Your 2019 Cali Award Thread -- Results! Winners! | Syracusefan.com

Your 2019 Cali Award Thread -- Results! Winners!

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
I begin typing this with a beer to my right, and a jar of our August Syracuse Football hopes and dreams to my left. Though I realize now this is no jar, it is in fact now resembling a dumpster and it’s on fire.

To set the mood here, I request you each leave this thread now and check out the August prediction thread. Go do it.

You back?

Yeah, that thread is a charred ghost town inhabited only by the wandering ghosts of gilded glory.

Doom and gloom aside I will say 2020 is looking like a year where we can afford to be glass half full again, but not Orange Bowl and record books glass half full. We return most of our offense, including a (at least) more experience O line with added depth. We lose the heart and soul of our team in Moe Neal, but I think we have the pieces to pick up his production. Additionally, thank god for Jawhar and Benson those kids will be studs.

Defensively we return the “Jack Boys”, who may have had an uninspiring 2019 but showed glimpses. Cisco, even not having played a full season, did his ballhawk thing and pulled down 5 int’s. If he can improve his lapses in coverage, he could be a real game-changer. Trill saved our asses multiple times this year, that kids a gamer and it’s no surprise so many on the team respect him on and off. Meli showed he can be a lock down corner, we just gotta keep him healthy. With returning vets like Kingsley, Josh, And Bear we should have a good foundation for a solid d. Lets hope, again, the LB’s develop and we’re blessed with another year of good health.

Onto the Awards.

The first punch to the gut...I mean category... is the wins/losses record, We split this into regular season, conference and bowl record. Dear lord this was not a good year for optimism. As we did not reach a bowl, there will be no Cali for this category. That’s right, not one prediction had us missing, let that sizzle. There will also be no Cali for regular season record, as no one was even close to within a game. Cali’s need to measure knowledge and skill, and we all failed to display either in these predictions. Better luck next year here. Guy Fawkes and OrangeAl were the closest at 7-5, so I’ll give you each a pat on the back but no hardware.

Can you believe I predicted we’d beat Georgia in the Orange Bowl. I’m switching now to wine.

Conference Record: We finished a smelly 2-6.

I will award a Cali for this category. It will go to IthacaMatt for his soul 4-4 prediction. He was the only poster pessimistic no, wise enough to predict we’d not finish above .500 in conference. Had even the refs retrieved their craniums from their rear ends during our games vs the Pack, and Pitt, he’d have been the only poster spot on. Here’s to you Matt, sorry if your Cali has tears on it.

Passing:

Yards: 2,360 Tommy DeVito
TDs: 19 Tommy DeVito

We had reputable posters predicting above 3,500 yards and 30 touchdowns. We tasted victory and all of a sudden thought we were the hottest girl at prom. I regress, I don’t blame Tommy for the seemingly underwhelming stats. We have high expectations for this passing scheme under Babers. Tommy’s our guy, I still have faith.

The Cali for Yards Passing goes to kirbivore who predicted 2,828. A little less than 500 off that perhaps TD would have had he not been so badly banged up towards the end of the year. Kirb I’d like to think you saw Tommy as a Redshirt sophomore and said ‘2020 is your year, lessons to be learned in 2019”. We’re not worthy of your wisdom, cheers to you.

The Cali for passing TD’s will go to Guy Fawkes, who needs the regular season record Cali anyways? Guy predicted 19 on the dot. You are a lazer sir, incredible precision. You are a titan amongst midgets, may you laugh at us to yourself in 2020 as we all slowly convince ourselves we’ll have 35 passing touchdowns again.

Rushing:

Yards: Moe Neal 846
TDs: Moe Neal 7

First off let me say Moe Neal was the epitome of class and represented us as well on the field as anyone. He will be missed for his play and friendly but confident demeanor. This was another position greatly effected by our OL’s capitulation. Adams, Howard and Jordan are each reasons for optimism in 2020 though.

The Cali for Yards Rushing goes to JoeySimz who predicted 875 for our man Moe. Several predictions were close, but somebody was a little closer. Congratulations Joey, and here’s to hopefully a thousand yard man in 2020.

Rushing Touchdowns goes to ..

Wait

Whats that?

B’Gawd that’s @care taker’s music!!

Care Taker and kirbivore each predicted 8 for Moe. As we do not believe in ties, We are not Auburn, we will await the tie breaker to be decided on Jan 1, #020. The tie breaker is team recruitment class rank by new years on the site that does not sleep.

Receiving:

Yards: TJ 1023
TDs: TJ 11
Rec: TJ 66

Another position with room for positivity in 2020, wideout gave me mixed feelings in 2019. We seemed undersized and definitely not on the same page as the QB. Perhaps Marek’s been bumming Taj and Jackson bogies between classes, hopefully they add some weight and dominate in 2020. Joking aside, these two have sll the skill in the world. Just need the size and focus to step up to the next level.

Each guessing 1,000 yards receiving for Jackson, sdhall01 and jgeorge322 take this category. This will be another Cali tha t awaits the tie breaker. Thank the lord we at least had a thousand yard receiver. We’ll revisit this category in due time.

For TD’s we had an absolute log jam. I got prematurely excited seeing my big awesome brain pumped out 11 touchdowns for jackson, but alas orangenauburn BomberOrange SU in Hershey sutomcat UpstateSM had to barge in and ruin the party. This category will await the tie breaker as well. Like bnoro , you 5 ruined everything.

Receptions may be our most impressive prediction so far, at 67 for Upstate . Does it ever get difficult? Walking around with such a large brain. So burdened by knowledge? You nearly tasted perfection here, a round of applause for Upstate.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Sorry, I took a look at our Defense predictions and went temporarily blind. What a terribly rough season for our pass rush, my god.

Defense:

Sacks: Berry 5.5
Tackles: L. Williams 110
Interceptions: Cisco 5
TFL: L. Williams 12.5

Boy oh boy, *puts the TFL and Sacks Cali’s back in their crates*.

Nobody predicted Berry would be our fearless leader in sacks. Honestly I thought the pass rush package of Jonathan and Berry, repetitively, seemed more effective than Coleman and Robinson.
To Coleman’s credit he was disruptive all over the line and often blew up the opposing OL. I still think he’ll have a shot on Sundays. Robinson, repetitively doubled, struggled to finish sacks. He whiffed on st least an additional 5-6 sacks. Do not buy stock in the NY Sack exchange..

No one predicted Lakiem Williams would lead in TFL either. It’s now easy to say we were blessed with his presence. He was a high motor, relentless LB who just cherished the chance at Syracuse to display his talents on a bigger national stage. Like Guthrie he provided a lot of positives at a unit of major concern.

Tackles, we did have a winner. Consigliere predicted 108, just two off Williams’ total. I’ve not attended a Fine Mess Tailgate, but I believe it may now be safe to say you are the smartest man there. Here’s your Cali, I suggest you bring it to the next tailgate and draw the admiration of your peers.

Interceptions, another tie. Damn do I hate ties. A tie’s like being forced to Mullen’s wife before getting on the team bus at Gainesville. BomberOrange Cusefan0307 Frozen UpstateSM each guessed correctly at 5 interceptions. You may either fight to the death or await the tie breaker. I’ll see you back here on New Years Day.

2019 was a year of crushing reality. The rebuild of this program was far more substantial to sustain than many realized or admit. Without boring you guys further I will just leave you saying yes you should renew your season tickets. Yes there is light at the end of this tunnel. Dino is our man and he has a plan.

Obviously my predictions make it clear that my words on here should always be taken with a grain of salt.

Here's the original thread:

I probably got smoked worse than any other poster this year (which is saying something since we all pretty much blew this year's predictions)

But if I am going to be off on my predictions, in honor of Cali, I am going to miss by being too optimistic in the upside optionality of new contributors.

Miss Cali big time. Is there a frosh of the year Cali? He loved his recruits!

Special recognition/awards are given to those who fearlessly, correctly predict a freshman leading in a category.

Id be open to your idea though. Would have to be Benson, Bergeron or Jones this year no?

Special recognition/awards are given to those who fearlessly, correctly predict a freshman leading in a category.

Id be open to your idea though. Would have to be Benson, Bergeron or Jones this year no?
Thank you. Id pick Berg. I loved when Cali would get so excited about a recruit. Next thing he was quoting Socrates and talking in tongue. He was the best.

I begin typing this with a beer to my right, and a jar of our August Syracuse Football hopes and dreams to my left. Though I realize now this is no jar, it is in fact now resembling a dumpster and it’s on fire.

To set the mood here, I request you each leave this thread now and check out the August prediction thread. Go do it.

You back?

Yeah, that thread is a charred ghost town inhabited only by the wandering ghosts of gilded glory.

Doom and gloom aside I will say 2020 is looking like a year where we can afford to be glass half full again, but not Orange Bowl and record books glass half full. We return most of our offense, including a (at least) more experience O line with added depth. We lose the heart and soul of our team in Moe Neal, but I think we have the pieces to pick up his production. Additionally, thank god for Jawhar and Benson those kids will be studs.

Defensively we return the “Jack Boys”, who may have had an uninspiring 2019 but showed glimpses. Cisco, even not having played a full season, did his ballhawk thing and pulled down 5 int’s. If he can improve his lapses in coverage, he could be a real game-changer. Trill saved our asses multiple times this year, that kids a gamer and it’s no surprise so many on the team respect him on and off. Meli showed he can be a lock down corner, we just gotta keep him healthy. With returning vets like Kingsley, Josh, And Bear we should have a good foundation for a solid d. Lets hope, again, the LB’s develop and we’re blessed with another year of good health.

Onto the Awards.

The first punch to the gut...I mean category... is the wins/losses record, We split this into regular season, conference and bowl record. Dear lord this was not a good year for optimism. As we did not reach a bowl, there will be no Cali for this category. That’s right, not one prediction had us missing, let that sizzle. There will also be no Cali for regular season record, as no one was even close to within a game. Cali’s need to measure knowledge and skill, and we all failed to display either in these predictions. Better luck next year here. Guy Fawkes and OrangeAl were the closest at 7-5, so I’ll give you each a pat on the back but no hardware.

Can you believe I predicted we’d beat Georgia in the Orange Bowl. I’m switching now to wine.

I will award a Cali for this category. It will go to IthacaMatt for his soul 4-4 prediction. He was the only poster pessimistic no, wise enough to predict we’d not finish above .500 in conference. Had even the refs retrieved their craniums from their rear ends during our games vs the Pack, and Pitt, he’d have been the only poster spot on. Here’s to you Matt, sorry if your Cali has tears on it.

Passing:

We had reputable posters predicting above 3,500 yards and 30 touchdowns. We tasted victory and all of a sudden thought we were the hottest girl at prom. I regress, I don’t blame Tommy for the seemingly underwhelming stats. We have high expectations for this passing scheme under Babers. Tommy’s our guy, I still have faith.

The Cali for Yards Passing goes to kirbivore who predicted 2,828. A little less than 500 off that perhaps TD would have had he not been so badly banged up towards the end of the year. Kirb I’d like to think you saw Tommy as a Redshirt sophomore and said ‘2020 is your year, lessons to be learned in 2019”. We’re not worthy of your wisdom, cheers to you.

The Cali for passing TD’s will go to Guy Fawkes, who needs the regular season record Cali anyways? Guy predicted 19 on the dot. You are a lazer sir, incredible precision. You are a titan amongst midgets, may you laugh at us to yourself in 2020 as we all slowly convince ourselves we’ll have 35 passing touchdowns again.

Rushing:

First off let me say Moe Neal was the epitome of class and represented us as well on the field as anyone. He will be missed for his play and friendly but confident demeanor. This was another position greatly effected by our OL’s capitulation. Adams, Howard and Jordan are each reasons for optimism in 2020 though.

The Cali for Yards Rushing goes to JoeySimz who predicted 875 for our man Moe. Several predictions were close, but somebody was a little closer. Congratulations Joey, and here’s to hopefully a thousand yard man in 2020.

Wait

Whats that?

Care Taker and kirbivore each predicted 8 for Moe. As we do not believe in ties, We are not Auburn, we will await the tie breaker to be decided on Jan 1, #020. The tie breaker is team recruitment class rank by new years on the site that does not sleep.

Receiving:

Another position with room for positivity in 2020, wideout gave me mixed feelings in 2019. We seemed undersized and definitely not on the same page as the QB. Perhaps Marek’s been bumming Taj and Jackson bogies between classes, hopefully they add some weight and dominate in 2020. Joking aside, these two have sll the skill in the world. Just need the size and focus to step up to the next level.

Each guessing 1,000 yards receiving for Jackson, sdhall01 and jgeorge322 take this category. This will be another Cali tha t awaits the tie breaker. Thank the lord we at least had a thousand yard receiver. We’ll revisit this category in due time.

For TD’s we had an absolute log jam. I got prematurely excited seeing my big awesome brain pumped out 11 touchdowns for jackson, but alas orangenauburn BomberOrange SU in Hershey sutomcat UpstateSM had to barge in and ruin the party. This category will await the tie breaker as well. Like bnoro , you 5 ruined everything.

Receptions may be our most impressive prediction so far, at 67 for Upstate . Does it ever get difficult? Walking around with such a large brain. So burdened by knowledge? You nearly tasted perfection here, a round of applause for Upstate.

TO BE CONTINUED...
Great job. I could probably just copy and paste for the IGGY recap.

With the tiebreaker (we opened today ranked 56th in the country for the class of 2020)

Caretaker takes home the rushing touchdowns Cali! (Guessing 52nd for class rank). With that said, Happy New Year to Tommy and the DeVito family!

Receiving yards will be awarded to sdhall01 , a growing Cali Awards legend. This dude’s essentially fan board nostradamus.

Well this is incredibly awkward... sutomcat and orangenauburn were each one off the mark on their bonus predictions. Tomcat guessing 57 and Auburn guessing 55. As we do not believe in ties, I will consult the oracles on how to decide this Cali.

The Interceptions Award goes to Frozen having guessed 57th, congratulations and Happy New Year to you sir.

Last edited:
With the tiebreaker (we opened today ranked 56th in the country for the class of 2020)

Caretaker takes home the rushing touchdowns Cali! (Guessing 52nd for class rank). With that said, Happy New Year to Tommy and the DeVito family!

Receiving yards will be awarded to sdhall01 , a growing Cali Awards legend. This dude’s essentially fan board nostradamus.

Well this is incredibly awkward... sutomcat and orangenauburn were each one off the mark on their bonus predictions. Tomcat guessing 57 and Auburn guessing 55. As we do not believe in ties, I will consult the oracles on how to decide this Cali.

The Interceptions Award goes to Frozen having guessed 57th, congratulations and Happy New Year to you sir.
I will concede the Cali to sutomcat

His contribution to the board is greater

I just need to photoshop a Syracuse hat into this picture:

Nostradamus_by_Cesar.jpg

Last edited:
Such an act of selflessness is unprecedented. We’ll speak of your legend come the third year of Cali Predictions.
I will concede the Cali to sutomcat

His contribution to the board is greater
You are very kind orangenauburn. The final tiebreaker for this award must go to you for this reason. I will continue to be a former somebody and endeavour to become as good as you in the future.

Update:

I believe all winners have been bestowed with the titles they have won, with the exception of Caretaker, who has left the building and no longer has a user profile to update.

Congrats caretaker, wherever you are. Hope you decide to come back again someday.

You back?

Onto the Awards.

Passing:

Rushing:

Wait

Whats that?

Receiving:

TO BE CONTINUED...

This is truly the worst I've felt about winning something since I won a free cleaning at the dentist.
On to next year! At least I can call myself a Cali Winner!

Any chance of adding a special teams category? Some subset of:
#field goals, FG percentage, longest FG.
Punts inside the 20, punting yardage, net punting yardage, etc...
Punt/KO return yardage, punt/ko return TDs, etc...

As Special Teams U it only seems appropriate.
Thanks for the consideration.

Any chance of adding a special teams category? Some subset of:
#field goals, FG percentage, longest FG.
Punts inside the 20, punting yardage, net punting yardage, etc...
Punt/KO return yardage, punt/ko return TDs, etc...

As Special Teams U it only seems appropriate.
Thanks for the consideration.
We can look into a special teams category, including punts inside the opposing 50 for fans of that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom