2003 one shining moment-Where were you? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2003 one shining moment-Where were you?

In the Super Dome. I don't know what row I sat in but it was floor level. John Wooden sat in my row on the other side of my section. He was really frail and had to be carried to his seat but he was there.

Rony Seikaly sat directly behind me and cried like a baby.

I had to blink away some tears too when it finally happened.

One Shining Moment is tough to watch in person when your team is featured. It was surreal in that almost no one was talking to each other or interacting with each other at all. Almost everyone was using their phone to take pictures or videos, or talking to someone someplace else.

You must have been near my brother and our friend. I think they were right behind or in front of wooden.

Great thread. Downtown Philly with SU alumni club. I had watched Elite 8 with some friends who were not Syracuse alums. They were not sufficiently engaged and I told them you can watch the title game with me if you want but this is where we are going. Parked the car and cued up We are the Champions for when I started the car to go home. I knew it was our night. We had an upstairs area all to ourselves and there was much hugging and crying when the buzzer went off. Watched the ending again at home, then again the next day and it really hit me, crying like a baby. I now have young kids and they love this video.

Ha. The ticket buying frenzy Sunday - Monday afternoon was crazy. People buying, trading up...etc. some of us ended up with great seats.

I might have shed a tear...I was definitely shaking the final 2 minutes...and because of where I was sitting it looked like Kueth Duany reached up and grabbed the final shot above the rim. I thought it was goaltending for a fraction of a second.

Then all hell broke loose...

I was in student seating which was at that end, and my angle was the same -- was very worried initially. Then all sorts of relieved.

Don't remember much about the aftermath, except I saw an Orange hat walking down Bourbon Street. I also remember being near my death bed at the airport, waiting for my flight back.

What a trip.

I watched at my folks house on the other side of Baldwinsville from our apartment. It was the Monday after a wicked ice storm and they were of the few with power, and heat. Fortunately I was off work that night. I worked at chase-pitkin where they set up a television on the front counter for employees and customers who were waiting for a tractor trailer load of generators to arrive.

In my apartment in Cleveland Heights, where I was living for grad school. Had a packed house with friends who were interested in watching the game. Consumed about a 55 gallon drum of orange soda throughout the game, so that I wouldn't miss anything [I'd gone to a sports bar for that shootout football game against VT, and couldn't remember any of the OTs, so I vowed not to repeat the same mistake].

As we white knuckled our way toward the end of the second half, and the final horn sounded, I just remember feeling relieved. The demon was finally exorcised.

In our apartment in Chicago. My wife was 8 months pregnant with our 1st, yet we still made it to Albany the week prior. I still tell my son how he got to see Melo cut down the nets from Mommy's belly...

In the super dome baby! I traded up Monday afternoon for lower level seats behind the SU bench. It was one of greatest weekends of my life and I am not ashamed to admit that I cried tears of joy after we won. The KU comeback was furious and I half expected to get hosed somehow / someway. I really can’t say that I have ever been happier than in that moment. It was pure joy. I smile just thinking about today.

The KU comeback was furious and I half expected to get hosed somehow / someway.

I think any of us old enough to have endured past SU heartaches were half-expecting something out of bizarro world to happen, and we would yet again be denied. I could not breathe until the final horn sounded and I still watched to make sure the refs hadn't pulled some crap on us. LOL

I was in Argentina as a missionary. Got special permission to watch the title game.

Just further proof God likes basketball. I mean, just look at how many Jesuit schools have strong programs.

Row 19 sitting next to the Duany family. Hugged and kissed them all after the win.
Should change your handle to CanoodlesDuanys imo.

I was still living in Philly a the time, wife was travelling and I watched the game alone in our apartment. I was too nervous to be around anyone. I wanted to drive up to Syracuse to watch the game there but was afraid to jinx anything.

In New Orleans at the game, sitting next to Tomcat. Obnoxious guy sitting next to us on Saturday night was wearing a Texas tee-shirt. Same obnoxious guy sitting next to us on Monday night ... was wearing a Kansas tee-shirt.

So nice that he was a two-time loser
Pre game, he tried to convince us that there was no way we would be able to stay close to his great Texas team. TJ Ford of Texas was named player of the year that season and this clown actually thought he deserved it.

I never would have been in seats that good if it wasn't for cto. Thanks again for that. It was a memorable night for all Syracuse fans but for those that were in the Super Dome, it was unbelievably moving and special.

A night I will never forget.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was watching at home. Didn't want to watch with any friends or strangers - just my dad. The moment that the final horn sounded, I was in more disbelief than anything ...I kept on muttering "I can't believe we did it, I can't believe we did it".

I was starting my own business in 6/03, and I so wanted to go to the FF, but I thought it best that I saved the cash and stayed home. I still kick myself about that decision. I told myself that I would not miss an SU FF again, and so far, I haven't.

Living room of my 1st home. I had just come home from work about 10:30 that night. I remember waking my wife and 5 month old son up, after we won, from yelling and screaming my fool head off!

I was in a hotel bar in San Diego. We had a big company meeting down there and my boss (idiot) said we would all go out to dinner. I told him I would pass because I HAD to watch the game and he gave me a really hard time. He finally gave in when all the other people said they wanted to watch as well.
I remember leaving the table and standing right in front of the big screen TV after Hak’s block. I knew KU had one last chance and I had 87 flashbacks (I was a sophomore in 87). When Hinrichs’s shot missed, I threw my hands in the air, dropped to my knees and pounded the floor. I then stood up and turned around, all my co-workers were looking at me like I was crazy. I didn’t care.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom