2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Page 46 | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

We know this much:

This was a Playoff officiating crew, should be on top of the rules and capable of enforcing them

We know they enforced two 15-yard penalties that were technically good calls against the Bengals. The first (hit on defenseless receiver) was clear-cut, and moved the Steelers into FG range for a 50-yarder. The second was an interesting one, a 15-yarder that moved the FG to 35 yards...I think we can all agree a 35 yarder vs. 50 yarder makes a big difference in that situation.

We know they willfully ignored or did not enforce two 15 yard penalties against the Steelers -- the Spearing penalty that resulted in a change of possession instead of 1st & Goal for the Bengals which would have likely led to points for the Bengals. They then missed that a representative of the Steelers was on the field when he shouldn't have been, which led to the 2nd 15 yard penalty on the Bengals. Those would have off-set leaving a 50 yard attempt.

The point I was making is that the veteran officiating crew really screwed up this game...they missed a major penalty which resulted in a Turnover and cost one team points, momentum, etc.

The call was so bad it changed what was already a challenging environment into a down-right hostile one, throughout the stadium.

The lead official had to see on the replay that they'd blown a major, major call when he justified the fumble. They all have earpieces on, is it not so that they can communicate this fact amongst themselves?

I've read here that contact with an official is an auto-flag for 15 yards. Well, first, so is Spearing, and they didn't flag that. Second, as a result of the officials' horrendous missed call, there were about 3-4 major altercations over the last 10-15 mins of the game. Presumably there were tens if not a hundred incremental "contacts" between the officials and the players as they kept these conflicts, which flared because of the officials' own incompetence, to small skirmishes and separated the players...so it's NOT true that contact with an official is an automatic flag. There appears to be a healthy level of discretion the officials can bring to bear on the situation.

And what I'm suggesting, is since they had screwed up so bad...the officials should have reached back into that bag of discretion and not penalized the Bengals on that last play...they moved the FG from 50 yards to 35, further ensuring the Steelers would win after all they'd already done to change the outcome of the game.

YES, I think the official should have used his discretion to not throw the last flag, as annoying as Jones might have been, because they'd already helped determine the outcome of the game way more than they should ever.

One last point, where is there a statute of limitations on some penalties and not others...the officials can gather and throw a late Flag on Grounding but not Spearing? It was an obvious penalty, why can't they see the replay, see it was an obvious foul and drop a flag? What's the reason?

The Bengals lost their cool, but they were hosed, plain and simple. But, CBS and the NFL wanted a Steelers/Broncos rematch and they got what they wanted. I would imagine this "elite" officiating crew will be well-comped for helping to facilitate a more attractive TV match-up.
Well said (though I have no love for the Bengals and they have some bad actors on their team so F em). On a side note - Pacman Jones is allowed to play in the league? Jesus. Although you did have an alleged rapist (wonder how much he paid the woman) leading their final drive. What a league!!

No, the Steelers had 3 TOs

No one would have kneeled there...a FD ends the game, even a 4 point lead is not safe with 1:30 left.

Pretty sure it was 2... I could be mistaken. If it was three I agree with you then, but asking Ben to get a td against that defense with 45 secs and no timeouts would of been a difficult task.

Cusefan0307 said:
Pretty sure it was 2... I could be mistaken. If it was three I agree with you then, but asking Ben to get a td against that defense with 45 secs and no timeouts would of been a difficult task.

I just checked, Pittsburgh called 3 TOs on the last drive.

Also, the Bengals started on the 26, after three kneels you'd have it around the 30 yard line or so...not ideal to try a 47 yard FG in those conditions with a 1-pt lead.

Hill is a moron but you wouldn't kneel when a FD effectively ends the game (depending on how many rushes it takes to get it).

A guy like Belichek might even pass there knowing the FD is key (safe passes)

Question how does TC lose his job. With 12 years 3 division titles, 2 SB Wins. Overall 8-3 playoff record.

Yet Marvin Lewis keeps his job year after year. 13 years 0-7 playoff record.

I'm a Giant fan who though Tom deserved another year.

Question how does TC lose his job. With 12 years 3 division titles, 2 SB Wins. Overall 8-3 playoff record.

Yet Marvin Lewis keeps his job year after year. 13 years 0-7 playoff record.

I'm a Giant fan who though Tom deserved another year.
I'm no Marvin Lewis fan, but getting one's team to the playoffs consistently is impressive in a league that promotes constant change. Winning in the postseason depends a great deal on good fortune.

Cincinnati should have take 3 knees and kicked the FG.

Btw to you deflategate conspiracy theorists guess which team had the lowest fumbles and fumbles lost in the NFL his year? Yeah it was the Patriots again I guess that theory was wrong.
The New England-KC winner is going to win at Denver.

Alsacs said:
Cincinnati should have take 3 knees and kicked the FG. Btw to you deflategate conspiracy theorists guess which team had the lowest fumbles and fumbles lost in the NFL his year? Yeah it was the Patriots again I guess that theory was wrong. The New England-KC winner is going to win at Denver.

Isn't it easier to hang onto a softer ball?

Cincinnati should have take 3 knees and kicked the FG.

Btw to you deflategate conspiracy theorists guess which team had the lowest fumbles and fumbles lost in the NFL his year? Yeah it was the Patriots again I guess that theory was wrong.
The New England-KC winner is going to win at Denver.

Thats typical monday morning qb, they gained 7 yards on first down, the kid just didn't hang on to the ball. A first down there ends the game.

Isn't it easier to hang onto a softer ball?
That was the argument but his point is they were the best this year as well also the NFL switched out the balls at halftime today due to fear that the weather conditions would result in low PSI.

Drudge/SB nation has a report on Joey Porter and his activities into the Bengals huddle

This is even worse than originally seen

NFL is a joke, pure soap opera now

They gonna get what they wanna get

Complete embarrassment for the league, 7 game officials don't recognize an enormous Steelers asst stirring the pot with Bengals players

I'm convinced, this officiating crew is one of the four swat team crews I've predicted they have to ensure outcomes they want . No other explanation for the outcome and lack of officiating effectiveness

I'm assuming they're paid well for looking so dumb on national television

Tobias Funke said:
That was the argument but his point is they were the best this year as well also the NFL switched out the balls at halftime today due to fear that the weather conditions would result in low PSI.

Maybe they were the best because the balls were always being deflated making it easier to hold on to them and fumble less?

Thats typical monday morning qb, they gained 7 yards on first down, the kid just didn't hang on to the ball. A first down there ends the game.
You watched the game and the rain down pour all second half right? The ball was wet all game long. It is not MMQB it is playing safe. A FG there would have forced Pitt to score a TD with 0 TOs.

Maybe they were the best because the balls were always being deflated making it easier to hold on to them and fumble less?
You obviously didn't get my point. This YEAR the Patriots had the lowest fumble rate and fumbles lost and this was AFTER deflategate.

The Patriots coaches stress ball control and there is a reason Steven Ridley was benched and subsquently not resigned because he fumbled too much for the Patriots. The Patriots fumble rate had nothing to do with PSI levels as again this year they fumbled the least in the NFL.

Tobias Funke said:
were they deflating them this year?

Maybe? :)

You watched the game and the rain down pour all second half right? The ball was wet all game long. It is not MMQB it is playing safe. A FG there would have forced Pitt to score a TD with 0 TOs.

Which is exactly why even a fg wasn't automatic, which is why they were trying to get as close as they could. If the Bengals didn't completely implode with penalties they would have won.

No, the Steelers had 3 TOs

No one would have kneeled there...a FD ends the game, even a 4 point lead is not safe with 1:30 left.

Well they should kneel there. I've seen so many times where fumbles occur in those occasions. You know they're going to try to rip the ball out. Why take the risk? Chew up the clock, kick the FG and the only way you lose is if they throw a hail mary in to the end zone. Possible but highly improbable.

Well they should kneel there. I've seen so many times where fumbles occur in those occasions. You know they're going to try to rip the ball out. Why take the risk? Chew up the clock, kick the FG and the only way you lose is if they throw a hail mary in to the end zone. Possible but highly improbable.

If you take a knee three times, you are going to lose yards, making it far from automatic fg. Were people saying take a knee when the Bengals got the ball there?

If you take a knee three times, you are going to lose yards, making it far from automatic fg. Were people saying take a knee when the Bengals got the ball there?

Personally I was saying take a knee right at that time. Because of Bernard being out you're left with a fumbler (Hill). You take a knee three times and you lose a yard each time so you're left with a 46 yarder. Nugent makes that 75% of the time. If you're up four and they have no TOs then the game is 95% (minimum) in Cinci's favor. They lost the only way they could lose - by fumbling. Bottom line - don't fumble.

Personally I was saying take a knee right at that time. Because of Bernard being out you're left with a fumbler (Hill). You take a knee three times and you lose a yard each time so you're left with a 46 yarder. Nugent makes that 75% of the time. If you're up four and they have no TOs then the game is 95% (minimum) in Cinci's favor. They lost the only way they could lose - by fumbling. Bottom line - don't fumble.
At the time I was saying to run three QB sneaks = no hand-offs - not in the open field where you can get stripped - gain three yards instead of losing three yards - eat up more clock than taking a knee. Second choice though was taking a knee.

A 46 yarder in those conditions are far from a gimme, in fact it would have been a tough fg to make. You are one first down from icing the game. Don't be a moron and commit 30 yards in personal fouls and you win.