Your worse sports year ever | Syracusefan.com

Your worse sports year ever

Briancuse

Living Legend
In this time of epic boredom I couldn't fall asleep last night and doing something thinking. What was the worst sports year for you if you take into account all of the teams that you root for. For me it was 2007.

Cowboys lose at home as the 1 seed to the hated Giants.

Syracuse bball gets an all time screw job by the selection committee.

Mets pull an all time collapse blowing a 7 game division lead with 17 games left.

And another stellar 2 and 10 grob football season.

Last edited:
This year.

Cuse football flops, starting by getting absolutely stomped by a bad Maryland team.

Dodgers choke to Washington, and then things open up more than ever. This would’ve been their year.

Giants stink again.

Cuse hoops has its worst year I can remember.

And the Lakers lose their chance to win it all.

In this time of epic boredom I couldn't fall asleep last night and doing something thinking. What was the worst sports year for you if you take into account all of the teams that you root for. For me it was 2007.

Mets pull an all time collapse blowing a 7 game division with 17 games left.

2007?!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! :p

I’m a Giants fan.
It pretty much didn’t matter what else happened that year -
F&$@$& up the haughty, entitled Pats fans’ party plans was one of the greatest sports highlights of my entire life. :cool:

One man’s trash, is another man’s treasure.
;)

I'll play - even though 51 years hasn't totally numbed the pain:

I'm 10 and a Baltimore fan. And you can guess the rest:

Colts lose to Jets in Super Bowl. Orioles lose to Mets in World Series

You'd think after that, I'd definitely realize that losing is a part of the equation. But apparently not. I wind up going to SU and continue with my lessons - although they can't take 2003 away:)

Prolly 2016

SU Hoops underachieves and goes to NIT
SU Football starts another rebuild under Dino
Buffalo Sabres underachieve and miss the playoffs
Buffalo Bills miss the playoffs for 17th straight season

this year because I have no faith in next years team.

2000. Syracuse loses to MSU and I loved that team . Not only do the Red Sox not win the World Series but they Yankees won again

2004-2005.

Yankees blow it to Sox
Syracuse loses to Vermont
Knicks suck again!

2017 was pretty bad too...bad we beat Clemson in that calendar year so...not the worst.

Not sure of the years, but here goes.

- Oilers beat the Islanders for their first Stanley Cup and my Islanders were denied five in a row.
- Baseball strike when the Montreal Expos had the best record in baseball.
- The "immaculate reception" against my Raiders.
- Montreal Olympics in 1976 when we were the first Country to host the summer games and not win a Gold medal.
- USA women's hockey team finally beat Canada for their first Olympic Gold.
- The "tuck rule" when Charles Woodson forced a fumble from Tom Brady, but was over ruled. Raiders have always been a penalty prone team, but that one was the worst call in NFL history (at least in my opinion).
- Any year SU hoops does not make the Tourney.

This is to hard of an answer for me. I'm entertained every year. The worst losses in my fandom history:

Rockets over Knicks in 94
Heat over Knicks in 97
Red Sox over Yankees in 2004
Vermont over Syracuse in 2005
Michigan over Syracuse in 2013
Vikings over Saints in 2018
Rams over Saints in 2019

Yeah 2000 and 2010 were exciting basketball seasons that sadly ended with hard kicks to the d!@k. But I’ll still take years like those over a year of meandering outside of relevance. Townies posts are only so entertaining.

Was living in the Bay Area and thE Oakland A’s were getting ready to play S F Giants in 1989 World Series. Instead of a once in a lifetime matchup, we got a major earthquake and people were killed. Series became irrelevant to me then.

Mets pull an all time collapse blowing a 7 game division lead with 17 games left.

April - Sixers blow 3-1 lead to Celtics in Eastern finals.
MLB - Year of the Pitcher. Gibson 1.12 ERA. I like a well pitched game but...
Eagles - 0-11, then got "hot", winning next 2, ruining their chance for OJ, setting up finale at Franklin Field in December with Snowballs & Santa.

This one.
Another ‘bad’ SU season.
No NCAA tournament.
Formula 1 cancels races including Australia and Monaco.
Red Sox lose Mookie Betts, and Chris Sale needs TJ surgery.
No NBA season conclusion?

The only bright spot is that the Pats won’t be THE Pats this year.

This is to hard of an answer for me. I'm entertained every year. The worst losses in my fandom history:

Rockets over Knicks in 94
Heat over Knicks in 97
Red Sox over Yankees in 2004
Vermont over Syracuse in 2005
Michigan over Syracuse in 2013
Vikings over Saints in 2018
Rams over Saints in 2019
Worst losses

Su bball Vermont in 05
Cowboys O7 div loss to giants
Mets 06 nlcs game 7
Knicks game 6 nba finals Stark's going 2 for 79
Rangers I guess game 7 against the lightning a few years ago.
Cuse fball even know I was never more proud I really wanted that Clemson game Two years ago

1987- As some of you know, I am an avid cyclist and a pro cycling fan. In 1987 Greg Lemond, the first (and only) American to win the Tour de France, was accidentally shot while hunting turkeys. At the time it appeared that Greg could win several more TdFs and perhaps challenge the all time record of 5 held at the time by three men.

Lemond did beat the odds to win two more Tours de France, including the most exciting sporting event that no one saw. Greg made up almost a minute in a very short individual time trial to win by 8 seconds.

Also in that year, my beloved St Louis Cardinals ( I grew up in St Louis) lost a very disappointing World Series to a vastly inferior Minnesota Twins team. The Cards had a lot of trouble playing in the Twin's dome which had a white roof. The StL outfielders had a lot of trouble with fly balls which led to several Twin victories.

Oh, and there was this basketball game......

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom