Zion | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Zion

Zion was sucking wind hard in the second half of that Michigan State game and on a couple of possessions settled for 3’s because he was tired.
K did not manage that game well.
Zion is special though. This photo is amazing

zion.jpg

lj1.jpg

Two of a kind.

I'm sure there's one out there, but off the top of my head, I'm having a hard time thinking of a draft where the gap between the #1 and #2 prospect is as large as this year's IMO. I'm sure there's been drafts where the #1 guy turned out to be wayyyy better than #2 guy but generally speaking, it seems that they're valued as prospects pretty similarly.

I think Zion is multiple tiers above anyone else in this year's class.

2003. #1 LeBron James to #2 Darko Milicic!
But in hindsight that was just a monstrous mess up given 3 through 5 were Melo, Bosh, and Wade.

But in hindsight that was just a monstrous mess up given 3 through 5 were Melo, Bosh, and Wade.

Yeah, but Darko would fall into the latter category; people thought he was an amazing prospect at the time. Likewise with Carmelo. I think the gap between Zion and Ja/Barrett is larger.

Bosh went to 11 all-star games, was a career 20/10 guy, and has a 99.5% chance of making the Hall of Fame per basketballreference.com

You make it seem like I was comparing him to Greg Ostertag

You said a "handful" of all-star games. I was more focused on that. A handful is a poor characterization of 11 all star games. In any event he'll be in MVP discussions and fwiw I'd say your take is def a distinct minority view so if you're right then kudos to you.

Last edited:
so with Magic quitting...does this mean Zion to the Lakers is at 0%?

Maybe Magic knows something we don't...

I thought Zion might end up on the Lakers...but now...I'm thinking the Knicks.....

Duncan in ‘97 stands out. Everyone knew he was the number 1 guy in that draft.

Though Keith Van Horn was a solid prospect, there were no illusions that he was anywhere near Duncan. That lottery was the Duncan sweepstakes, and then after that the rest of the draft started.

Duncan in ‘97 stands out. Everyone knew he was the number 1 guy in that draft.

Though Keith Van Horn was a solid prospect, there were no illusions that he was anywhere near Duncan. That lottery was the Duncan sweepstakes, and then after that the rest of the draft started.

That’s before my memories began so I’ll take your word for it. I know teams were tanking for Duncan and it’s hard to imagine KVH being an elite elite prospect so that sounds right to me.

This guy’s vertical is just stupid for his size/weight.
D2Ts2KeUgAEwwHC.jpg
He is truly one of the most athletic individuals in all of sports. To carry that mass and jump the way he does is extraordinary.

That’s before my memories began so I’ll take your word for it. I know teams were tanking for Duncan and it’s hard to imagine KVH being an elite elite prospect so that sounds right to me.

Yeah, Pitino was openly talking about Duncan before that lottery and later said he never would’ve taken the Celtics job if he knew how the lottery would turn out.

From a Boston.com article:
“Duncan was such a sure thing coming out of Wake Forest that even Rick Pitino, the then-Celtics coach whose NBA player evaluations would prove hindered by impatience (hello, Travis Knight), had him pegged exactly right in the hopeful days before the ’97 lottery.

“When you get a Tim Duncan, you are getting something really, really special, not only as a basketball player, but with an incredible attitude,” said Pitino. “He uses the glass as well as any young player I’ve seen. You don’t see many young kids use it like he does. He’s just got the total package.”

And one other one I can think of...as great as Alonzo Mourning was, Shaq was far and away the number 1 prospect in that draft. The hype on Shaq might be the biggest of my lifetime, coming into the league.

Nobody’s tired of Zion, the guys a monster and a pleasure to watch. Everybody’s tired of ESPN’s biased coverage that borders lunacy. It’s weird.

This.

Kid was a pleasure to watch. I was mesmerized. I could have dealt with ESPN not handling it like a fanboy circus during broadcasts though - the commercials, fine, the website stuff, fine.

The broadcasts? Even with Bilas, whom most people here seem to like, the broadcasts were absolutely excruciating.

Why Duke let everyone but him dominate the ball down the stretch was kind of strange...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom