Yelling "O" during the National Anthem | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Yelling "O" during the National Anthem

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure we stole R&R part 2 from UMD when they came up for the East Regional in 2002.

That was a way better tradition.

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure we stole R&R part 2 from UMD when they came up for the East Regional in 2002.

That was a way better tradition.

Go find some Rutgers outpost and tell that to Nancy Cantor.

Bring back Amen.

I hate it. Really classless.

I do like the "Hey" song. I also like the Hawaii Five-O and Mission: Impossible themes.

I love it. Practically all sports traditions are stolen from somebody or hard to ascertain the origin of. I said in the other thread that we have enough traditions that aren't ours that we don't need to add more, but I'm cool with keeping this one.

And to those saying it's disrespectful, it's disrespectful to who? America lol?

The "modification" to it started in 2002-2003, at least that I can remember.

You mean the F em up part and the hand wave?

I can say 100% we were doing that in at least 2000 because I specifically remember doing it like 10 times at that early season UCONN game because we beat the out of them and they kept taking timeouts.

You mean the F em up part and the hand wave?

I can say 100% we were doing that in at least 2000 because I specifically remember doing it like 10 times at that early season UCONN game because we beat the . . . . out of them and they kept taking timeouts.

Yeah. I can confirm this.

Fair enough. Doesn't make much of a difference. Still wish we did it.

And to those saying it's disrespectful, it's disrespectful to who? America lol?

Yeah this is the part I don't get. Maybe it's not for you personally but how is it disrespectful?

Yeah this is the part I don't get. Maybe it's not for you personally but how is it disrespectful?

It's disrespectful to the country to those who respect the anthem and most especially to the person singing it. I enjoy hearing our anthem singers and hate it when their performance is interrupted by a bunch of clowns shouting "O".

It's disrespectful to the country to those who respect the anthem and most especially to the person singing it. I enjoy hearing our anthem singers and hate it when their performance is interrupted by a bunch of clowns shouting "O".

I can see it being disrespectful to the singer but personally I like it when everyone is singing together. I don't agree with it being disrespectful to the country. They are paying attention, know the words, and are singing the anthem.

So I don't respect the anthem because I like people yelling "Oh"? That doesn't seem right.

A lot of the singers, especially ones familiar with the tradition, seem to be cool with it and play along when they get to that note. I'm no singer, but I imagine it's nice to have the crowd you're singing for be engaged with your performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
289"]It's disrespectful to the country to those who respect the anthem and most especially to the person singing it. I enjoy hearing our anthem singers and hate it when their performance is interrupted by a bunch of clowns shouting "O".[/QUOTE]

So I don't respect the anthem because I like people yelling "Oh"? That doesn't seem right.

A lot of the singers, especially ones familiar with the tradition, seem to be cool with it and play along when they get to that note. I'm no singer, but I imagine it's nice to have the crowd you're singing for be engaged with your performance.[/QUOTE]

They're not engaged with your performance if they are interrupting it.

It's debatable whether or not it's an interruption. I've never seen it as detracting from the performance and I've never seen a singer stumble because of it.

It's debatable whether or not it's an interruption. I've never seen it as detracting from the performance and I've never seen a singer stumble because of it.

I have. And I'd rather listen to the singer that some clown shouting "O" in my ear.

My dad - a WWII vet - couldn't understand why the national anthem is played at every two-bit sports event.
It was supposed to be something special.
The tie to sports started in WWI (before the song was even the national anthem) and took hold during WWII to remember the troops. Somehow it stuck.

But as far as tradition goes...we had a great ORIGINAL one dropped in our laps and refused to seize it:
Think of the possibilities by refining this:
(Starts about 1:08 in)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom