Zagsblog: Boeheim Says He Has One Year Left on Contract | Syracusefan.com

Zagsblog: Boeheim Says He Has One Year Left on Contract

That's the first time I can remember that he has publicly stated that. Hint at retirement? Or on-air salary negotiation? ;)

I just cannot imagine JB retiring before he gets to 1,000 victories. To come so close and not get there? I just cannot fathom that.

I have 0 inside sources or knowledge of anything, but my gut is:

He stays as long as McCullough stays. Hopefully we get CM for 2 years and JB is here for a freshman Malachi too. Although I'm having a hard time thinking he wouldn't want to be here for at least one year of Malachi, so I'm not sure.

Updated:
http://zagsblog.com/articles/boeheim-says-he-has-one-year-left-on-contract/

After saying in an interview with Michael Kay and Don La Greca on ESPN 98.7 that he only has one year left on his current contract, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim clarified his comments to SNY.tv.

“I have a contract as long as I want to coach,” Boeheim said by phone. “As many years as I want.”

Boeheim, 69, added that he has “no plan” on how long he will coach.

I thought he worked more or less year to year. It's just the first time I can remember him saying so.

I just cannot imagine JB retiring before he gets to 1,000 victories. To come so close and not get there? I just cannot fathom that.

That's kind of what I thought about the 2nd National Championship too.

Updated:
http://zagsblog.com/articles/boeheim-says-he-has-one-year-left-on-contract/

After saying in an interview with Michael Kay and Don La Greca on ESPN 98.7 that he only has one year left on his current contract, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim clarified his comments to SNY.tv.

“I have a contract as long as I want to coach,” Boeheim said by phone. “As many years as I want.”

Boeheim, 69, added that he has “no plan” on how long he will coach.

This is pretty much what I assumed, not sure why it was a story. Did anyone think JB wasn't going to be the coach if he wanted to coach.

On another point; if I set the over/under on seasons left for JB to coach at 2.5, you going over or under?

This is pretty much what I assumed, not sure why it was a story. Did anyone think JB wasn't going to be the coach if he wanted to coach.

On another point; if I set the over/under on seasons left for JB to coach at 2.5, you going over or under?

Tough question. I think two is the magic number. Anything after that, and the magic eight ball answer gets fuzzier.

Tough question. I think two is the magic number. Anything after that, and the magic eight ball answer gets fuzzier.

I figure I'm pretty sure he coaches 2 more years, and I can't see 4. But 3 could go either way. That's right after the Olympic year, I could see him coming back fresh from Brazil ready to give it another go, or realizing he's 70 and 3 gold medals and one (more?) national titles has been a pretty nice career, plus he'll likely be at 1,000 wins (need 52 more; 2008-2009 was the last 2 year stretch where he didn't get to 52).

It could be a recruiting deal too; if there is a real impact freshmen on the way I could see him sticking around an extra year to coach that kid.

Ya I'd say that's the right line.

I remember playing this game with some friends in whatever year it was we lost to Ohio St in the preseason NIT - 08 maybe? They thought I was crazy for guessing 8 more years. Ha. Looks like expert odds-making in retrospect.

Ya I'd say that's the right line.

I remember playing this game with some friends in whatever year it was we lost to Ohio St in the preseason NIT - 08 maybe? They thought I was crazy for guessing 8 more years. Ha. Looks like expert odds-making in retrospect.

In some ways it's pretty amazing how far we've come. That was either November of 07 or 08; wanna say 07? Either way, when we won our 2009 first round game vs. Stephen F Austin, that was the first NCAA tournament game we had won since 2004! 4 years without winning a tourney game.

I hope he demands a big raise, not that this season would deserve it, because we need to get the number to a level that will allow the AD to hire someone big-time when he finally does retire. it's nice that he doesn't need or want the extra money living in a low cost location and all...but for the future of the program it's actually better if he starts getting a little more greedy. Administrative types will anchor around a base number, whatever that base happens to be, when it comes to hiring a new coach. To think otherwise is to ignore evidence to the contrary on the football side. That said our new chancellor seems to be very smart - so maybe I am worried about nothing.

Not sure how the salary structure works for Syracuse basketball, but is it possible there is a limit of sorts on total and JB is making sure his assistants are well paid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom