Young defensive talent | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Young defensive talent

In any event. It's a different discussion. Gonna stop talking about it so we don't completely derail the post here. The defense is awesome. I love the young players and the system

Been a rough year so far. We all know that. Time for some silver linings.

Marlowe Wax, Ja' Had Carter, Stefon Thompson, Geoff Cantin-Arku and Garrett Williams have all shown glimpses of their potential. Carter, Thompson and GCA in particular. Playmakers.

Aman Greenwood, Neil Nunn, Ben Labrosse and Chase Atkinson are also ones to keep an eye on.

That is an impressive stockpile to have in the back 8.

Add in Babers' best class to date this year and there are things to be excited about on the defensive side of the ball. The offense needs to get worked out, but with the impressive class of OL, QB, RB and WR coming in hopefully next year, it makes one grin again.

2020 is a lousy year. The good news is that Babers & Co get to play these kids as much as possible to see what they got.

When we converted to the 3-3-5 this past winter, I think [judging from the reactions on this forum] that most were intrigued, but some posters bemoaned the change -- under the rationale that it would take a couple of years for the players to get comfortable with the new system.

Instead, the early results suggest:
  • We had personnel that were well suited for the shift to 3-3-5 already on the roster
  • The 3-3-5 is a good system for a school like SU that doesn't necessarily land elite recruits
My opinion only, but I believe that the class of 2020 was underrated by a significant portion of our fanbase, and the early contributions made by some true frosh are beginning to show that. I also think that the class of 2021 is equally as good, if not better -- Dino and the staff are really laying the foundation for sustained success / depth.

Tony White has been a good hire. The personnel we already have fits well into his 3-3-5. Given the youth, if Trill and Cisco come back, that will be huge for next year. Cisco seems unlikely at this point.

Biggest issue is the dead legs of the defense with all of these 3 and outs on offense. The defense plays fast and hard in the 1st half, but it becomes deflating when you take care of your job only to have the offense fall flat on their face. Dino and Gilbert need to get creative as hell this weekend.
I think White is much more in favor of defensive substitution than Ward was, which should mitigate fatigue some.

In other words, I think all defenses in college football today eventually break at some point, because the offenses are simply so much better at scoring than they used to be. But they can also break by wearing down, and that's something we're familiar with. More guys playing fresh is an attempt to prevent the wear down, and help the defense hold.

Last edited:
Its not just two games though. We have two wins against P5 teams in the last 14 games right now. I hope they can see some kind of vision because we need this current class on campus. I'm holding out hope until the games are played out this season but this is the worst offense I've ever seen as a Syracuse fan. I wish that was hyperbole.
True enough, but recruits have got to play some place. Other classes are filling up. So we've got that going for us.

4th quarters aside, they have shown the ability to get stops and not give up cheap scores, which is a huge improvement.
If the offense can get closer to what we have seen from Babers, the team as a whole has a chance to be pretty good.

When we converted to the 3-3-5 this past winter, I think [judging from the reactions on this forum] that most were intrigued, but some posters bemoaned the change -- under the rationale that it would take a couple of years for the players to get comfortable with the new system.

Instead, the early results suggest:
  • We had personnel that were well suited for the shift to 3-3-5 already on the roster
  • The 3-3-5 is a good system for a school like SU that doesn't necessarily land elite recruits
My opinion only, but I believe that the class of 2020 was underrated by a significant portion of our fanbase, and the early contributions made by some true frosh are beginning to show that. I also think that the class of 2021 is equally as good, if not better -- Dino and the staff are really laying the foundation for sustained success / depth.
Really? I'm pretty sure most here were very excited for the 3-3-5.

Tony White has been a good hire. The personnel we already have fits well into his 3-3-5. Given the youth, if Trill and Cisco come back, that will be huge for next year. Cisco seems unlikely at this point.

Biggest issue is the dead legs of the defense with all of these 3 and outs on offense. The defense plays fast and hard in the 1st half, but it becomes deflating when you take care of your job only to have the offense fall flat on their face. Dino and Gilbert need to get creative as hell this weekend.
I figure Cisco and trill are leaving for the draft. We do have some quality younger players at dB.

I think White is much more in favor of defensive substitution than Ward was, which should mitigate fatigue some.

In other words, I think all defenses in college football today eventually break at some point, because the offenses are simply so much better at scoring than they used to be. But they can also break by wearing down, and that's something we're familiar with. More guys playing fresh is an attempt to prevent the wear down, and help the defense hold.
Be nice if Gilbert believed in more substitutions.

one thing the 3-3-5 does is hide some of the issues if you dont have high end skill.. You still need cover DB'S but it makes the work of finding the weak spots harder cause you are not always sure where they will be on the field.

4th quarters aside, they have shown the ability to get stops and not give up cheap scores, which is a huge improvement.
If the offense can get closer to what we have seen from Babers, the team as a whole has a chance to be pretty good.

The defense has made a major leap from last year. Whether it's scheme matching the strengths of our players or just plain coaching, the results are there. We've played 2 pretty good teams so far and the defense held their ground for 6-7 of the quarters we played.

Offense NEEDS to get some things moving this week or the defensive breakdowns will only continue to get worse out of sheer unit frustration.

The defense has made a major leap from last year. Whether it's scheme matching the strengths of our players or just plain coaching, the results are there. We've played 2 pretty good teams so far and the defense held their ground for 6-7 of the quarters we played.

Offense NEEDS to get some things moving this week or the defensive breakdowns will only continue to get worse out of sheer unit frustration.
Yep

I figure Cisco and trill are leaving for the draft. We do have some quality younger players at dB.
If I was trill I would wait one more and be our main stud. Cisco should go as they have him rated higher.

If I was trill I would wait one more and be our main stud. Cisco should go as they have him rated higher.

Maybe but I would argue they put him on Dazz Newsome in the UNC game and UNC didn't even bother going to him very often. That shows Trills quality.

A lot can happen between now and the declaring period, but I'm hopeful both come back. If Cisco is projecting out as a 4th round pick or worse, he should come back. This draft will be loaded with solid safeties and corners.

I think Trill has a shot to play at the next level. No clue what his current grade is though... maybe JackBauer44, CIL or money3189 can help...

I've seen it mentioned numerous times that people assume Trill is leaving. Where is that coming from? Has he been getting mentioned in the media as a high draft prospect? We all know he has great physical tools, but has he produced enough on this level to be noticed?

Last edited:
The top 4 tacklers on D go

Freshman (Williams) CB 15,
Sophomore (Arku) LB 15,
Freshman (Thompson) LB 11 and
Jones (Soph) LB 11.

JaHad Carter checks in at #7 (freshman) Safety with 10.

Wax is the next underclassman at #12 with 5 solos

In terms of guys coming back would Cody Roscoe be able to play again?

and want to give a shoutout to Caleb Okechukwu. Good to see him on the field and in the mix. It's been a long road for him. (Listed as a Redshirt Soph 6-4 257)

I've seen it mentioned numerous times that people assume Trill is leaving. Where is that coming from. Has he been getting mentioned in the media as a high draft prospect? We all know he has great physical tools, but has he produced enough on this level to be noticed?
Yeah that doesn't appear to be a thing except on this board. Cisco on the other hand is fairly high everywhere I've seen and it's obviously been in his head to be 3 and out since being a FR All-American.

A lot can happen between now and the declaring period, but I'm hopeful both come back. If Cisco is projecting out as a 4th round pick or worse, he should come back. This draft will be loaded with solid safeties and corners.

I think Trill has a shot to play at the next level. No clue what his current grade is though... maybe JackBauer44, CIL or money3189 can help...
I completely afree. He could be a lockdown corner. We have some tough ass young corners so he is at safety. I say if he stays he could go second with a crazy sr year. Talent wise I think he is a first rounder but we will see.

I get the sense that White is way more motivational as well.

But who knows, I could just be making things up. Won't be the first time, certainly won't be the last.