Your Top 3 Position Units Pre 2021 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Your Top 3 Position Units Pre 2021

I put OL at three because of the experience, current health and size. We also just pulled in a decent class so the future arguably looks brighter as there’s nowhere but up from here.

I will not put safety there, we’re too shallow at the position imo though Coley and Carter are each solid.

We lose iffy, trill and potentially Nunn at CB. Williams is a stud, but again shallow depth.

WR? No thanks. Harris is proven, and Queeley’s made strides. In show me mode for the rest.

QB, I have faith in Tommy but there’s still quite some to prove.

TE is good and all but will only be noticeably effective if the OL functions properly. We lost our best blocking TE in Hackett.
Special Teams is/was our best unit.

No can do on the Oline. Not a single guy had a passing P5 grade. A healthy Serv will, and hopefully Bleich. Servais will likely help develop the others in the off season, but we'll need a strong developmental oline coach to raise everyone's level. If those things don't happen, nothing else will matter.

I'm surprised the WR unit isn't getting more love considering we return an all-conference guy and a dude that had a decent first season as a starter.

I'm surprised the WR unit isn't getting more love considering we return an all-conference guy and a dude that had a decent first season as a starter.
Yes but sometimes Taj misbehaves

I'm cautiously optimistic about WR. Taj is a little unpredictable and we rely on him so heavily. Queeley looks solid. Then what.

Courney Jackson appears to have the speed and wiggle to replace Nykeim, but he's lacked consistency.

Alford was recruited by everyone, so I hope he's ready to play, only in his 2nd year.

Henrix seems to be a giant injury question mark.

Williams and Barron, young, still not sure what we have.

I don't like to rely on true freshmen just yet.

RTB and Sharrod are off the radar completely, for me anyway.

If there's an AET out there to pound in the portal, whose looking for an AET like opportunity, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Tough exercise because every unit on offense depend on another for success. Some defensive units can be elite even if others struggle and easier for elite defensive units to cover other flaws.

DBs blow coverage more than most realize but if pass rush is there it masks it, etc.

We all know what happens to every other offensive group when an olineman gets beat, or QB air mails an open WR.

On raw talent alone: LB, RB, QB

Proven talent and current numbers: LB, DL, DB
Considering that we generally have 5 DB's on the field, I am concerned about the numbers there. Based on track record, definitely not ready to buy the OL until I see them play well.

Love our LB quality and quantity, so much so that I think the staff needs to consider a way to keep 4 of them on the field (particularly w/ all the DB's we lost).
Think our RB's are fine and if either Adams or Howards return, our depth there will be very good.
Will be interesting to see which young linemen can step up.

I'm cautiously optimistic about WR. Taj is a little unpredictable and we rely on him so heavily. Queeley looks solid. Then what.

Courney Jackson appears to have the speed and wiggle to replace Nykeim, but he's lacked consistency.

Alford was recruited by everyone, so I hope he's ready to play, only in his 2nd year.

Henrix seems to be a giant injury question mark.

Williams and Barron, young, still not sure what we have.

I don't like to rely on true freshmen just yet.

RTB and Sharrod are off the radar completely, for me anyway.

If there's an AET out there to pound in the portal, whose looking for an AET like opportunity, I'd take him in a heartbeat.
While I also don't want to rely on a true freshman, I have a hunch that one of them is going to emerge and play a lot.

Does that experience and health include our 300lb fullback/tight end/defensive lineman?
Sure why not. This isn’t me saying the OL is a good unit. This is me saying it may be our 3rd best, arguably, as our other units have significant issues of their own

Sometimes wonder if GCA could be moved to safety considering his speed and the log jam at LB.

Sometimes wonder if GCA could be moved to safety considering his speed and the log jam at LB.
I actually think we could move Wax to Rover. I think he could really excel there, depending on his speed

The secondary will be strong next year because they were SO young this year and held their own. Lots of experience and that unit is only going to get bigger and stronger

Likely because WR play depends on us fixing both our OLine and QB issues from last year. I'm hopeful but bet you could parlay great odds as to all 3 being above average.

Do agree there is talent there, but tough to gauge levels until we can see it on display. WR is also the easiest position to play as a true frosh.

Your comments on the OL echo mine, except I will go a step further - we were 1-10. There wasn't one area that we were happy with, except maybe defensive backfield (and we're arguably much weaker in that area going into 2021). Now, we're getting most of our players back that started and we're happy?
I will counter your comments by saying I saw a defense with young guys that looked good the last part of the season but got wore down due to lack of support on the O. The Oline had 6 healthy players it can’t help but be better. Also going in with a legit QB competition can’t be bad either.

Highest Floor with knowns listed
LB - Solid Talent, Experience, Depth
DL - Solid Talent, Experience
QB - Experience, Depth

Highest Ceiling with knowns plus potential listed
RB - Huge Talent, Experience, (Depth if Adams is back)
QB - Experience, Depth, (Talent huge potential flashes, not yet consistent)
OL - Experience, Depth (assumed health), (Talent potential based on health, size, maturity and experience)