Red's Season One a success! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Red's Season One a success!

I’ll be happy to take full credit for the turnaround this season after my bust thread. It obviously inspired the team to prove me wrong purely out of spite ;)
You are forgiven. If you are the magic talisman we need a spell cast for tomorrow night.

First 20-win regular season since Tyler Ennis was our point guard.

Let that sink in.
My sophomore year. Simultaneously feels like yesterday and ages ago.

Wait? You go on about how he did things better than JB did and pivot to we aren't a top ranked threat we used to be . You mean when JB was coach?
Calculating for the NET it lolsloke cupcakes need to be on the menu. Seems it pays off and that stinks.

Ok, if Red keeps this team together SU should be very good.
The core is decent and we’re adding a couple of good recruits, but we need some of the roster to turnover so we can add 2-3 additional key players. We won’t be successful next year if we can’t rebound, defend the low post, and shoot from 3 effectively. Those are big voids to fill and there’s nobody on the current roster capable of improving to fill the voids completely.

I want to say this after a disappointing loss rather than a win.

Red has done a great job.

20 wins? Beyond my expectations.

Got us to the edge of the bubble? Again, better than expected.

Expected NIT and that’s where we’re headed. But getting there on an upswing and might make a run there.

Red has some momentum and really look forward to what he does next.

That’s more on where JB left us, unfortunately

NIT is a step up, and from this point unacceptable.
JB was pretty bad in his last two years. It’s a shame he held on way too long over the past decade.

OUr record is better with Red than it would have been with JB. That said we need to change some personnel because the same core leaves us in the same spot next year. We need to upgrade all over.

I disagree with that last line.

We’ve clearly got some solid pieces.
We now need to fill in the holes (C, a true do-it-all SF, PG) and we should be cooking with gas next year.

ALL SEVEN guys who played last night are Sophomores.

So, it only makes sense that those who return, should improve a bit more.

Plus we’ve got Donnie & Choppa inbound, and hopefully a few key portal adds also.

I’m assuming Judah jumps.
Maybe JT should look to transfer, and/or Red needs to give him “the talk”.
We know Hima is gone.

Meanwhile, Clempsum has FOUR Seniors (some are 5th year like JGIII), and “Chef” is a Jr.
that’s a ton of experience.

They’re losing a LOT after this season.

And Red himself can continue to improve.
It’s remarkable that he’s won 20 games in the regular season for the first time in a DECADE.
Which also just goes to show the level of decline that occurred in the last quarter of JAB’s tenure.

OUr record is better with Red than it would have been with JB. That said we need to change some personnel because the same core leaves us in the same spot next year. We need to upgrade all over.
That’s the issue I’ve been looking at all year long. What can Red do in the portal and/or keeping the pieces we actually want. That’s where he’s unproven and makes me somewhat nervous. We’ll see. The program just isn’t the draw that we all remember where players would be “dying” to play for Syracuse, plus with NIL it’s even harder. If he can formulate a very good team next season, that’ll be a tremendous achievement and a great sign for long term success. In the meantime, we’re a mediocre program that just got beaten down by Clemson basketball, not football, basketball. We’re a long way from where we want to be. Need to recruit, recruit, recruit at all levels.

Red has done a nice job this year. The team was never that good. It was mediocre at the start and, while playing well at the finish, is still mediocre.

All these declarations about how the team sucks and Judah Mintz sucks are tiring. Judah Mintz doesn’t suck. Conversely, equally tiring are all these victory laps taken about this basketball season by the same people that take victory laps when the football team is 4-0 and we’ve beaten no one. It’s just silly. Can’t we take the team and season for what it is? A good season based on where we are, but not so good based on where we want to be.

I agree with the poster further up. Let’s see where the rest of the season takes us. Maybe we can shock people. I’d be happy but we’re still a majorly flawed team.

Can Red identify and secure the talent needed to get us back to the promised land? That’s the question we need to ask at this point.

All circumstances considered he’s done a really good job.

One thing he’s proven is that the job isn’t to big for him.

He has a lot of work to do though if this is going to go as well as it has at Duke and UNC.

Duke & UNC weren’t borderline dumpster fires when the reins got handed over from the HOF’er to the alum.
Both programs still near their peak, and certainly had the talent they’ve always had.

Cuse not remotely the same thing.

Follow-up - short of a Louisville level cratering, Rec is getting five years to build his case.

Thats qualified if Wildhack retires. Then all bets are off.

Duke & UNC weren’t borderline dumpster fires when the reins got handed over from the HOF’er to the alum.
Both programs still near their peak, and certainly had the talent they’ve always had.

Cuse not remotely the same thing.
That’s why there is work to do.

So, it only makes sense that those who return, should improve a bit more.
I know this is conventional wisdom, but it's not always true. It's survivors bias. We tend to remember the players who were good and usually they are upperclassmen, but the guys who can't play at this level tend to lose their roles, minutes, and/or transfer to a lower level of competition.

Red did pretty good with this squad overall, but I have no interest in running this team back. There needs to be an overall talent infusion. I don't have any idea about how that is going to shake out, but an almost kinda sorta bubble team can't just bank on a guy who hasn't played in two season, two freshman, and some very one-dimensional players suddenly expanding their game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom