Class of 2015 - 2/4/15 Surprise? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 2/4/15 Surprise?

Ahhh we don't want anyone right...i know, i know, Jay Bromley (once in a lifetime), especially a JC guy. JC guys would have been well scouted, and anyone with a heartbeat would have been snatched up. Unless we can get some stud transfer we should reward 2 walk-ons a scholarship, and go into next year with 2 more available slots for early enrollment.
The one player I would take would be a JUCO DB who was not expected to qualify, but does. Barring some superstar falling into our laps, I'd hold out for DB help, or wait until next year.

The one player I would take would be a JUCO DB who was not expected to qualify, but does. Barring some superstar falling into our laps, I'd hold out for DB help, or wait until next year.

That's how we got Sean Avant so I guess we have to keep our eyes open. Position specific may be tough though.

Give them to a couple walk ons. These kids bust their ass as I also had a brother walk on to a Texas program. He could long snap and was a little bit not right in the head on the field which made him perfect for special teams. It was crazy was he did in school being committed to the program in addition to class responsibilities. These kids deserve a free year of education.

Actually I thought they said besides Strickland one of the RBs will be converted to DB. I think those 2 play that position on D already.

Give them to a couple walk ons. These kids bust their ass as I also had a brother walk on to a Texas program. He could long snap and was a little bit not right in the head on the field which made him perfect for special teams. It was crazy was he did in school being committed to the program in addition to class responsibilities. These kids deserve a free year of education.

I wonder about Donnie Foster's status. Had good tape against good competition in GA and FL in high school. He made several traveling squads last year as a true freshman, notable because he is a walk on. Plus, he was the host for Duerig's official visit. Having a walk on serve as a host to a full scholarship recruit pegged my "curiosity meter".

I wonder about Donnie Foster's status. Had good tape against good competition in GA and FL in high school. He made several traveling squads last year as a true freshman, notable because he is a walk on. Plus, he was the host for Duerig's official visit. Having a walk on serve as a host to a full scholarship recruit pegged my "curiosity meter".

Plus he and Trey seem to be good buds.

Sounds like he is working his way towards a scholarship given all the progress he has made over the past year within the program.
Taylor obviously takes the last available scholly but things always have a way of opening up.

Taylor obviously takes the last available scholly but things always have a way of opening up.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised to see us light a scholarship or two before fall camp starts. Always an academic casualty, career ending injury, something along those lines seems to happen in the offseason.

Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about the financial situations of either the Foster or Kleinberg (another preferred walk-on who seemingly can play) family's and hate counting other people's money but the optics are that these kids come from well to do financial situations. While I do not think it is "right" to take advantage of that (if that's the case) and not offer a scholarship if the kid deserves it, I can see the rationale of a fringe scholly player or 3 getting preferred walk-on status giving Syracuse 2 or 3 guys not on scholarship for a year or two who can contribute in some way as not a bad thing for the overall good of the program. Joe Nassib comes to mind before he got a scholly his last 2 years. He contributed before that. Maybe Troy Green develops into that. It almost makes it like having 86 - 88 scholarship level players instead of 85. I'd rather give those 1 or 2 to a long snapper or a K/P than a fringe guy anyway - and if that fringe guy can afford to pay his way, work hard and contribute, all the better, and then you absolutely reward him with a scholarship his last 1 or 2 or 3 years depending. Just my .02 of course.

Last edited:
Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about the financial situations of either the Foster or Mecklenberg (another preferred walk-on who seemingly can play) family's and hate counting other people's money but the optics are that these kids come from well to do financial situations. While I do not think it is "right" to take advantage of that (if that's the case) and not offer a scholarship if the kid deserves it, I can see the rationale of a fringe scholly player or 3 getting preferred walk-on status giving Syracuse 2 or 3 guys not on scholarship for a year or two who can contribute in some way as not a bad thing for the overall good of the program. Joe Nassib comes to mind before he got a scholly his last 2 years. He contributed before that. Maybe Troy Green develops into that. It almost makes it like having 86 - 88 scholarship level players instead of 85. I'd rather give those 1 or 2 to a long snapper or a K/P than a fringe guy anyway - and if that fringe guy can afford to pay his way, work hard and contribute, all the better, and then you absolutely reward him with a scholarship his last 1 or 2 or 3 years depending. Just my .02 of course.

I think you mean Kleinberg...not Mecklenberg.

Let me preface this by saying I know nothing about the financial situations of either the Foster or Kleinberg (another preferred walk-on who seemingly can play) family's and hate counting other people's money but the optics are that these kids come from well to do financial situations. While I do not think it is "right" to take advantage of that (if that's the case) and not offer a scholarship if the kid deserves it, I can see the rationale of a fringe scholly player or 3 getting preferred walk-on status giving Syracuse 2 or 3 guys not on scholarship for a year or two who can contribute in some way as not a bad thing for the overall good of the program. Joe Nassib comes to mind before he got a scholly his last 2 years. He contributed before that. Maybe Troy Green develops into that. It almost makes it like having 86 - 88 scholarship level players instead of 85. I'd rather give those 1 or 2 to a long snapper or a K/P than a fringe guy anyway - and if that fringe guy can afford to pay his way, work hard and contribute, all the better, and then you absolutely reward him with a scholarship his last 1 or 2 or 3 years depending. Just my .02 of course.

I know nothing of the finances either, but I'd guess the Bosco kid has dough. However these kids might be getting HUGE financial aid packages. Look how many Lax players there are - they divide something like 13 scholarships over 25/30 kids or more. I don't doubt once the aid is all sorted that Syracuse might be in line with suny tuition.

They may not be getting an "athletic scholarship" but you can bet they are getting lots of other scholarships and grants. It's crazy what playing at a D1 program can do they find every little way to take money off your tuition. And I agree they are probably going for a SUNY price, which quite honestly is not a whole lot more than Don Bosco's tuition.

They may not be getting an "athletic scholarship" but you can bet they are getting lots of other scholarships and grants. It's crazy what playing at a D1 program can do they find every little way to take money off your tuition. And I agree they are probably going for a SUNY price, which quite honestly is not a whole lot more than Don Bosco's tuition.

Yes and Foster was playing at IMG.. I am sure that is not cheap either.

And Kleinberg is from Armonk, NY, which if you know anything about the metro-NYC real estate market is pretty near or at the top of the food chain. Its a tier below a Scarsdale or a Greenwich, CT, but not far off.

Hell, The Krautmans are from Franklin Lakes, and Pickard is from Millburn. That is silly logic although I see where it is coming from. There is a "supply and demand " component to this (go to a lesser school for free or pay for your opportunity at a better athletic program). It is a bit risky and could breed resentment especially if the kid turns out to be a productive contributor and is asked to continue giving. I guess the coaches worry less about kids that aren't from producer schools, but the Don Boscos of the world will look favorably on your program if you take care of their kids. For the record, my roommate was a walk on to the football team. I know and believe that every kid on the team in any capacity is making a sacrifice and is a contributor. It is for this reason I like to see those kids treated well.

2nd WR to leave the team in a week. The McDonald train rolls on.
The other one was Bryce Dixon from Cary, NC so it wasn't homesickness. Was an early enrollee so only there for 3 months.

He's a Bethlehem, PA guy which would be nice to get as it's not too far. On the downside, he's already decommitted from Rutgers and is now no longer on the NCSU roster. We do need WRs, and he's got good size and speed. I wonder if Babers and Co. recruited him while at BGSU.

He's a Bethlehem, PA guy which would be nice to get as it's not too far. On the downside, he's already decommitted from Rutgers and is now no longer on the NCSU roster. We do need WRs, and he's got good size and speed. I wonder if Babers and Co. recruited him while at BGSU.
Decommiting from Rutgers actually proves that he is a relatively smart young man ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom