Your last Lunardi update and of this morning he has us still in, in East bracket, against Rhode | Syracusefan.com

Your last Lunardi update and of this morning he has us still in, in East bracket, against Rhode

I have to admit I have little confidence in SU making the field of 68, even though almost all of the games played by the other contenders for the last few spots fell in our favor on Friday and Saturday. Lunardi has us in. Palm doesn't have us close. He has Georgia, with a 1-9 record against top 50 teams ahead of us (we are 6-8). I assume Palm looks at our record against teams ranked 101-200 (4-4) and that weighs heavily into his decision-making. SU had so many opportunities to get the 1 or 2 additional wins (1st Louisville game, Miami game) and failed. You can also look at several of our victories (Clemson, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest) where we pulled victory out of a hat, but a win is a win. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I have to admit I have little confidence in SU making the field of 68, even though almost all of the games played by the other contenders for the last few spots fell in our favor on Friday and Saturday. Lunardi has us in. Palm doesn't have us close. He has Georgia, with a 1-9 record against top 50 teams ahead of us (we are 6-8). I assume Palm looks at our record against teams ranked 101-200 (4-4) and that weighs heavily into his decision-making. SU had so many opportunities to get the 1 or 2 additional wins (1st Louisville game, Miami game) and failed. You can also look at several of our victories (Clemson, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest) where we pulled victory out of a hat, but a win is a win. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Palm has talked about RPI and 2-11 record as would be being worst to have made tourney and the 5 bad losses being tied with worst to have made tourney outweighing the 6 top 50 wins and that inevitably 1 or 2 teams with that many wins always gets left out (not sure i believe that last point without evidence)

Palm has talked about RPI and 2-11 record as would be being worst to have made tourney and the 5 bad losses being tied with worst to have made tourney outweighing the 6 top 50 wins and that inevitably 1 or 2 teams with that many wins always gets left out (not sure i believe that last point without evidence)
Palm bases his bracket mostly on history and what the committee has done in the past, which fine. However, the field recently expanded to 68 and there has been a lot of talk about how the RPI is rarely used anymore. So Palm is basing everything what has happened on the past. He is hedging his bet in a way since if we do get in, he will pull out those "no team has ever gotten in with 2 road wins, etc".

However he had us 1 spot above Monmouth yesterday - he's clearly going hard after us for whatever reason

Lunardi remains a total doofus so take that into account. Doesn't mean he's wrong about us getting in, just that if he is right it is more lucky than good.

I'm curious if any of the other bubble team profiles are unprecedented.

Lunardi remains a total doofus so take that into account. Doesn't mean he's wrong about us getting in, just that if he is right it is more lucky than good.

Not even so much luck - it's only a small handful of teams that are actually up for debate each year.
More like educated guessing. He has to pick maybe 4-5 out of 7-9 potential options.
In his case - even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while. :p

Not even so much luck - it's only a small handful of teams that are actually up for debate each year.
More like educated guessing. He has to pick maybe 4-5 out of 7-9 potential options.
In his case - even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while. :p
Those pigs will eat anything.

I'm curious if any of the other bubble team profiles are unprecedented.
Vandy will break the all time loss record. I believe.

EDIT: Also as we see all of these "this # of whatever never happened before" keep in mind that these teams play more games now than ever before. As the schedule includes more games, of course there will be more losses and more opportunities for bad losses etc...

Same reason 20 wins in a major conference is no longer a lock. 20 wins is much easier today than it was 15-20 years ago

SU being undeserving is Palm's theme this year. He has been beating this to death for a week. Every bit of airtime he gets on CBS and CBSSN he always talks about it. This weekend in his discussion of bubble teams he has every absolute dog listed --- but SU is not listed as even being in far out consideration. He's so over the top it's ridiculous. Maybe he knows someone on the selection committee. Otherwise he's going to look foolish if SU gets in. Even then, expect him to go ballistic the next 2 days if we get in.

IMO -- in a normal year with a decent bubble we wouldn't be in. But the bubble is very weak this year. If you compare our resume with the other contenders...we should get in. We have MANY more good wins against top 25/50 teams which has been the criteria the last few years. I just can't see how a team that is 1-9 vs the top 50 gets in over us at 6-7. I don't care if we did get a couple bad losses.

The whole anti Syracuse machine will be revving back up to top speed if we get in. Just standard ops at this point.

The whole anti Syracuse machine will be revving back up to top speed if we get in. Just standard ops at this point.
Being anti-SU is the most coverage and clicks that Davis and Palm get all year. SU is good for business.

Palm is a Moe Howard-haired idiot. Look at some of the teams he has above us. I think we are 50-50 at this point and it's on us if we don't get in, but Palm's take is crap. Even Gottlieb the hater, who doesn't think we should be in, thinks we will be. Palm is just clueless. If he had us as one of the first 1-2 out, fine.

That will be funny if we make it in over USC. USC will be watching the selection show and all heads will turn and give death stares to Jason Hart and Tony Bland.

That will be funny if we make it in over USC. USC will be watching the selection show and all heads will turn and give death stares to Jason Hart and Tony Bland.
I wonder if either of them will do a hidden first pump under table if we get in.

Lunardi has us playing providence in Dayton in Baylor smuggling posted in the south

Does this mean Vegas likes our chances or doesn't?
It's strange I don't know. I'd think it would be because you'd have to put up 210 dollars to win 100 just to bet no. The positive ml makes no sense though so I have no idea .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom