Zone movement | Syracusefan.com

Zone movement

shu 49

All Conference
I have a ? About zone. I have realized that last ten or more years we started rotating our forwards up top on ball on perimeter sometimes and it always leads to a lob pass overtop or pass to free throw pivot eared then pass down low for basket. we never did that before that. Why can’t we guard top of perimeter with our 2 guards and small forward Taylor or bell. Keep other 2 down low a bit it’s way too far to cover like that. It consistently puts us in bad spots. We started it a bit after 2012.

They start up higher to prevent a quick pass and shot from the wing. The rotations and assignments remain the same. They’re still expected to communicate and get back to defend the rim against lobs or that high-low pass. This is where experience comes in. The movements have to be second nature or they’ll be too slow.

In the scenario where a Forward is ‘glued’ up by the presence of a shooter but also has a player in his zone running the baseline, the Center has to account for that guy (the weak side Forward then accounts for any other post presence, the weak side guard fills that Forward’s perimeter assignment, etc.). If the Center doesn’t, they lob it and he gets dunked on.

When the ball goes to the FT line and it’s a player who can shoot, the Forwards have to rotate back to the rim. Where they started the possession shouldn’t matter by that point, which isn’t to say it doesn’t matter in game situations.

I never seen this till now. Thank u but one more ? When we started this rotation, we used to pin guys in deep corner for as long as I remember and get turnovers off it consistently. When we kinda double up on top I noticed we never pin guy in corner anymore. What is the reason for it. I just don’t like the way our zone is now or do we have less athletic and shorter guys?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom