Zone doesn’t work without a Center | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Zone doesn’t work without a Center

The threes tonight are the direct result of not having a defensive presence at Center. Yes, the guards (all three of them) didn’t do great at the top of the zone, but so much of what isn’t working is because Marek solo on defense vs a real Center is an automatic 2 points or free throws. It’s not Marek’s fault; he’s doing what he can at 140lbs.

The only fix is to get a Center who can defend the paint on his own. That honestly shouldn’t be as hard to find as it seemingly has been. There are like 40 of them coming out of high school every year.
I think Joe and Buddy are the worst defensive guard duo on top of the zone in JB’s tenure. That’s a BIG problem!

Or he could learn how to coach another defense like 99.9% of other coaches...but I guess 40+ years isnt enough time to learn how to do that
He used to use primarily man. It's only been the last 20ish years that zone became his primary thing. I believe it shifted during the 1996 run. I suppose he's just forgotten.

Teams shoot well against m2m, too.
I know but I figure if I got sucked into a zone vs man debate I might trick myself into thinking it’s the only problem with the program...

Edwards- puts up 7 points, 6 rebounds, 1 block, 2 steals in 23 mins.

Since that game, 2 games decided by 20 points a piece (one win and one loss) and a total of 2 mins played.

I don’t understand how that happens. Regardless if you think he is the answer or not.

For 1, how can he be any worse for our interior defense and rebounding

For 2, it’s the perfect time to get him minutes because they were both lopsided games the last 6 mins of each game.

For 3, don’t give me this practice stuff because the guy came in against Miami and gave you great minutes. Was his practice that week that much different?????? Yes marek got in foul trouble, but then he played the part!!!

The threes tonight are the direct result of not having a defensive presence at Center. Yes, the guards (all three of them) didn’t do great at the top of the zone, but so much of what isn’t working is because Marek solo on defense vs a real Center is an automatic 2 points or free throws. It’s not Marek’s fault; he’s doing what he can at 140lbs.

The only fix is to get a Center who can defend the paint on his own. That honestly shouldn’t be as hard to find as it seemingly has been. There are like 40 of them coming out of high school every year.
Exactly. He need to give Jesse some minutes. Marek in the middle for 40 minutes doesn’t work. You’re not gonna beat Virginia doing that.

Last edited:
Offensive rebounds. We had maybe none while we were chucking up bricks in the first half? How does the 2-3 zone fix that? Fix that issue and we have a close game.

I think a true center would have helped with that and I can’t believe we don’t have a serviceable one on the bench.

• Guys playing out of position
  • Not rewarding Edwards with more playing time after a solid game the other night
  • Woody getting zero minutes
  • Buddy getting way too many minutes
  • Joe getting too many minutes
  • Kadary not getting enough minutes
  • 2-3 zone or bust
  • Recruiting down
  • Ridiculous comments in press conferences

It's all part of the same problem. Very disappointing.

Pass denial was non-existent yesterday, on every pass attempt. Rock Bottom. I saved that for this morning.

Would like to see a 1-3-1 with Griff (preferably) or Kadary up top (no big). Forces perimeter passing.

The three most important spots in our zone are the 2 guards and the center. When they are are good/great, entry passes to the high post are tough, the center can contest anything around the rim, and the wings can be aggressive on shooters. That’s when we see teams just throw it around the perimeter.

We currently have 3 guys at those spots who are below average for what we do. I think we could hide any one of them if the other two were strong defenders. Kadary seems to be a plus defender - if Sidibe can come back, and Kadary gets 30 minutes, I think we can be a pretty good defensive team.

Doesn’t look like either of these is happening for a while.

The three most important spots in our zone are the 2 guards and the center. When they are are good/great, entry passes to the high post are tough, the center can contest anything around the rim, and the wings can be aggressive on shooters. That’s when we see teams just throw it around the perimeter.

We currently have 3 guys at those spots who are below average for what we do. I think we could hide any one of them if the other two were strong defenders. Kadary seems to be a plus defender - if Sidibe can come back, and Kadary gets 30 minutes, I think we can be a pretty good defensive team.

Doesn’t look like either of these is happening for a while.
Yup. Our forwards spend so much effort running out to defend the three, then sprinting back into the paint to help Marek whenever a ball gets passed to a big inside. It's no wonder they are out of position. They're playing half the flippin' court.

Yup. Our forwards spend so much effort running out to defend the three, then sprinting back into the paint to help Marek whenever a ball gets passed to a big inside. It's no wonder they are out of position. They're playing half the flippin' court.
Would it be so crazy to just have them faceguard the shooters once the ball goes into the post? Don't even turn to look where the ball goes once it's behind them, just stay with the friggin shooters.

The zone principles really fall apart once you lose a visual of where the players are. With m2m, you always keep the opponent in front of you.

Last edited:
confused what is this? GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom