You're currently watching a revolution in the NFL... | Syracusefan.com

You're currently watching a revolution in the NFL...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
Chip Kelly is proving that a hyper paced offense can succeed in the NFL. If they can keep this up for all 16 games and be successful, it will change the face of professional football.

Eagles all day. Bam.

Chip Kelly is proving that a hyper paced offense can succeed in the NFL. If they can keep this up for all 16 games and be successful, it will change the face of professional football.

Eagles D isn't getting any credit. You can't run 53 plays if the opponent's offense can get first downs too. Redskins had 7 drives, 21 total plays, 3 first downs, 2 turnovers, 1 safety.

Kelly went to the perfect situation. Athletic QB who has actually run the spread offense in the NFL (no one on twitter seems to remember Vick's time with the Falcons), and speed guys on offense like McCoy and Jackson. It was the perfect setup, for as long as those 3 can stay healthy.

Sports radio tomorrow in Washington is going to be fun.

If they can keep this up for all 16 games and be successful, it will change the face of professional football.

That's a big "if". I'm not convinced that Mike Vick is durable enough to run this for 16 games but it's making me and the other 90% of the people in my football pool who picked the Skins tonight look foolish.

That's a big "if". I'm not convinced that Mike Vick is durable enough to run this for 16 games but it's making me and the other 90% of the people in my football pool who picked the Skins tonight look foolish.

To quote The Wolf, "Let's not start s****g each other's d***ks just yet, gentleman."

Let's see how this plays out. I'm not convinced that the Skins are any good, despite RG3. They look completely off guard by Philly's offense. Will other teams be, once they have film?

Kelly is running things smoothly and Vick looks great but this defense is all over RG3. Don't remember a single game last year they looked this good. Fly Eagles Fly!

Eagles are putting on clinic. This is some high powered offense!

...or the Redskins are REALLY bad.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Eagles are putting on clinic. This is some high powered offense!

...or the Redskins are REALLY bad.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I think the latter is the most plausible explanation.

Eagles D isn't getting any credit. You can't run 53 plays if the opponent's offense can get first downs too. Redskins had 7 drives, 21 total plays, 3 first downs, 2 turnovers, 1 safety.

Kelly went to the perfect situation. Athletic QB who has actually run the spread offense in the NFL (no one on twitter seems to remember Vick's time with the Falcons), and speed guys on offense like McCoy and Jackson. It was the perfect setup, for as long as those 3 can stay healthy.

Sports radio tomorrow in Washington is going to be fun.
Absolutely. And part of it is RG III not getting any run in the preseason. This offense was tailor made for LeSean McCoy. Dude is going to have a monster year.

This is what Oregon in the NFL looks like though, and I have a tough time believing a lot of defenses will be able to keep up. If the Eagles even go 10-6... what a success, and what a shot across the bow of the old guard NFL types.

The Eagles D isn't this good. RG3 is just off - way off. I think teams can run up the gut against the Eagles. Hard to do that when you are losing badly.

Eagles have some blocking scheme issues to work on, but the offense when it is in rhythm is going to give a lot of teams fits.

the NFL is too stupid for a revolution.

expect lots of talk about first game no film nfl defenses will figure it out

23 years ago the bills went fast no huddle and did alright. you'd think more teams would've tried it. but they're all concussed idiots.

there are so many dierdorfs out there. spent the whole game complaining about the bills pace

the meatheads will just change the rules if it comes down to it

The Redskins aren't this bad. The Eagles are making them look this bad.

We'll see. I think that Philly's defense is bottom half, which makes what they are doing to Washington thus far fool's gold in terms of what it means.

The offense? We'll see. Vick has a history of imploding. Despite what Millhouse would have you believe, I don't think this is sustainable with Vick at the helm.

the NFL is too stupid for a revolution.

expect lots of talk about first game no film nfl defenses will figure it out

23 years ago the bills went fast no huddle and did alright. you'd think more teams would've tried it. but they're all concussed idiots.

there are so many dierdorfs out there. spent the whole game complaining about the bills pace

the meatheads will just change the rules if it comes down to it
What I love is how baffled Tirico and Gruden are. At least Gruden is a proponent.

We'll see. I think that Philly's defense is bottom half, which makes what they are doing to Washington thus far fool's gold in terms of what it means.

The offense? We'll see. Vick has a history of imploding. Despite what Millhouse would have you believe, I don't think this is sustainable with Vick at the helm.
Vick has never been in an offense that suited his talents like this. I think he can sustain this the entire year -- the problem is he probably won't be playing the entire year due to injury. I'm more excited about two or three years out when Chip Kelly has his guys at every spot on the field. I don't love Bill Belichick, but when he gushes about a coach like he does Chip Kelly, it means something.

It is sustainable if he stays healthy. He has had some horrendous decisions and accuracy tonight, and is still putting up big numbers. He can do this for the whole season if he doesn't get hurt. Whether he gets hurt or not is a total crapshoot. He still has some designed runs, and he has already taken hits he should not have.

The OL is much much improved. It was bound to - as the guys all recovered from their injuries. The offense is potent, fast moving with fast components.

What I love is how baffled Tirico and Gruden are. At least Gruden is a proponent.
we're talking about a league that is so dumb that they put a f-ing slip and slide a foot away from the field. that poor redskins db right there just pulled every muscle in his body

Vick has never been in an offense that suited his talents like this. I think he can sustain this the entire year -- the problem is he probably won't be playing the entire year due to injury. I'm more excited about two or three years out when Chip Kelly has his guys at every spot on the field. I don't love Bill Belichick, but when he gushes about a coach like he does Chip Kelly, it means something.

We'll see.

I don't share that opinion.

And if Vick doesn't hold up, and the eagles end up 7-9-ish like I expect they will, then we'll see what the prevailing consensus is then. I'll also go on record as stating that I believe Washington is going to be one of the most overrated teams heading into the season, which is why I wouldn't get too excited about this one game, when the skins obviously weren't ready for what they're facing. I don't see the eagles sustaining this level of offensive productivity against better, more prepared teams.

We'll see.

Last edited:
The more I watch and study Chip Kelly's offense, the more depressed I get that our new coaching staff has abandoned the scheme we ran last season that utilized many of its concepts. :(

It's true that we have some read option in our offense this year. However, we're using them more as random plays, not as foundations for a packaged play scheme. It seems with so many concepts at work in our offense, Allen has made incorrect reads several times on these read option plays in the first two games. See the zone read plays we ran (both from the pistol formation) on 2nd and 6 with about 2:49 left in the third quarter and on 1st and 10 with about 11:40 left in the fourth quarter of the Northwestern game for a couple of examples. Allen should have kept the ball on the first play, and he should have given on the second. He didn't make the correct read of the unblocked end either time, and the results speak for themselves.

Interestingly, he made the correct "bubble screen read" on the play before this second example--a big gain by Estime based on the fact that the safety was playing 10 yards off of him. Inconsistency in his reads and, therefore, his decisions (along with his tendency to stare down his No.1 receiver) is likely a sign that Allen doesn't quite know or trust what he sees on the field yet. The question is how long can we afford to wait for him to reach that comfort level?

For what it's worth, Hunt's reads were sharper in his one drive, but he also improvised more effectively. :noidea:

Will other teams be, once they have film?

That's the million dollar question. I don't think it will be nearly this pretty the rest of the year once teams begin to figure out bracketed coverage and spies.

Wait until they play a real team - The New York Football Giants. Different story.

We'll see.

I don't share that opinion.

And if Vick doesn't hold up, and the eagles end up 7-9-ish like I expect they will, then we'll see what the prevailing consensus is then. I'll also go on record as stating that I believe Washington is going to be one of the most overrated teams heading into the season. I don't see the eagles sustaining this level of offensive productivity against better teams.

We'll see.
That's fine, you're right time will tell.

What I will say is the Eagles defense was awful last year and have held everyone's hero to 14 points thus far in the game (a team that is running a prototypical NFL offense). The Eagles (who were borderline awful on offense last year) is racking it up against a team that had a typical, middle of the pack defense last year. Regardless of anything else, that's a pretty good turnaround, and right now I'll take it.

That's fine, you're right time will tell.

What I will say is the Eagles defense was awful last year and have held everyone's hero to 14 points thus far in the game (a team that is running a prototypical NFL offense). The Eagles (who were borderline awful on offense last year) is racking it up against a team that had a typical, middle of the pack defense last year. Regardless of anything else, that's a pretty good turnaround, and right now I'll take it.

Let me guess--you're an Eagles fan?

No doubt--impressive debut. I'd caution against formulating too many definitive conclusions about it, for all of the reasons outlined above. In six games, if they are still killing it, I'll happily admit I'm wrong. My expectation is that they're going to come down to earth--and that you're putting too much stock in a win over a pedestrian Redskins team that is overrated by everyone precisely because they have "everyone's hero" on the team.