Zion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Zion

At what point is it on coach K not running a play for Zion/telling the team to get him the ball in the final minutes? Also when is it on Zion for not demanding the ball? I doubt Barrett was just completely refusing orders when he took all of those last minute shots. He doesn't deserve all of the blame.

I really love the unfettered cynicism and jealousy of Zion. He’s about the best thing that’s happened to college basketball in a long time. He plays the game right, plays it extremely hard and plays it extremely well. I’d kill to have a kid like this on our team.

Agreed. He reminds me of Lebron in how even-keeled and normal he is despite being worshipped at such a young age. It would be so incredibly easy for him to be a douche.

He won't be arguably the best player in the NBA right away if you mean peak or even today's version of LeBron, but I absolutely think he can be an all-star as a rookie. To me, he's the surest thing to come around since LeBron. The only way I see Zion not becoming a perennial all-star is if he has injury issues.

I'm not ready to make that proclamation... which is sort of why I made the post. Don't blame anyone for having that opinion, and they could be right. Just think there are a lot of factors that will need to be considered when taking his game to the next level.

At what point is it on coach K not running a play for Zion/telling the team to get him the ball in the final minutes? Also when is it on Zion for not demanding the ball? I doubt Barrett was just completely refusing orders when he took all of those last minute shots. He doesn't deserve all of the blame.
coach K is not as good as he appears...not the greatest coach of all-time good that many make him out to be.

Who do you put ahead of him?
i just think he had the "phil jackson effect" of having better players than his opponent most of the time...and usually squeaking through b/c of that...how many titles would phil jackson have won without MJ?

How many would K have won without Laettner, grant hill, bagley, zion etc?

He's good - dont get me wrong - but I'm honestly underwhelmed with his performance as a coach in the past 4 seasons in the Syracuse games...Duke has often had the more talented roster but has been beaten almost every year by Boeheim...I mean even last year's sweet 16 game...are you kidding me? look at those rosters..how was that game even close??? I think JB is a better coach (this year's performance aside..down year for JB)...for one...despite not having as many titles...

switch SU's and Duke's 2018 rosters and tell me the coach K couldve done as well ...would coach k get 2018 SU to the sweet 16? i dont think so...

I think there are a bunch of coaches who would've won the title this season with Duke's roster...they SHOULD've won it...

I don't think # of titles won necessarily = best...

I don't know who exactly is better than coach K - but to me he gets by on "brand name" and reputation more than anything at this point...

if you include recruiting and reputation into the equation then yeah he is the best...but if you could somehow give every coach the exact same rosters...and only evaluate x's and o's and in-game coaching...i dont think coach K would be top 20. rick pitino for one is a way better coach at that stuff imo...

i'm mich more impressed with coaches like brad stevens taking a butler to 2 final fours or a shaka smart taking a VCU on a run than a coach K or calipari getting 10 McDonalds all-americas and being in the top 10...I think the vast majority of NCAA coaches could do well with UK and DUKE's rosters...

speaking of VCU - Duke almost lost to them this season! got a few lucky calls and survived - sorry I'm just not that impressed with K AS A COACH.

Last edited:
i just think he had the "phil jackson effect" of having better players than his opponent most of the time...and usually squeaking through b/c of that...how many titles would phil jackson have won without MJ?

How many would K have won without Laettner, grant hill, bagley, zion etc?

He's good - dont get me wrong - but I'm honestly underwhelmed with his performance as a coach in the past 4 seasons in the Syracuse games...Duke has often had the more talented roster but has been beaten almost every year by Boeheim...I mean even last year's sweet 16 game...are you kidding me? look at those rosters..how was that game even close??? I think JB is a better coach (this year's performance aside..down year for JB)...for one...despite not having as many titles...

switch SU's and Duke's 2018 rosters and tell me the coach K couldve done as well ...would coach k get 2018 SU to the sweet 16? i dont think so...

I think there are a bunch of coaches who would've won the title this season with Duke's roster...they SHOULD've won it...

I don't think # of titles won necessarily = best...

I don't know who exactly is better than coach K - but to me he gets by on "brand name" and reputation more than anything at this point...

if you include recruiting and reputation into the equation then yeah he is the best...but if you could somehow give every coach the exact same rosters...and only evaluate x's and o's and in-game coaching...i dont think coach K would be top 20. rick pitino for one is a way better coach at that stuff imo...

i'm mich more impressed with coaches like brad stevens taking a butler to 2 final fours or a shaka smart taking a VCU on a run than a coach K or calipari getting 10 McDonalds all-americas and being in the top 10...I think the vast majority of NCAA coaches could do well with UK and DUKE's rosters...

speaking of VCU - Duke almost lost to them this season! got a few lucky calls and survived - sorry I'm just not that impressed with K AS A COACH.

Shaka Smart?

Boeheim’s only title was because of one of the greatest college freshman ever.

Shaka Smart?

He had two other title games where we were right there. I suppose he could have made the free throws for triche and Coleman.

He had two other title games where we were right there. I suppose he could have made the free throws for triche and Coleman.
Okay. My point remains.

Latest intel from Durham is that Zion is returning to Duke for his sophomore season. In a quickly called news conference he simply said, "I want to be like Tiana," leaving most of the press quite puzzled except the student reporter who is from Australia.

Zion was the best thing to happen to college ball since at least Shaq, maybe even back to Ewing, MJ, Phi Slamma Jamma, or maybe all the way back to magic and bird.

He was legitimately everything you want in a star. Unbelievable athletic talent, and great personality. He was honestly one of the nicest kids I've ever seen in a post game press conference. Barrett said a jacka$$ comment after the VPI game and zion immediately apologized for what Barrett said. The kid is great.

I can't wait to see this kid in the NBA and I hope he can keep this positive attitude going forward, god knows it won't be easy.

Shaka Smart?

what shaka did with vcu is more impressive than what k does at duke in my opinion.

i think it is harder to make a run with a 'no-name' school than to take a duke or kentucky to a final four.

k is a great recruiter (being at Duke doesn't hurt) and an average coach - talent takes you far...in the end great recruiter + average coach = great results...

I think Zion is going to do fine in the league but his skill set at this stage is not close to what LBJ was bringing to the party. My only concern is that the athletic ability evens out which is a huge part of his success and the size and strength differential. I also think he should lose about 15 pounds and if he doesn't I have longevity concerns. He could be Barkley 2.0 but his body concerns me.

I really love the unfettered cynicism and jealousy of Zion. He’s about the best thing that’s happened to college basketball in a long time. He plays the game right, plays it extremely hard and plays it extremely well. I’d kill to have a kid like this on our team.
I agree with this and I also think that the video above is hysterical

My gut instinct is that Zion is going to have a long successful NBA career, but will be more of a “second-tier” star. Meaning a handful of All-Star games, but not an MVP-level player. A Chris Bosh-type career.

I think Zion's end of game issues may be conditioning related too. He definitely floated toward the perimeter more in the 2nd half and was finishing less often when he did get inside. As a Knick fan I want the second pick in the draft - Zion has me perplexed.

Now you're sounding more like a NY Knick front office person than a fan. ;)

My gut instinct is that Zion is going to have a long successful NBA career, but will be more of a “second-tier” star. Meaning a handful of All-Star games, but not an MVP-level player. A Chris Bosh-type career.

I disagree. He'll be a stud early on, be a perennial all star and be in the MVP conversation for several years running. He's the real deal. Chris Bosh type career? You're crazy.

I disagree. He'll be a stud early on, be a perennial all star and be in the MVP conversation for several years running. He's the real deal. Chris Bosh type career? You're crazy.

Bosh went to 11 all-star games, was a career 20/10 guy, and has a 99.5% chance of making the Hall of Fame per basketballreference.com

You make it seem like I was comparing him to Greg Ostertag

Zion was sucking wind hard in the second half of that Michigan State game and on a couple of possessions settled for 3’s because he was tired.
K did not manage that game well.
Zion is special though. This photo is amazing

zion.jpg

Zion was sucking wind hard in the second half of that Michigan State game and on a couple of possessions settled for 3’s because he was tired.
K did not manage that game well.
Zion is special though. This photo is amazing

zion.jpg
Unbelievable athleticism. He outweighs MD by >100 pounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom