Your favourite team never wins, they move, and become a champ elsewhere. Are you excited? | Syracusefan.com

Your favourite team never wins, they move, and become a champ elsewhere. Are you excited?

As per title

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Angry

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No / Indifferent

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
AS some of you may know. I was a member of the small group of Hardcore Expos fans until the end. They are still my favourite team in sports ... 15 years after they died. 25 years ago they were screwed.

I have heard from a friend, and from some people in OTtawa that were Expos fans that they are cheering, in some cases very excited about tha Nationals. I also know some are bitter.

If this would have happened around 2010 I would have been bitter with the Nationals winning. Tonight I am indifferent .. it's just another team winning the World Series that I am neither for or against.

The nice thing about growing up and living in Syracuse i that your team doesn't go anywhere.

I recall in Ken Burns Baseball, Donald Honig saying that that he was a Giants fan, (if I remember this correctly), and he couldn't root for the team after they'd left. He said it was pointless to keep loving someone who had abandoned you.

I can only imagine what Cleveland Browns fans thought when the Ravens won two Super Bowls while they were presented with a team that became a laughingstock.

I can't imagine what raiders fans think about their team that is leaving again after coming back.

Last edited:
I was a pretty big Sonics fan, and I couldn't be more happy that Okie City failed to win with Durant, Westbrook, and Harden.
Clay Bennett is a large douche nozzle as is Howard Schultz. And David Stern, of course.

I rooted for the Steelers against the Cardinals and the Patriots against the Rams. Some people in STL forgot how bad of an owner Bidwill was, but I doubt that will ever be the case with Kroenke.

The nice thing about growing up and living in Syracuse i that your team doesn't go anywhere.

I recall in Ken Burns Baseball, Donald Honig saying that that he was a Giants fan, (if I remember this correctly), and he couldn't root for the team after they'd left. He said it was pointless to keep loving someone who had abandoned you.

I can only imagine what Cleveland Browns fans thought when the Ravens won two support bowls while they were presented with a team that became a laughingstock.

I can't imagine what raiders fans think about their team that is leaving again after coming back.
Doris Kearns Goodwin was an avid Dodgers fan as a young girl in Brooklyn. In the Baseball documentary she describes how brokenhearted she was when they moved. Now she roots for the Sawx because she lives in Boston.

Wait when did the Nats move to Philly

I rooted for the Steelers against the Cardinals and the Patriots against the Rams. Some people in STL forgot how bad of an owner Bidwill was, but I doubt that will ever be the case with Kroenke.

Is St. Louis the only City to have 2 teams move? Man I remember being a teenager and I loved watching the Greatest show on turf.

Is St. Louis the only City to have 2 teams move? Man I remember being a teenager and I loved watching the Greatest show on turf.
The Rams and Browns/Ravens left Cleveland. The Raiders are about to leave Oakland for a second time.

The Rams and Browns/Ravens left Cleveland. The Raiders are about to leave Oakland for a second time.

Good calls on those. Still don't understand why they left St. Louis. The Rams did well there for a while and that stadium wasn't even that old.

Good calls on those. Still don't understand why they left St. Louis. The Rams did well there for a while and that stadium wasn't even that old.
$$$

If you marry into Walton money then St. Louis isn't gonna cut it.

If you marry into Walton money then St. Louis isn't gonna cut it.

Oh I'm aware, but apparently Walton money isn't enough money if you have to steal money from taxpayers to build a stadium.

Oh I'm aware, but apparently Walton money isn't enough money if you have to steal money from taxpayers to build a stadium.

Pretty sure the new cathedral is being privately financed.

Cardinals should be in St. Louis.
They were there till Bidwell.
To be fair the Rams were from LA then went to St. Louis when Georgia Frontiere was from St. Louis and moved the Rams there.

The Patriots threatened to move to St. Louis before Robert Kraft bought them in 1993. It again was a leverage move by an old owner who wanted a publicly financed stadium but Kraft bought the team and they didn’t move.

St. Louis I bet would be a candidate for expansion. If they do add more teams.

On the OP question screw the team if they move. Teams shouldn’t move unless fans don’t want the sport.
It’s not Montreal’s fault the strike in 1994 hurt the sport big time up there.

Move Tampa Bay to Montreal and just see if the fans can forgive baseball. The Rays don’t draw in Tampa. Red Sox/Yankees fans outdraw Rays in their own stadium.

not entirely...

Well how else are the ultra rich gonna keep getting richer? Have to take a dump on the public somehow.

Cardinals should be in St. Louis.
They were there till Bidwell.
To be fair the Rams were from LA then went to St. Louis when Georgia Frontiere was from St. Louis and moved the Rams there.

The Patriots threatened to move to St. Louis before Robert Kraft bought them in 1993. It again was a leverage move by an old owner who wanted a publicly financed stadium but Kraft bought the team and they didn’t move.

St. Louis I bet would be a candidate for expansion. If they do add more teams.

On the OP question screw the team if they move. Teams shouldn’t move unless fans don’t want the sport.
It’s not Montreal’s fault the strike in 1994 hurt the sport big time up there.

Move Tampa Bay to Montreal and just see if the fans can forgive baseball. The Rays don’t draw in Tampa. Red Sox/Yankees fans outdraw Rays in their own stadium.
I remember when the Pats almost moved to STL. There’s a rumor now that the NFL is offering STL the Chargers as a settlement for the lawsuit. I don’t care if we get a team. I’m done with that league regardless.

Wait when did the Nats move to Philly

1963 From my series: "Syracuse wins World Series":

“All of a sudden, it’s not there”

Tickets went on sale for the 1963-64 season but sales were very slow. There was talk about the franchise moving but there had been talk about that for years. On May 16, 1963, Biasone met with Onondaga County Executive John Mulroy in the basement of the War Memorial. The meeting did not go well. Mulroy wanted an increase in rent for the building. Biasone wanted it cut and a long-term lease signed. They couldn’t agree. Later that night the Nat’s business manager announced the sale of the team to a group from Philadelphia for $500,000, 100 times what Danny paid for it back in 1947. (These days franchises sell for $100 million and up).

Johnny Kerr was relaxing at Three Rivers Inn when he heard the news. He ordered another round of beers for his friends. Then he began to cry. Dolph Schayes was scheduled to make a speech in Scranton, Pa. He could barely speak. He would play one year in Philly, averaging 5.6 points per game before retiring as the NBA’s leading career scorer, (he’d also committed the most fouls, something he was also proud of). He wound up coaching the new Philadelphia 76ers, including Wilt Chamberlain, who would soon devour all his records. He was also supervisor of NBA referees for a time, ironic for the league’s all-time fouler, (at least he had an intimate knowledge of who he was supervising). Larry Costello was resting on a beach in Bermuda and didn’t find out until a week later. He hadn’t just been a player for the team. He’d grown up as a fan. “All those memories. Then all of a sudden, it’s not there”.

1572626001685.png

Meanwhile, up on Piety Hill, a lean-looking sophomore was eagerly awaiting his first varsity season. His name was Dave Bing.

Unless you live in that area, does it matter??

It really shouldn’t.

If the Dodgers leave LA, LA area fans should be pissed, people in Brooklyn should laugh and every Dodger fan in the rest of the country shouldnt give a shlit.

My hot take is that if you have a region-specific nickname you should change if you move.

LA Lakers, Utah Jazz and Arizona Cardinals sound ridiculous.
The Utah Jazz makes me laugh every time I thought about in the 1990s.
The New Orleans Pelicans were smart and realized the Hornets name sucked and they rebranded to Louisiana culture.
They should have the Jazz nickname but they went with the Louisiana state bird the Pelican and gave Charlotte the nickname that fanbase liked the Hornets.

I always thought Utah should be the Bees or Jackets since Utah is the honey bee state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom