You know how I know this is a good recruiting class? | Syracusefan.com

You know how I know this is a good recruiting class?

Not having JUCO's means the coaches trust the returning players. That's a big step forward.

It filled out with highschool players and not JUCOs.

Bodes well for the future.

That means that there is more stability in the roster. There is balance in class distribution and unit depth.

Also means that the staff doesn't see any crisis positions that need coverage with older guys.

I don't think that necessarily means anything about the quality of the class.

Well, football is not quite like basketball. If you look at who recruited the Rvls JUCO top 100, pretty much all the best schools are represented:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrec...k-3401/2014;_ylt=AmUatJ2knBkjxqq2T1CZZFtGPZB4
That doesn't really refute my point. Luke Arcienega and Zion Jones are the only ones we've brought in since 2010 on the JUCO Top 100., and Jones barely made it.

I'm happy for every kid that plays for us, but we haven't exactly been skimming the cream from the JUCO ranks. If we're going to reach I'd rather reach on a highschool player than a JUCO.:noidea:

I think it has more to do about the coaches getting the guys they wanted for the system and the strength of the current roster.

Wasn't our top OL prospect that everyone was drooling over a JUCO? I totally forget his name but he ended up a NYS? Mavety maybe?

some pretty good BCS schools take jucos every year..

ya but they are picking off top 25 JC kids. We were snagging Malcolm Howard, John Miller, and Trevon Trejo

Not having JUCO's means the coaches trust the returning players. That's a big step forward.

That's not necessarily true, either. If you look at the list of top 100 JUCO recruits, they have committed to all the top schools - Alabama, Auburn, Tex A&M, Georgia, FSU, Tennessee, the real USC, etc.

I think the idea is promote competition as well. Maybe they don't start, but a good JUCO can sure push your other players.

Also, for example, IIRC, Steve Smith and Ochocino were once teammates at Santa Monica CC. Sometimes it takes a couple years for a troubled kid to straighten his life out at a JUCO. There is no shame in that.

JUCOs can be a tremendous resource for many reasons - they're much more than emergency gap stoppers.

Wayne Williams is a part of this class.
But he was committed very early. Not a signing that happened as signing day approached.

That's not necessarily true, either. If you look at the list of top 100 JUCO recruits, they have committed to all the top schools - Alabama, Auburn, Tex A&M, Georgia, FSU, Tennessee, the real USC, etc.

I think the idea is promote competition as well. Maybe they don't start, but a good JUCO can sure push your other players.

Also, for example, IIRC, Steve Smith and Ochocino were once teammates at Santa Monica CC. Sometimes it takes a couple years for a troubled kid to straighten his life out at a JUCO. There is no shame in that.

JUCOs can be a tremendous resource for many reasons - they're much more than emergency gap stoppers.

I agree that JUCOs can be a resource, but it seems that SU has often been filling depth with them, not adding difference-makers- Tiller being an exception. Nothing against the recent Jucos who have added value in many cases, but I think you'd rather have guys in the program ready to step in.

It's a tool that smart coaches use when they are turning over a roster during a rebuild.

You go for Juco's to fill roster holes due to roster imbalance or needs on the two deep.

If you don't have those issues, you don't need to go that route.

Last edited:
I agree that JUCOs can be a resource, but it seems that SU has often been filling depth with them, not adding difference-makers- Tiller being an exception. Nothing against the recent Jucos who have added value in many cases, but I think you'd rather have guys in the program ready to step in.
This is what I'm getting at.

It filled out with highschool players and not JUCOs.

Bodes well for the future.

UConn didn't bring in any JuCos either but I'm pretty sure their class stinks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom