sports do. I think that is important.

People (especially BE fans) like to think that we will go the way of Boston College when we move to the ACC. I look at it this way. If we can be competitive in football, basketball and LAX while operating under an outdated, uncompetitive BE media rights deal, then we surely can be competitive in the ACC with even more money. BC has the LARGEST athletic department in the entire ACC...our athletic department isnt nearly as big. I would like to see us keep the same number of sports that we have now and build facilities to ensure that we can be competitive in recruiting. We will get more money and can concentrate that money in only a few areas of need. Once we get all programs up to par (football especially), then we should think about adding more sports.

I might agree if we were leaving the Big East ... but the conference we are leaving is not the Big East anymore.

DePaul
Boise State
San Diego State
TCU
Louisville
DePaul
South Florida
Cincinnati
Navy(?)
Southern Methodist
Houston
Central Florida

...I mean, cmon. You could drape the entire Dome in ebony fleece with all the black sheep in the Big East now. You could take all the strange new teams added to the Big East in just the last 5 years and create a separate new conference... and it would be one of the biggest conferences in the country.

AND...think about this - if UConn and/or Rutgers/Notre Dame eventually come to the ACC then you could have a 'northern' ACC division that could consist of Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, UConn and Rutgers/ND. Not to mention the fact that Miami and Va. Tech have a Big East tour of duty on their CVs.

AND...think about this - if UConn and/or Rutgers/Notre Dame eventually come to the ACC then you could have a 'northern' ACC division that could consist of Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, UConn and Rutgers/ND. Not to mention the fact that Miami and Va. Tech have a Big East tour of duty on their CVs.

And that to my mind is why it won't happen.

To bring a couple of Northeastern teams into the ACC is OK. But to radically shift the center of power --- or to create another mini-conference and share power with it --- is not something the ACC core is going to do.

And that to my mind is why it won't happen.

To bring a couple of Northeastern teams into the ACC is OK. But to radically shift the center of power --- or to create another mini-conference and share power with it --- is not something the ACC core is going to do.

It has a prayer of coming about if ND decides they need their football in a conference, which would only happen if a conference champions playoff model wins the day (very unlikely).

But if that were to happen, and ND chooses the ACC over the Big Ten (another if), the league will still have 10 southern schools (1 of which might as well be in the northeast), 5 northeastern schools, and 1 midwest school that might as well be in the northeast.

Cheers,
Neil

It has a prayer of coming about if ND decides they need their football in a conference, which would only happen if a conference champions playoff model wins the day (very unlikely).

But if that were to happen, and ND chooses the ACC over the Big Ten (another if), the league will still have 10 southern schools (1 of which might as well be in the northeast), 5 northeastern schools, and 1 midwest school that might as well be in the northeast.

Cheers,
Neil

That's the thing...Miami and Maryland may be SOuth of the Mason-Dixon but Culturally they are about as "Southern" as Syracuse.

I think going to the ACC is going to help us quite a bit. Our past teams have always excelled at getting out in transition. Big East teams have played us tough because they all slow it down and really muck everything up and make it a half court game. They know they have to play that slow down grind it out style, which a lot of big east teams use. ACC teams all like to get out and run. Pair this preferred style with the fact that besides UNC and Duke the ACC teams just aren't as good as the big east and I think we'll adapt pretty well. Boeheim is already quoted as saying if anything it's helped recruiting, we're on a roll already recruiting wise, and what better way to establish ourselves as that tip top echelon program than beating Duke or UNC every year. While I hate leaving the big east as I grew up loving the great rivalries, I think long term the move can take our program to another level because of these variables.

How about Cronin's comments after the game - saying something to the effect how could any program want to leave The Big East. I will miss the old Big East as JB talks about it. And I'll definitely miss the BET. I've spent 30 years cheering for SU in The Big East - it will take many years for me to get excited about playing ACC teams. But things change and we move on. What will never change is my love for the Orange!

I won't repeat points I - and others - have made since day 1 on this except to say that from a purely basketball perspective leaving the Big East will be known as the Big Mistake...Cantor's Debacle.
We will be outsiders in our own conference instead of a lynchpin.
And that will not improve over time.

On second thought...I will mention one point because it is so outrageous it is almost beyond words.
How can we just walk away from the only ongoing college hoops rivalry that compares to Duke-UNC?
It's unimaginable that we won't have G-town to hate every year.
(Yes, I know about Missouri & Kansas separating but I don't care about them).

How is it a mistake? We already recruit nationally, going to the ACC is not going to hurt us at all Basketball wise. Boston College was never really that great in football or basketball in the first place, their problems stem from a LOT more than just the conference switch.

I might agree if we were leaving the Big East ... but the conference we are leaving is not the Big East anymore.

DePaul
Boise State
San Diego State
TCU
Louisville
DePaul
South Florida
Cincinnati
Navy(?)
Southern Methodist
Houston
Central Florida

...I mean, cmon. You could drape the entire Dome in ebony fleece with all the black sheep in the Big East now. You could take all the strange new teams added to the Big East in just the last 5 years and create a separate new conference... and it would be one of the biggest conferences in the country.

Not sure if you're talking about the new BE football conf or hoops conference here since your list of schools is a mix of both types of schools. As far as hoops go, you forgot memphis and Temple. I realize rivalries like SU/UCONN will be forever changed now and can't be measured by ratings and rankings, but if you go by current RPI ratings, here's what you get:

old BE
Cuse 1
MU 7
GU 10
Lville 25
UCONN 33
ND 35
USF 40
WVU 51
SH 60

New BE
MU 7
GU 10
Temple 14
Memphis 18
Lville 25
UCONN 33
ND 35
USF 40
SH 60
UCF 61

Sorry if already posted. I haven't seen it.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...l_syracuse_big_east_storied_era_ending_030812

It's interesting to hear what a high school coach thinks about the move.

I sure will miss the BET.

He is a high school basketball coach and not a D1 athletic director for a reason. The BE is a clusterf*** that is driven by small hoops-only schools. They have made bad decision after bad decision. There is a reason why Miami, VT, and BC left. There is a reason why SU, Pitt, and WVU left. There is a reason why UCONN, Rutgers, Louisville, Cincy, and USF would get on their knees and perform whatever act necessary to get into the ACC

Will I miss playing G'town, UCONN, SJU, and Nova in hoops? Yes. Will I miss the BET? Eh...I never attended one and its' sole purpose is to make $$$ for the conference. It's a nice spectacle with some good hoops, but so is the regular season. I realize that rubs some folks the wrong way, but so be it. Will I miss anything else about the BE? No, not really.

If the BE really cared about the Cuse/GT rivalry, they wouldn't have deprived us of the home-and-home series every single year.

The difference between us and BC is that we are historically great in both football and basketball. BC historically blows. We are national, they never really were.

Cheers,
Neil

Omni - Lots of things have a prayer of happening. This particular fantasy appeals to people who long for the old Big East conference.

If I'm in the Southern schools group within the ACC I have to be concerned about reaching a "tipping point" in which the ACC is no longer what it once was. Big East fans should be able to identify with that as they prepare to watch two C-USA teams battle for the Big East championship. (Chis Mullin, Ewing and The Pearl are distant memories)

If ND were to join a Conference, The Big 10 has to be the runaway favorite. Afterall, they have already been invited once and came close to accepting. The Big 10 makes sense for them geographically, historically, culturally and logistically. The only argument for the ACC I can see is that the smaller size of the ACC schools seems more compatible with ND's.

Omni - Lots of things have a prayer of happening. This particular fantasy appeals to people who long for the old Big East conference.

If I'm in the Southern schools group within the ACC I have to be concerned about reaching a "tipping point" in which the ACC is no longer what it once was. Big East fans should be able to identify with that as they prepare to watch two C-USA teams battle for the Big East championship. (Chis Mullin, Ewing and The Pearl are distant memories)

If ND were to join a Conference, The Big 10 has to be the runaway favorite. Afterall, they have already been invited once and came close to accepting. The Big 10 makes sense for them geographically, historically, culturally and logistically. The only argument for the ACC I can see is that the smaller size of the ACC schools seems more compatible with ND's.

Some excellent thoughts in your post. But I think the ACC has passed the "tipping point" already out of necessity. And this is because of two major factors - football and TV markets.

The ACC was the most geographically tightly-knitted conference of them all as well as being the greatest 9-team basketball conference ever (with only the Big East capable of matching it for a short period of time in the 80s). It was never truly a football conference and only regarded slightly above the Big East in that sport mainly because the BE's dregs were worse than theirs and because Pitt was such a horrible program during the 90s.

Expansion back in 2003 is when I believe the league fought its fight against "northern aggression" in terms of college athletics and is why VT beat out SU for a spot and even had BC put on a backburner while they searched in vain for another "southern candidate" (Florida, Georgia, and Kentucky all contacted) or at least a football King (ND) if they had to settle outside the South.

When that failed and they ultimately expanded with Miami, VT, and BC they were hoping to become a real competitor to the SEC in football. Unfortunately they basically became SEC-Lite, even with VT (which has been their best football program) over SU. In the meantime, the SEC has become a monster in football that no one seems capable of catching. I suppose eventually the SEC will come back down to earth somewhat, but as we all know perception in football is even more important than reality so even if that were to occur the latter part of this decade, it wouldn't be widely begrudgingly acknowledged until toward the end of the next decade at best.

I think the ACC knows now that even though they won the initial battle against "northern aggression" back in 2003, the "southern strategy" has taken them as far as it can - which is close to being Big East level in a new collegiate landscape that is likely to place the Big East at the CUSA/Mountain West level of the previous landscape.

They will never rule the South in terms of football as long as the SEC is around. And as repugnant as it may still be to the power players in that conference, I think they are slowly realizing the only thing they can do to try and turn things around so that they don't potentially lose members to the SEC, BiG, or even the Big 12, is change up the game - give up trying to be top dog in the South and rebrand as the top dog for the entire East Coast. It's obviously distasteful to them, considering the stealth expansion with SU and Pitt with very little fanfare even after the deed was done.

As for ND, I don't disagree with anything you said. But I do believe that the moves the ACC has made in their past two expansions has taken them from virtually out of the running to almost 50/50 with the BiG.

Cheers,
Neil