Yup, that's bone... GRAPHIC | Syracusefan.com

Yup, that's bone... GRAPHIC

Pearl309

Hall of Fame
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364770724.193440.jpg

Does anyone know if he had a prior injury to that leg or a stress fracture?

God, that hurts just looking at it:( Hope he will be ok.

It reminded me of a Terminator movie. Absolute carnage. So ghastly.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad for Ware and that had to have been painful. I can also imagine how difficult it was for his teammates to see that happen. With that out of the way, I think this is a case where the injury looks a lot worse than it actually is. Someone already pointed out that his arteries probably weren't severed, so as long as there's no ligament damage, he should be able to recover without issue. I think he'll play again. He can even redshirt a year if necessary. Sure, there are similarities to Theismann, but that was almost 30 years ago and there have been all kinds of medical advances since then.

I wish him a successful recovery and I really do believe he'll be on the court again.

You dont know what will happen. Anyone that tells you is lying. Everyone heals differently. I just read an xray today on a kid with a similar fracture in 2006...he had surgery and the leg just never healed properly...there is no longer a frature..there is no discontinuity..but there is a bowing deformity that he has to live with. There is also the possibility of infection either immediately post op or hardware related. There is the chance of deep vein thrombosis due to prolonged immobility. There is the chance of non union...nobody knows...odds are he will do well based on age and the level of care he will be able to receive...but this is a BAD BAD BAD injury

All I can say is I am going to pray for the kid ... that is just awful.

You dont know what will happen. Anyone that tells you is lying. Everyone heals differently. I just read an xray today on a kid with a similar fracture in 2006...he had surgery and the leg just never healed properly...there is no longer a frature..there is no discontinuity..but there is a bowing deformity that he has to live with. There is also the possibility of infection either immediately post op or hardware related. There is the chance of deep vein thrombosis due to prolonged immobility. There is the chance of non union...nobody knows...odds are he will do well based on age and the level of care he will be able to receive...but this is a BAD BAD BAD injury
Yeah, I'd be worried about nonunion as well. The blood flow to the tibia isn't the greatest and nonunions are actually not uncommon. Then again they can generally be resolved with rhBMP1 and a cancellous graft from the contralateral iliac crest.

On the other end of the spectrum, a pregnant woman (also rather overweight and unhealthy prior to pregnancy) had a nasty tibial fracture and the damn thing healed completely in 4 weeks with minimal intervention other than an IM rod. Ridiculous how the pregnancy hormones, increased bloodflow, etc. change the equation.

Yeah, I'd be worried about nonunion as well. The blood flow to the tibia isn't the greatest and nonunions are actually not uncommon. Then again they can generally be resolved with rhBMP1 and a cancellous graft from the contralateral iliac crest.

On the other end of the spectrum, a pregnant woman (also rather overweight and unhealthy prior to pregnancy) had a nasty tibial fracture and the damn thing healed completely in 4 weeks with minimal intervention other than an IM rod. Ridiculous how the pregnancy hormones, increased bloodflow, etc. change the equation.

Thats why the east german women atheletes used to get pregnant..store their blood, then get an abortion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom