Your top 5 favorite Dome era players of all time | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Your top 5 favorite Dome era players of all time

Best for entertainment? (played at least two years)
Pearl
DC
Thompson
D.Johnson
Warrick

Ball in their hand, 20 seconds left, down by one?
Pearl
Sherm
Moten
GMac
Battle

Pearl

Coleman
Wallace
Moten
Douglas
6th man: Stevie Thompson

Dave Bing
Sherman Douglas
Pearl Washington
Lawrence Moten
Derrick Coleman

bench:

Gerry McNamara
Jason Hart
John Wallace
Rony Seikaly
Roosevelt Bouie

One and Dones don't make my list. Four year players are the best for the team and themselves even though now everyone elite follows the $.

Dave Bing
Sherman Douglas
Pearl Washington
Lawrence Moten
Derrick Coleman

bench:

Gerry McNamara
Jason Hart
John Wallace
Rony Seikaly
Roosevelt Bouie

One and Dones don't make my list. Four year players are the best for the team and themselves even though now everyone elite follows the $.
I couldn't go with Bing because he didn't play in the Dome.

ugh so many good ones.

Do we count Emmanuel “Tiki” Mayben? I don’t think he ever actually made it here.

The original “Brow” could play. Could never get it together off the court though.

I remember cheering for him when Binghamton played Duke in the tourney. That should not have been his sole moment on the national stage though.

I’m not playing it straight solely because edfromsodus started the poll and he is quite possibly the biggest Syracuse message board troll of all time:

1. Jecarl Riggins
2. Tony Scott
3. Lasean Howard
4. Dayshawn Wright

5. Autry Jr.

Eat it, “ed”!!!

Last edited:
I couldn't go with Bing because he didn't play in the Dome.

dollar, I get what you're saying - all on you. Do you think it would have made any difference to Dave where he played? Drafted the #2 pick by Detroit, he was Rookie of the Year and averaged 20.0 PPG the next year 27.1, and an NBA All- Star 7X.

Other:
At age 22 with an NBA contract worth $15,000, Bing was rebuffed by the National Bank of Detroit on getting a mortgage to finance a home. This led Bing to work at the bank during the offseason, holding jobs in the teller, customer relations, and mortgage departments.

Immediately after retiring, he worked at a warehouse of the steel processing company Paragon Steel and was paid $35,000. He left after two years, after stints in the company's shipping and sales operations.

Bing Steel
In 1980, Bing opened Bing Steel with four employees in a rented warehouse from $250,000 in loans and $80,000 of his own money. Losing all his money in six months, the company shied away from manufacturing to focus on being a middleman. With General Motors as their first major client, the company turned a profit in its second year on revenues of $4.2 million. By 1984, Bing was awarded by President Ronald Reagan the National Minority Small Business Person of the Year. By 1985, Bing Steel had expanded to two plants with 63 employees posting revenues of $40 million.

Bing was a winner on and off the court I wish you could have seen him play or perhaps you did. Amazing hops, great distributor and shooter. :)

Besides Pearl it was he who was responsible for the birth of elite Syracuse basketball IMHO.

dollar, I get what you're saying - all on you. Do you think it would have made any difference to Dave where he played? Drafted the #2 pick by Detroit, he was Rookie of the Year and averaged 20.0 PPG the next year 27.1, and an NBA All- Star 7X.

Other:
At age 22 with an NBA contract worth $15,000, Bing was rebuffed by the National Bank of Detroit on getting a mortgage to finance a home. This led Bing to work at the bank during the offseason, holding jobs in the teller, customer relations, and mortgage departments.

Immediately after retiring, he worked at a warehouse of the steel processing company Paragon Steel and was paid $35,000. He left after two years, after stints in the company's shipping and sales operations.

Bing Steel
In 1980, Bing opened Bing Steel with four employees in a rented warehouse from $250,000 in loans and $80,000 of his own money. Losing all his money in six months, the company shied away from manufacturing to focus on being a middleman. With General Motors as their first major client, the company turned a profit in its second year on revenues of $4.2 million. By 1984, Bing was awarded by President Ronald Reagan the National Minority Small Business Person of the Year. By 1985, Bing Steel had expanded to two plants with 63 employees posting revenues of $40 million.

Bing was a winner on and off the court I wish you could have seen him play or perhaps you did. Amazing hops, great distributor and shooter. :)

Besides Pearl it was he who was responsible for the birth of elite Syracuse basketball IMHO.
I'm not disputing anything you've written. If the OP was the best SU players ever, I would have him at the top. But, the OP asked for best five to play in the Dome. I took that to mean the best five from 1981 to present.

I'm not disputing anything you've written. If the OP was the best SU players ever, I would have him at the top. But, the OP asked for best five to play in the Dome. I took that to mean the best five from 1981 to present.
Didn't think you were disrupting. Got it! Just adding more stuff that folks may like or not

I don't want you to take this personally but that is a strange list. How can you not have david patrick on your list. strange

I thought you might have dropped a Scottie McCorkle in there.

44cuse

Anybody can have their personal favorites but I think there's actually a correct answer here, as completely subjective and ridiculous as that notion is (I like to give myself credit for being smarter than I am). But honestly, we have had the privilege in the dome era of watching five of the greats to play this game (apologies to BillSU for not including Bing, but I never saw him and he didn't play in the dome, so hard for me to rank him though I would certainly not argue with anyone who thinks he's one of or THE best player in cuse history). I'm not saying top 50 or top 100 all-time or whatever, but if you're writing the story of college hoops the last 40 years, I really think all five deserve a mention for their individual brilliance (production AND entertainment) and the fact that they stood out, IMO, from nearly every single one of their peers in their time in college ball.

Anyway, my five are:
Sherm -- all-time NCAA leader in assists when he moved on, very good nba career too, and oh, he could score a little bit

DC -- the most skilled and most physically gifted player we've had since I"ve been a fan (mid-80s), IMO.

Billy O -- Not sure about conditioning and off-the-court stuff, but dude was unbelievably talented and productive. 23 and 11.5 as a junior is impressive, but the dude never averaged less than 3 assists a game (only frank is averaging that much on this team) and had 4.6/game as a soph. Could do it all.

Pearl -- Really the guy who puts us on the map (Bing was probably better but Pearl had the dome and ESPN to help out). Such an absurd playmaker and scorer. A few TOs, but he was a nightmare to defend.

Melo -- He's really the only guy, IMO, who was a true one-and-done who won a title. Kentucky had some but those are a bunch of guys playing together. Durant never got the title. guys like Marvin Williams or others were complimentary pieces. Melo owned that team from Day 1, they went from NIT to national champs and he went for 22 and 10 and actually played well in the zone here, not only holding his own defensively on a good defensive team, but also clearing the weak side of the glass better than anyone we've had since we started playing exclusively zone in 95-96.

I loved watching Stevie Thompson and I could see an argument for GMac in the sense that I"m not sure anybody hit more big shots in a career than he did. Moten, of course, has incredible counting stats. But really I"m not sure we have anyone who can really touch the brilliance of those five guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom