You are OC for a day- what 3 changes are you making to the play book? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

You are OC for a day- what 3 changes are you making to the play book?

Hire these two guys as consultants, then install the West Coast Offense...
download (1).jpeg
Bill-Walsh-American.jpg

The challenge with #3 is that the longer passing routes require additional time to develop, which is a luxury our OL has not afforded DeVito.

One reason, IMO, is because so many of the passes are on obvious passing downs. If some of these passes are on 1st and 10, the pass D won't be as aggressively keyed on it.

I will admit to being confused about the claim that we take what the defense gives us.

In many cases, it appears the defense gives us nothing.

In other cases, it appears we run directly into the defense.
True so true

1. First play of the game, play action bomb. Just send it
2. At least 3 screen attempts to Jordan
3. Benson gets at least 3 targets in the pass game working the middle of the field

These are just things I would like to see Sat.

1: Pass 75% on first down.
2: Pass 75% on Second down
3: Pass 75% on Third down

This team will not be able to effectively run the ball this year on any ACC team. Not one D is going to worry about Tommy keeping the ball in the RPO which basically negates that scheme. Runs should miss direction in nature and should never rely on Tommy being an option.
The majority of our first down throws should be no more than 15 yard routes with lots of picks and the use of our TEs. If we play with pace lets go quick and get the ball to JJ Taj or one of the slot wrs quickly and see if they can make someone miss.
Basically quick short throws to create a rhythm.
But above all get rid of the RPO as our guys simply cant execute it.

I’d go back in time to 1998 and recruit Michael Vick to play for Dino.

1) quick passes on first down with minimal reads.
2) running plays that are designed to get JJ outside where he at least has the opportunity to outrun someone if it isn't blocked perfectly
3)Go deep once you have LB's worried about the shallow middle of the field and DB's thinking about quick outside passes/screens

Reintroduce the Greg Robinson quick kick by the QB on 3rd and long? Or maybe even 2nd and long? (Apologies. I promised myself I wouldn't get bitter/snarky this early in the season and look what I've done!)
Didn't Darryl Johnston do those 3rd down quick kicks frequently back in the day? I know I saw him do that 2 or 3 times at least.

Great ask
1.Get back to tempo and pace and make the opposing D not sub.
2. Start running more combo routes to minimize our lack of talent at this position. Every team, college and pro, uses crossing routes to spring guys open.
3. For the love of God!!!!...use the middle of the field instead of throwing into double or triple coverage on the sideline...1 or 2 defenders and the sideline.
4. I know, I know...play young talent with size and speed. On the job training. Never been a fan of the johnsons and even the bubbles to riley. We need size and presence at the wr position
5. I know, I know, I know;)...use Hackett and his talents in play action, benson still belongs in the slot. All the talk of pass protection last week and this fast, talented kid, was kept in to pass protect.

Great ask
2. Start running more combo routes to minimize our lack of talent at this position. Every team, college and pro, uses crossing routes to spring guys open.
3. For the love of God!!!!...use the middle of the field instead of throwing into double or triple coverage on the sideline...1 or 2 defenders and the sideline.
4. I know, I know...play young talent with size and speed. On the job training. Never been a fan of the johnsons and even the bubbles to riley. We need size and presence at the wr position
5. I know, I know, I know;)...use Hackett and his talents in play action, benson still belongs in the slot. All the talk of pass protection last week and this fast, talented kid, was kept in to pass protect.
Great ask
you are right we should have combo routes
And speed outs and comebacks and digs the big boy execution throws . You have the Qb for that . Thankfully Gilbert realized Something formation wise and has addressed it I saw it all game . Can’t tell you ...
But that’s not this offense but great coaches adapt . Huddle up slow it down your not out scoring teams with this cast plain and simple
Tommy is gonna let it fly more we have no choice let’s hope our WRs can win without turning it over . I just gave him the best advti can !! DOOR DASH A PRIMANTI BROTHERS SANDWICH! Can u imagine I’m a life long steeler fan and I can’t watch my son play in that stadium! Sucks just sucks

you are right we should have combo routes
And speed outs and comebacks and digs the big boy execution throws . You have the Qb for that . Thankfully Gilbert realized Something formation wise and has addressed it I saw it all game . Can’t tell you ...
But that’s not this offense but great coaches adapt . Huddle up slow it down your not out scoring teams with this cast plain and simple
Tommy is gonna let it fly more we have no choice let’s hope our WRs can win without turning it over . I just gave him the best advti can !! DOOR DASH A PRIMANTI BROTHERS SANDWICH! Can u imagine I’m a life long steeler fan and I can’t watch my son play in that stadium! Sucks just sucks

Sucks but is also an honor, mr. Devito. Sacred ground and no better place to get it going. I am all for slowing it down for execution. At the end of the day, that is the bottom line...the result. When clicking and figuring out the young talent, speed is an ally. That said, not impressed with the staffs recruiting and development of the receivers. Just think benson would be great in space and our lean wr on the outside, in the slot. Give some of the young guys with some size a shot on the outside. Tommy needs to relax and let it RIP and not worry about picks. Geeez, he has the arm.

Call the two running backs that are likely to go undrafted and point out the decision made by Shaun Wade from Ohio State to be a team player.

Its just a matter of time, until we get the green notebook back.

I'm with all you with opening it up with the pass, but from watching Gilbert's offenses previously and last week he tends to like to pound it up the middle on 1st down.

I'm with all you with opening it up with the pass, but from watching Gilbert's offenses previously and last week he tends to like to pound it up the middle on 1st down.
Very excited to see it tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom