Y'all should read this... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Y'all should read this...

Yes ... The 15th and 16th schools.

And unless one of these is ND, htere aren't going to be a 15th or 16th school. Adding SU and Pitt allowed the ACC to reopen the contract negotiations and to go after PAC 10/12 price levels.

This is what the UConn governor was talking about. The UConn president can fly around the Southeast forever. A 15th school ain't happeneing unless its ND. Then they'll need a 16th to get to the "2 Additional Schools" trigger.
exactly, 15 and 16 will not happen until ND goes out and gets married. as long as theyre single, there will be a spot for them at the acc, b1g and b12 table. b1g may even stay at 13, hell, they stayed at 11 for 20+ years. if nd does not choose the acc, then you will see the rut/storz package.

UNLESS the b1g takes rut, which i still believe is more of a target for both the acc and b1g, than storz is.

full disclosure: i realize that many of you either care not to believe this or dont have the ability to understand.

exactly, 15 and 16 will not happen until ND goes out and gets married. as long as theyre single, there will be a spot for them at the acc, b1g and b12 table. b1g may even stay at 13, hell, they stayed at 11 for 20+ years. if nd does not choose the acc, then you will see the rut/storz package.

UNLESS the b1g takes rut, which i still believe is more of a target for both the acc and b1g, than storz is.

full disclosure: i realize that many of you either care not to believe this or dont have the ability to understand.

My head agrees with RU over UConn. But if ND does choose the ACC, I think they will have a greater say in who is #16. And with the Irish, who knows who they will want? It could even be...gulp...Temple?!?

*sarcasm alert with that final comment/question*

Cheers,
Neil

Exactly, 44.

What's curious is that given this --- which I believe is true --- why aren't the Big East teams furiously reformulating the Conference? Is it that they don't know what to do?

I imagine this is the impetus (trying to add some class to this thread) to SU and Pitt realizing that staying in the BE was not the best choice for their schools. My guess is they are waiting... waiting... waiting... for something to happen. They probably really have no idea what to do. I guess what can they do other then adding Central Florida, ECU, and some other schools like that.

The ACC basically used Syracuse and Pitt to get another $2M/school for the life of the contract.
Had the ACC media contract be on par with the PAC-12 & Big XII, Syracuse would still be doing the Providence Polka.

I'm sure we don't care at all why we got in, just grateful we did get in and have a seat at the Big Boys Table.

Still, SU & Pitt were the best two "realistic" candidates available to get the contract renegotiated. So we can take some comfort in that.

Cheers,
Neil

I am just lotto dreaming here.....

...but imagine if ND said they'd enter with PSU? I bet that would get the contact over $30m/year.

full disclosure:i realize that many of you either care not to believe this or dont have the ability to understand.

First of all this is absolutely believable. Secondly, how can one not care?

Rutgers and UConn can only get in the ACC as a pair if the ACC gives up on ND ... at some point in the future. And even then, you have to wonder why. They'd have to have a huge incremental impact on the TV contract. And after a few years of wondering around in "The New C-USA"desert, their value is going to be seriously tarnished.

The teams that are available to add to "The New C-USA" are awful. ECU? Houston? Memphis? We've talked about them for years as Big East candidates.

The Fucillo-HUGE winners in conference realignment thus far are SU, Pitt, and Utah. I can't believe how we went from teetering to all set, overnight, with such little warning.

A Little more from the ACC perspective.

GREENSBORO — In the changing landscape of college athletics, not every victory comes on the court or the playing field.

Some come in meeting rooms, on conference calls and behind podiums.

The Atlantic Coast Conference won such a victory Sunday.

The league announced it had added two universities from the Big East Conference, Pittsburgh and Syracuse.

And in the process, the ACC became the first major conference in the nation with 14 football teams.

As universities around the country consider jumping from one conference to another in search of what they call “financial stability,” the expansion will bring millions more into the ACC.

“It simply ensures that the ACC will not only survive but that it will thrive,” said Kim Strable, president of the Greensboro Sports Commission, which helps recruit sporting events to the city.

“Conferences sitting at 12 were vulnerable,” Strable said. “If you lose a member or two … your ability to leverage TV contracts and sponsorships is weakened.

“Conversely, those that have strengthened their positions by adding members (can) leverage even more opportunities for their schools. ... Opportunities translate into dollars in big-time athletics.”

• More media exposure.

By expanding its geographic footprint, the ACC has added two major media markets — the states of Pennsylvania and New York.

The league now has universities in or near the key media centers along the Eastern seaboard, stretching from Miami to Boston.

I imagine this is the impetus (trying to add some class to this thread) to SU and Pitt realizing that staying in the BE was not the best choice for their schools. My guess is they are waiting... waiting... waiting... for something to happen. They probably really have no idea what to do. I guess what can they do other then adding Central Florida, ECU, and some other schools like that.

What some of them are doing -- UConn and WVU --- is scrambling to get into one of these Conferences. WVU applied to the ACC and the SEC. UConn is prostrating themselves in front of Swofford, who they were suing a few years ago (Actually personally suing the guy as an individual!)

Until these schools convince themselves that all the lifeboats have left, they aren't going to start bailing the ship.

1st OFF, BOOOOOOOOOOOO.The word ya'll does not exist.My skin is crawling now.

We're in the ACC now. If you dont like it, join the MAC or go Indy.

The Fucillo-HUGE winners in conference realignment thus far are SU, Pitt, and Utah. I can't believe how we went from teetering to all set, overnight, with such little warning.

I'd rather be lucky than good.

It is just. SU has been busting its pick going after Big Time football since the early 1950's. In basketball since the early 1980's That's 60 years in football and 30 in basketball and lacrosse. At the end of the day it was this reputation, this "brand" that saved our azz.

I can't believe how we went from teetering to all set, overnight, with such little warning.

Literally overnight. Went to bed friday night. Woke up saturday morning, checked this board and saw we were going to the ACC with Pitt.

Happy with how this went down. The ACC learned from its past mistake of dragging things out in 2003 and also the clusterf the B12 has made this thing, The ACC was just total radio silence throughout the entire process. I wish I could have been at Big East headquarters when the news came out.

Now that we've had a few weeks to let this sink in, does anyone still think moving to the ACC was a bad move? Was it worth losing the GTown and UConn rivalry?

To me, abso-friggin-lutely.

That the NNBE is explicitly dissing UCF, once again, is mind boggling. USF, their C-USA brethren, and the hoops people (including the guy with the commissioner title) essentially forced Syracuse and Pitt (or anyone else with a chance) out the door.

There's a chance for the the NNBE to (nearly) hold serve and survive... but only if they add the right mix of schools. The Big XII is likely set for a few years if BYU joins. The only immediate domino to fall is Mizzou to the SEC with the associated backfill (UL? WVU?). The remaining programs must grab the best football playing schools available. That means UCF and possibly Houston. Temple is still iffy since that program is currently winning with Golden's recruits. Failure by the remaining schools to either get a new commissioner or have him appoint a football czar coupled with the addition of the proper schools could be fatal.

Oh well... no sense in wasting too much time thinking about the plight of the NNBE.

Go Orange!

Now that we've had a few weeks to let this sink in, does anyone still think moving to the ACC was a bad move? Was it worth losing the GTown and UConn rivalry?

To me, abso-friggin-lutely.

The Georgetown rivalry? We have been playing them once a year and rarely have the games had any real consequence on the title race.

The Georgetown rivalry was dead in the 1990's.

Bring on Duke. Bring on UNC. Bring on Maryland.

I'd rather be lucky than good.

It is just. SU has been busting its pick going after Big Time football since the early 1950's. In basketball since the early 1980's That's 60 years in football and 30 in basketball and lacrosse. At the end of the day it was this reputation, this "brand" that saved our azz.
Good thing SU didn't destroy that"brand"by dropping out of 1-A ball 5-6 years ago.Sometimes good things happen when you dont give up.

Good thing SU didn't destroy that"brand"by dropping out of 1-A ball 5-6 years ago.Sometimes good things happen when you dont give up.

What I said in 2004 or whenever was that de-emphasis was one of the options the University should consider. Just like they did in 1972. I'm an alum. So SU isn't just my local pro team.

I thought the new Big East was going to be a bigger disaster than it turned out to be. And I certainly didn't like being in a conference with Mid-South open enrollment commuter colleges.

This is the best outcome anyone ever imagined. I'm thrilled.

And because I live in DC I can see SU vs. Maryland, UVA, VT and even UNC, Duke, NCSU and Wake.

We're in the ACC now. If you dont like it, join the MAC or go Indy.
UMMM, NOPE.I'm not anywhere near the south.Whenever my family who moved to the south uses that word over the phone i hang up on them.Not gonna change the way i talk because we are in the ACC.

This article shows EXACTLY why UCONN aint coming to the ACC any time soon. The media contract allows for a renegotiation if/when the ACC grows or shrinks by 2 schools.

There's NO WAY the conference leaders are gonna give up that next renegotiation chip for the sake of adding UCONN.

Now, if the Huskies came along with (dare to dream ) ND or State Penn, then UCONN to the ACC would be expedited.

Otherwise, the ACC is gonna wait 'til AFTER they renegotiate this time around.

HEY NOTRE DAME AND PENN STATE YES!!!!!

My head agrees with RU over UConn. But if ND does choose the ACC, I think they will have a greater say in who is #16. And with the Irish, who knows who they will want? It could even be...gulp...Temple?!?

*sarcasm alert with that final comment/question*

Cheers,
Neil

I still think Nova will be in play. Just like in 2003 the BE FB schools are vulnerable and the BBall schools will want to decide who gets in for expansion. Nova has been in discussion for awhile. And I think ND is pushing for Nova to be added. If the BE does add Nova FB, then they could be a candidate for the ACC. Not now of course. But say in 10 years if Nova is a 4-6 W type of program and has a solution for a stadium, would they not be more attractive than RU and UConn? As a school Nova has the most in common with the ACC of the three. They add a presence in Philly, the one East coast city not currently covered by the ACC. They have good BBall and potential in Lax. Even if ND goes B1G at that point the ACC can take RU and Nova to get to 16. If I am UConn I am adamant that Nova not be added to BE FB as it would push UConn down another notch.

If I'm the ACC, my next move is to host my hoops tourney at MSG to increase my presence in that market, and in a few more years add two more teams, assuming ND is not available, and re-negotiate based on the current market.

If I'm the ACC and am responsible for renegotiating the TV deal with ESPN, I'm negotiating 3 different contracts at once.

1) the first contract is for the current 14 team ACC
2) The second contract is for an ACC with Notre Dame and UConn.
3) The third contract is for an ACC with Notre Dame and Penn State.

During this entire process, I would have Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick and Penn State AD Tim Curley on speed dial. "Guys, if you join the ACC together, this is what we'd make...if you join with UConn, we'd all make $xxx"

I would be giving both of them the hard sell trying to get them into the league.

If I'm the ACC and am responsible for renegotiating the TV deal with ESPN, I'm negotiating 3 different contracts at once.

1) the first contract is for the current 14 team ACC
2) The second contract is for an ACC with Notre Dame and UConn.
3) The third contract is for an ACC with Notre Dame and Penn State.

During this entire process, I would have Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick and Penn State AD Tim Curley on speed dial. "Guys, if you join the ACC together, this is what we'd make...if you join with UConn, we'd all make $xxx"

I would be giving both of them the hard sell trying to get them into the league.

It's nice having a commissioner with a vision and with the balls to make that vision happen. I have no idea if Notre Dame or Penn State have any interest whatsoever joining the ACC, but if they do, at least we can trust that Swofford can get it done.

A football conference with ND, PSU and FSU (Michigan, OSU and Nebraska) as its anchors with GT, Clemson, Miami and VT as the 2nd tier (Wisconsin)...then historic programs like Syracuse, Pitt, BC and Maryland (Iowa, maybe Minnesota). That would be the undisputed #2 conference most years with a legit chance to be the best.

Basketball with anchors of UNC, Duke, Syracuse, 2nd tier of Pitt, Maryland, Wake, NC State and ND.

That would be a truly great conference and would own and possibly even get an ACC network on a basic cable package in NYC and NYS, New England, Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, VA, DC and NC. Major presence in SC, GA and Florida. And ND would give the ACC a major Chicago presence.

Probably wont happen though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom