Zion's Custom Nikes an NCAA Violation? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Zion's Custom Nikes an NCAA Violation?

i'd bet at least 50 engineers and 400 market and media people were involved. you are naive. i was being conservative. nike is a global brand and they took a major hit. you can bet the clean up cost was sky high.

The thing is, even with a “major hit”, Nike is so far ahead in b-ball that it won’t matter.

Curry went absolutely crazy a few years ago and had a couple huge shoes, but big picture wise Nike was still way ahead.

And that’s like the only time they were even somewhat threatened since the 90s.

I’d love to see more competition, but it hasn’t really happened in 2 decades on the basketball front.

I’d love to see more competition, but it hasn’t really happened in 2 decades on the basketball front.

qhjlcrw5cgxfn6itymzj.jpg

i rocked them in purple. still loyal.

Last edited:
Can someone please explain to me why Zion's Custom made shoes are not an NCAA violation? Will Nike send it's top people to custom fit any Duke student?

The NCAA ruled that because UNC phantom classes were available to all students the biggest academic scandal in history didn't constitute an NCAA violation. By extension of this ruling if Zion's Custom shoes are not available to the entire Duke student body they must be an improper benefit to an athlete and thus an NCAA violation.
Same reason Tommy Devito gets a football helmet, and normal students don't.

This is exactly my point. Athletes receive shoes all the time but any Duke student should be able to buy the same shoes.

Custom made shoes for an athlete that are not available to all students must be an improper benefit unless Nike is willing to custom fit any and all Duke students.
That's not the rule.

i'd bet at least 50 engineers and 400 market and media people were involved. you are naive. i was being conservative. nike is a global brand and they took a major hit. you can bet the clean up cost was sky high.
50 engineers and 400 other associates??? To reinforce a shoe???

I’m not naive. That’s complete overkill. No chance. You can’t even coordinate that many people.

We are literally talking about measuring his foot and modifying an existing shoe model to be reinforced based on Zion’s size and force exerted on the shoe. Between the guys taking the measurements, there were probably less than 20 other people involved in the process.

High tops are for wimps with no ankle strength .. in fact we should be playing barefoot basketball like that tribe in Mexico

High tops are for wimps with no ankle strength .. in fact we should be playing barefoot basketball like that tribe in Mexico

It’s not about high or low tops, IMO.

It’s about shoes made out of sock like materials or mesh(marketed as a performance aspect, but these materials are also much cheaper...hmmmm) vs. those made out of more sturdy materials.

The lighter, more flexible, cheaper materials may have their advantages for some people, but containing the foot of a 285 pound athletic freak is clearly not one of them.

i actually had bad ankle injuries (hockey) and was mocked back in the day for wearing high tops. and straight leg jeans instead of bell bottoms ! haters called me "stove pipes" it's funny how fashion rolls around.

Haven’t seen anyone hating on him.

It’s more hating on the sports media that caters to simpleton morons by talking about the same 4 topics 24/7.
You haven't seen anyone hating on him? Have you been on this board the past 6 months? There have been a number of people attempting to explain how he's more hype than good and that he'll struggle as a pro. This particular thread isn't about that specifically, but it's on here. As other people have said, this isn't the first time Nike has done this for someone, so having a thread go on about it probably is a little bit of hate. If it were one of our players, would anyone on here care?

i actually had bad ankle injuries (hockey) and was mocked back in the day for wearing high tops. and straight leg jeans instead of bell bottoms ! haters called me "stove pipes" it's funny how fashion rolls around.
What's interesting is that high tops give little to no more ankle support than low tops. Look at where the shoe ends. With relation to the ankle joint there is no way any normal shoe will be stable enough to prevent an ankle from rolling when a fully grown person lands on the side of somone elses foot that is stablized on the floor. The only way tomprotect the ankle in that situation is with a firm brace that goes higher up on the leg like wjat has been marketed to volleyball players. The two problems there are if you wear those all of the time the ankle will lose strength and proprioception and, in the event of a potential ankle roll, it's possible the forces could transfer up the knee and produce an injury there.

been marketed to volleyball players. The two problems there are if you wear those all of the time the ankle will lose strength and proprioception and, in the event of a potential ankle roll, it's possible the forces could transfer

well of course i wore matching knee high tube socks for support...
seriously anyone who's sprained an ankle (repeatedly) knows that it takes forever for those fibers to stitch back together and even then it's never quite the same. i went probably 6 years with no issue and then carrying in groceries around x-mas i slipped and rolled it again. seemingly never ends. and yes i still wear chucks. could be the proprioception (?) settling in.

Last edited:

We may soon be if Trump’s veto gets overturned.

When I was in school, Lanier had special size 19 (22? can't remember which) sneakers made for him. 50 years ago there were no sizes that large nor all the selection currently available. Nobody ever questioned that. Sure it happens ALL the time now with all sorts of equipment for student athletes.