“Why Not Us???” -Mikel Jones | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

“Why Not Us???” -Mikel Jones

Love it. This team isn't the most talented in the country but this team has IT.
As Mikel said, "this team, It's RELENTLESS."

1666366546881.png

Know what else I love? Seeing ex players give shout outs to this team. Love the pride. Love that they are giving credit to these guys. Love it all.

This team is great. 35 years since we were 6-0. You don't get these runs very often. Got to soak it all in when you can.

Buy the ticket, enjoy the ride.

Build the kid a statue now. He may just be my favorite player ever (he's definitely my favorite defensive player ever) and I've been a fan for just over 30 years.
He was already my favorite. Then you read the anecdote about the stairs during preseason camp in the Dome...what a leader. Couldn't like him anymore. I'll be a fan of his wherever he goes.

Amazing. Someone here posted in a thread weeks ago about how Jones is the guy that all players look up to. The true leader is the team.

This is the proof of that post.

It also reminds me of another anecdote that someone posted. Might have been after the spring game, might have been after a fan fest thingy…anyway, they bumped into Shrader and asked him what he thought . Shrader calmly and casually said “Oh, we’re gonna be good”.

I put that in the back of my brain because this is a kid who spent 2 years in an SEC program and would understand what you need.

Confidence and leadership can make up for a lot of physical shortcomings.

Whatever happens the rest of the season. The leadership on THIS team will have an impact going far beyond this year. These guys have changed the culture…really. The young guys know what it takes now as the leaders are leading the way. So when these guys leading now head off to the NFL or graduate. The next group knows what it takes and what it looks like. I don’t think I can understate enough just how special the leaders on the team are…Mikel, GS, Garrett Williams, Bergeron, Caleb, etc…they are doing so much more for this program than winning games. I honestly think a few years from now, 10 years from now, we are going to look back at this 2022 team and the leaders on this team and say they were the foundation. I think Dino knows that too. Enjoy it, cause we have a couple home run coordinators, we have the talent and we have the leadership.
Yeah, that whole "run the stairs with the freshman" story isn't over. There are going to be moments years from now where guys on the team look back on that.

Recruit, develop on and off the field and the success will come with it. Never been never will be about the number of stars at Syracuse. This the path to sustained success.

Amazing. Someone here posted in a thread weeks ago about how Jones is the guy that all players look up to. The true leader is the team.

This is the proof of that post.

It also reminds me of another anecdote that someone posted. Might have been after the spring game, might have been after a fan fest thingy…anyway, they bumped into Shrader and asked him what he thought . Shrader calmly and casually said “Oh, we’re gonna be good”.

I put that in the back of my brain because this is a kid who spent 2 years in an SEC program and would understand what you need.

Confidence and leadership can make up for a lot of physical shortcomings.
Yep Shrader said it during a sideline interview as Lamson threw about 55 yard touchdown down the sideline