You are looking live... | Syracusefan.com

You are looking live...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Brent Musburger, one of the most recognized and prominent voices in the history of sports television, will end his play-by-play career with ABC/ESPN at the end of January, it was announced Wednesday.

The 77-year-old Musburger, who brought his folksy delivery to countless games -- most beginning with his "You are looking live" catchphrase -- since entering the national stage in 1975, will call his final game Jan. 31 on ESPN as the Kentucky Wildcats host Georgia at Rupp Arena (9 p.m. ET).

Musburger to call final game for ESPN on Jan. 31

His announcing was one of several reasons the SU-Miami 92 game was so indelible. Sadly that was one of the last big SU games he covered in either sport if I'm not mistaken. I have to be mistaken, right? That was 25 years ago!

His announcing was one of several reasons the SU-Miami 92 game was so indelible. Sadly that was one of the last big SU games he covered in either sport if I'm not mistaken. I have to be mistaken, right? That was 25 years ago!

I can't think of too many but I know he and Bob Knight did the Georgetown game in 2012. One of many reasons that that was a memorable game.

For football, I don't know. He must've done a couple in the late '90s, maybe at Michigan?

Bummer, hope he's doing OK. Seems an odd time to leave.

First Verne, now Brent. We're losing distinctive voices more quickly than new ones emerge.
Wonder if this has at least a little to do with Brent's odd support of Joe Mixon recently.

I can't think of too many but I know he and Bob Knight did the Georgetown game in 2012. One of many reasons that that was a memorable game.

For football, I don't know. He must've done a couple in the late '90s, maybe at Michigan?

He definitely did SU at Michigan. I remember he was going over the starting lineups and said that Keith Bulluck, who is from New City, was from "New York City."

The things I remember. :crazy:

He definitely did SU at Michigan. I remember he was going over the starting lineups and said that Keith Bulluck, who is from New City, was from "New York City."

The things I remember. :crazy:
Yup. He actually walked through our tailgate outside the stadium. Great pregame moment followed by a Tom Brady a$$ whoopin.

Odd. I do not recognize that (as his) catchphrase. Isn't he the guy who always calls "touchdown" way before the guy actually reaches the end zone.

I didn't really like musberger, as i thought he had an anti-SU bias, and i read a not-so-cool story about him once. But, when he was doing a game, it just felt Huge. Good broadcaster.

Brent Musburger, one of the most recognized and prominent voices in the history of sports television, will end his play-by-play career with ABC/ESPN at the end of January, it was announced Wednesday.

The 77-year-old Musburger, who brought his folksy delivery to countless games -- most beginning with his "You are looking live" catchphrase -- since entering the national stage in 1975, will call his final game Jan. 31 on ESPN as the Kentucky Wildcats host Georgia at Rupp Arena (9 p.m. ET).

Sounds like a job for TrickySU

Bummer, hope he's doing OK. Seems an odd time to leave.

First Verne, now Brent. We're losing distinctive voices more quickly than new ones emerge.
Verne will continue to do college basketball and the Masters, as far as I know.

This smells like ESPN pushing him out and him cooperating to save his legacy. He should go home to CBS or the Big Ten network/Fox.

The article says he is moving to Vegas to help his family start a sport handicapping business. I wonder if ESPN would prefer one of their announcers not be involved in that?

The article says he is moving to Vegas to help his family start a sport handicapping business. I wonder if ESPN would prefer one of their announcers not be involved in that?
Maybe. I would speculate the Mixon backlash and ESPN being more progressive pushed this.
Verne got a year long send off. ESPN is barely honoring the second greatest college play by play behind Keith Jackson out the door with barely a week notice.
Brent wouldn't be smart to fight ESPN because he doesn't want the backlash on his legacy.

Maybe. I would speculate the Mixon backlash and ESPN being more progressive pushed this.
Verne got a year long send off. ESPN is barely honoring the second greatest college play by play behind Keith Jackson out the door with barely a week notice.
Brent wouldn't be smart to fight ESPN because he doesn't want the backlash on his legacy.

This article sheds some light on it. It does mention the Mixon situation and also what I referred to.

Brent Musburger to retire from sportscasting Jan. 31

He said he's not ready to fully retire (''I don't do shuffleboard well,'' he said), but his decision lets ESPN escape from an uncomfortable decision. Having a broadcaster of college games publicly identified with a sports handicapping business wouldn't fly. That accounts for the odd timing of his departure in the middle of the college basketball season; his family wants the site fully operational by the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

Top notch play by play guy. Great career.

I hope he does an infomercial. I used to love seeing these on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. I can still remember the 1991 SU game at FSU all the guys on the show had SU as their lock of the week. They were wrong.

C3bx8JTUEAAs6NM.jpg

One of the earliest memories I have of him was calling the John Thompson ejection game in 88 or 89. The broadcast opened with his "You are looking live at raucous Carrier Dome" or something along those lines as the camera panned in on the crowd with the CBS college hoops tune blaring. This was a time when nationally televised weekend games were a big deal. 12 year old me could have jumped to the moon at that point I was so charged up.

Wonder if this has at least a little to do with Brent's odd support of Joe Mixon recently.

I thought his comments were pretty tame actually, said he believes in second chances. Who can argue with that? If anyone should be taking heat over Joe Mixon, it is OU, nothing a sportscaster can do to police a University willing to soft pedal assault on a female like that.

I also wonder whenever an announcer shares an opinion like that, how much of it comes from the home office? He said those comments early on as I recall, like the 1Q. Maybe ESPN insisted he get it out of the way early, offer a lame dismissal of it, and move on to the game. That would explain why John Saunders and others defended the ridiculous BCS. They didn't honestly think it was better than a playoff, did they? That's absurd. But ESPN needed you to think that as part of their marketing of that charade.