Yelling "O" during the National Anthem | Syracusefan.com

Yelling "O" during the National Anthem

Jeremy L.

2018 Iggy Regular Season Record Winner
I've noticed a few threads about tradition/fan interaction (standing and clapping, the wave). One thing I do not believe has been discussed is people yelling "O" during the anthem. The students started it, and they let their voices be heard! But when they are out of town, the anthem is silent.

I personally believe this is something we could start doing as a fan base. It can be done at the Dome or on the road. It's not a long chant we need to know the words for either.

What do we think?

005387516_o_face.jpg

Like others have said, I find it disrespectful. I also don't like it when fans start cheering loudly before the anthem ends. I'm old school that way I guess, but then again I'm probably older than many on this board.

its been acknowledged here before, some students had asked vets about it (somehow vets and students talked about it) What came out of it was the vets said it was rude and disrespectful, so the students stopped it I thought?

always find it interesting when cornell does the RED to see how many cornell fans have traveled to a game

Unfamiliar with this O thing. When in the anthem and why would this be done, other than I guess at the very beginning??? Seems mocking of the singer and disrespectful. Maybe that is the point, people looking for an excuse to be d!cks.

its been acknowledged here before, some students had asked vets about it (somehow vets and students talked about it) What came out of it was the vets said it was rude and disrespectful, so the students stopped it I thought?

lol

Unfamiliar with this O thing. When in the anthem and why would this be done, other than I guess at the very beginning??? Seems mocking of the singer and disrespectful. Maybe that is the point, people looking for an excuse to be d!cks.

O say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave...

What is the point? If you want to sing along with the anthem, great. But to center on what letter???? I don't want to hit it too hard but I do find it disrespectful.

I've noticed a few threads about tradition/fan interaction (standing and clapping, the wave). One thing I do not believe has been discussed is people yelling "O" during the anthem. The students started it, and they let their voices be heard! But when they are out of town, the anthem is silent.

I personally believe this is something we could start doing as a fan base. It can be done at the Dome or on the road. It's not a long chant we need to know the words for either.

What do we think?

If you want to act like a dummy from Maryland have at it.

Living in the DMV it's the moment I always shudder at during a sporting event.

The O is for "Orange". That's why it's done. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it's not a random screaming of the letter "O". As an alum, I miss the Hey Song too. Brings back great memories of our national championship season and sitting in that student section for my senior year.

Here in Kansas City, all the Chiefs fans yellow home of the Chiefs instead of "home of the brave" at the end of the anthem and I've always found that obnoxious as hell and criticized them for it. While yelling O isn't quite as bad - it's not totally changing the lyrics, I still find it obnoxious considering the song is our national anthem. I guess I don't think it's asking too much for people to be respectful for a 2-3 minute national anthem.

It's disrespectful to sing along to the national anthem with enthusiasm. What a time to be alive.

Its a Baltimore Oriole tradition...if you have ever been to Camden Yards you would understand
It goes back to Wild Bill Hagy who would spell out Orioles as a cheer
Well you cannot have Orioles without an O
I think it is pretty cool and not disrespectful at all
Everyone is standing w hand over heart
Those offended should lighten up
BTW I am 57

Now lets freakin beat Pitt

OO44