2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Page 47 | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

Disgraceful, how do you let your team completely lose control like that? As many games as Marvin Lewis has won, its time for that franchise to move on.

I'm not really sure what Marvin could have done. I feel like it's not really the coach's responsibility to warn his players not to attempt murder on defenseless receivers and not to get into fights with the other team's coaches. I guess you could say it's his fault for coaching two idiots? At any rate, Pac-man is gone this offseason; Burfict is just too good for them to get rid of I think (even if I think his reputation says he shouldn't be allowed to play football).

It seems to me that the 3 things that killed them (Hill fumble, and the two personal fouls) are all out of the coach's control.

At the same time, I could totally see them firing Marvin simply because they've gone to the playoffs 7 times now and he couldn't get them over the hump, but I think they'll have a hard time replacing him if they do.

I'm not really sure what Marvin could have done. I feel like it's not really the coach's responsibility to warn his players not to attempt murder on defenseless receivers and not to get into fights with the other team's coaches. I guess you could say it's his fault for coaching two idiots? At any rate, Pac-man is gone this offseason; Burfict is just too good for them to get rid of I think (even if I think his reputation says he shouldn't be allowed to play football).

It seems to me that the 3 things that killed them (Hill fumble, and the two personal fouls) are all out of the coach's control.

At the same time, I could totally see them firing Marvin simply because they've gone to the playoffs 7 times now and he couldn't get them over the hump, but I think they'll have a hard time replacing him if they do.

I believe it was Lewis who wanted both of those guys making a case that he could control them both. He couldn't and that should be that.

Any word on Burfict's punishment? I really thought that receiver was going to be paralyzed when I watched him go down in slow motion. That was a disturbing hit.

I believe it was Lewis who wanted both of those guys making a case that he could control them both. He couldn't and that should be that.

Any word on Burfict's punishment? I really thought that receiver was going to be paralyzed when I watched him go down in slow motion. That was a disturbing hit.

Everyone suspects Burfict will be suspended for a game or two, but nothing official yet.

I honestly have no idea if Lewis wanted them on his team or not; I wouldn't blame him for wanting Burfict. The guy was an undrafted rookie and he's turned into one of the best linebackers in the league. I'm not sure Pac-man is really worth the hassle though.

Tom Coughlin to Cincinnati is scary. That team has so much talent and Coughlin actually prepares teams. The Giants talent has gone downward and Coughlin hasn't been the guy running the drafts.

If Cincy hired Coughlin they would be my pick to win the AFC next year. Denver will have no QB or overpay Osweiler and NE is going to eventually come back to Earth.

Tom Coughlin to Cincinnati is scary. That team has so much talent and Coughlin actually prepares teams. The Giants talent has gone downward and Coughlin hasn't been the guy running the drafts.

If Cincy hired Coughlin they would be my pick to win the AFC next year. Denver will have no QB or overpay Osweiler and NE is going to eventually come back to Earth.

Some of the Bengals would not be capable of playing for Coughlin IMO.

Full NFL spin complex in effect today...all partners involved in Billions involved...ESPN's list of the Top 10 most impactful plays this weekend does not include the Spearing/Fumble on the Steelers/Bengals. Absurd!

No, fumble from the result of an illegal play that took away a scoring opportunity wasn't as a completion for 24 yards

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/113502/the-10-biggest-plays-of-wild-card-weekend
ESPN is a joke. They have no credibility they do whatever the NFL tells them to do.

Some of the Bengals would not be capable of playing for Coughlin IMO.
Like whom? I mean Pacman is gone and Burfict is going to get suspended.

I think Coughlin could give Dalton a spark and that team has a really good OL, and a deep WR and RB cores.

The DL has nice pieces and the secondary has nice foundation.

Cincinnati is probably one of the top 3 talented rosters in the NFL and they are paying Green/Dalton top tier money and will have cap space.

Eh, I think the same could be the case if they simply keep Marvin. They were arguably the best team in the AFC until Dalton got hurt.

At any rate, probably a waste of time discussing this...it sounds like the Bengals have no intentions of firing Marvin.

I think Coughlin could give Dalton a spark and that team has a really good OL, and a deep WR and RB cores.

The DL has nice pieces and the secondary has nice foundation.

Cincinnati is probably one of the top 3 talented rosters in the NFL and they are paying Green/Dalton top tier money and will have cap space.

He was already in the MVP discussion before his injury; the spark already happened.

Personally I was saying take a knee right at that time. Because of Bernard being out you're left with a fumbler (Hill). You take a knee three times and you lose a yard each time so you're left with a 46 yarder. Nugent makes that 75% of the time. If you're up four and they have no TOs then the game is 95% (minimum) in Cinci's favor. They lost the only way they could lose - by fumbling. Bottom line - don't fumble.
I wouldn't take a knee. If you miss that 46 yarder (certainly plausible), Pitt gets the ball close to mid field only needing a FG to win with enough time to do so.

longislandcuse said:
I wouldn't take a knee. If you miss that 46 yarder (certainly plausible), Pitt gets the ball close to mid field only needing a FG to win with enough time to do so.

Exactly

Eh, I think the same could be the case if they simply keep Marvin. They were arguably the best team in the AFC until Dalton got hurt.

At any rate, probably a waste of time discussing this...it sounds like the Bengals have no intentions of firing Marvin.

He was already in the MVP discussion before his injury; the spark already happened.
Dalton is 0-5 in the playoffs. The regular season success is meaningless for the guy as again the talent around him is amazing. He has a top 5 OL and elite WR core and really good TEs.

Marvin Lewis is 0-7 in the playoffs. Sometimes you have to say he is good but is good enough. Cincinnati has had the better team in 4 of the 7 games. I will cut him slack on the 2005 Pitt and Houston games.

Dalton is 0-5 in the playoffs. The regular season success is meaningless for the guy as again the talent around him is amazing. He has a top 5 OL and elite WR core and really good TEs.

Marvin Lewis is 0-7 in the playoffs. Sometimes you have to say he is good but is good enough. Cincinnati has had the better team in 4 of the 7 games. I will cut him slack on the 2005 Pitt and Houston games.

Didn't have his top two receivers in the game last year. You have to give him some slack on that one.

Didn't have his top two receivers in the game last year. You have to give him some slack on that one.
Cincy is deep enough without Jones and Green they still have a lot of weapons in Gio Bernard, Jeremy Hill, Muhammed Sanu, Brandon Tate that on a crappy Colts defense should score more than 10 points.

Andy Dalton was awful in that game and his OL was healthy. The Colts run D last year was pathetic. I put that on Dalton.

Cincy is deep enough without Jones and Green they still have a lot of weapons in Gio Bernard, Jeremy Hill, Muhammed Sanu, Brandon Tate that on a crappy Colts defense should score more than 10 points.

Andy Dalton was awful in that game and his OL was healthy. The Colts run D last year was pathetic. I put that on Dalton.

Hill injured his ankle in that game as well right? Tough to run when your running back is hobbled, even slightly.

Hill injured his ankle in that game as well right? Tough to run when your running back is hobbled, even slightly.
Gio Bernard and Rex Burkhead are pretty decent RBs and Dalton had a TD to Brandon Tate WIDE OPEN in that game he underthrew on a flea flicker. Dalton was bad in that game 18 for 35 for about 150 yards.

Good QBs with less have done better. Dalton has not been good in any of his 5 playoff games.

Whats everyone's opinion of KC? They have played better than anyone in the AFC for three months. I think they have a shot to beat the Pats, but Andy Reid usually makes some boneheaded decision to blow big games.

I remember the book on him in Philly was he threw the ball wayyy to much and would never run, and people would always say that's why they lost big games. Now he's completely the opposite. He's changed his philosophy in KC into a run first/defensive scheme.

Whats everyone's opinion of KC? They have played better than anyone in the AFC for three months. I think they have a shot to beat the Pats, but Andy Reid usually makes some boneheaded decision to blow big games.

I remember the book on him in Philly was he threw the ball wayyy to much and would never run, and people would always say that's why they lost big games. Now he's completely the opposite. He's changed his philosophy in KC into a run first/defensive scheme.
If Maclin can't play I think NE will win but KC can definitely win. Their D has been awesome but NE is going to have Edelman, Amendola, Gronkowski, and Vollmer at LT. People forget NE had a bye week 4 the week off last week was huge for them.

KC needs Maclin to stretch the NE D. If the Pats can focus on Kelce because Maclin is out I think they will shut down the KC offense enough. Butler/Ryan have been decent corners they need a WR to stretch the field. As the D will have Hightower/Collins to stop the run.

KC is a bad matchup for NE because of their DL. If KC had Charles/Maclin this would be an even game. I think the winner of this game goes to Denver and will be in Super Bowl 50. I have no confidence Peyton Manning can play back to back good enough games.

Peyton Manning finished 33rd out of 33 qualified QBs in passer rating/efficiency. He also led the league in INTs and missed 5.5 games. Think about that.

KC/NE comes down to do you think KC will hold NE under 24? NE needs 24 points to win. I think the NE D will do fine against KC O.

It's hard to doubt them considering they've won 11 or 12 in a row now, but their schedule has been extremely weak over that stretch. 3 of those wins came against playoff teams, but 2 of those 3 were against the awful Texans and the Landry Jones Steelers. They've been taking care of business, but assuming Brady, Edelman, and Gronk's health, I'd say the Patriots should be roughly 5 point favorites at Foxboro. It's hard to get a feel for what to expect from New England since this is probably going to be the healthiest they've been in awhile, but I could definitely see the Chiefs pulling it off.

Edit: If Maclin is out/is playing at like 50%, I think the Patriots roll.

If Maclin can't play I think NE will win but KC can definitely win. Their D has been awesome but NE is going to have Edelman, Amendola, Gronkowski, and Vollmer at LT. People forget NE had a bye week 4 the week off last week was huge for them.

KC needs Maclin to stretch the NE D. If the Pats can focus on Kelce because Maclin is out I think they will shut down the KC offense enough. Butler/Ryan have been decent corners they need a WR to stretch the field. As the D will have Hightower/Collins to stop the run.

KC is a bad matchup for NE because of their DL. If KC had Charles/Maclin this would be an even game. I think the winner of this game goes to Denver and will be in Super Bowl 50. I have no confidence Peyton Manning can play back to back good enough games.

Peyton Manning finished 33rd out of 33 qualified QBs in passer rating/efficiency. He also led the league in INTs and missed 5.5 games. Think about that.

KC/NE comes down to do you think KC will hold NE under 24? NE needs 24 points to win. I think the NE D will do fine against KC O.

I don't think Maclin will be right, so NE should be ok on D.

I remember going back to that game last year on Monday night they completely destroyed the Pats line, but now im hearing Justin Houston isn't 100% either.

Teams that get the bye ususally win for a reason. I'm sure the gameplan will be to stop Kelce much like BB did against Jimmy Graham when the Pats played the Saints two years ago.

I agree that Denver is fools gold with Manning at QB, and I think Pittsburgh is as well if Ben is hurt against that D.

The Pats hold the ultimate Trump card because they have the best QB remaining in the AFC.

Is it just me or are the injuries to top players this year greater than they have ever been. Also for all the offense the NFL produces these days, we still get tons of run/stop the run low scoring playoff games that are reminiscent of 1970's football.

I don't think Maclin will be right, so NE should be ok on D.

I remember going back to that game last year on Monday night they completely destroyed the Pats line, but now im hearing Justin Houston isn't 100% either.

Teams that get the bye ususally win for a reason. I'm sure the gameplan will be to stop Kelce much like BB did against Jimmy Graham when the Pats played the Saints two years ago.

I agree that Denver is fools gold with Manning at QB, and I think Pittsburgh is as well if Ben is hurt against that D.

The Pats hold the ultimate Trump card because they have the best QB remaining in the AFC.

Is it just me or are the injuries to top players this year greater than they have ever been. Also for all the offense the NFL produces these days, we still get tons of run/stop the run low scoring playoff games that are reminiscent of 1970's football.
KC DL killed the Pats last year before the shuffled their OL up. Houston/Hali will be tough but with Edelman/Amendola/Gronk they will pass really quick.
KC killed the Pats with Jamaal Charles/Knile Davis backfield last year and the Pats DL is better this year than last year in run D.

Alex Smith is Captain checkdown you need explosion plays to beat NE. They will let him drive the ball I am sure but they will keep him out of endzone. I actually want Maclin to play as I don't think he will be effective without his speed.

I think the score will be 24-17 type of game. KC can win if their pass rush kills Brady but the crowd noise at Arrowhead killed the Pats last year on MNF. I don't trust Andy Reid vs. Belichick. Last year was the first time an Andy Reid coached team beat a Bill Belichick coached team.

Denver is going to beat Pittsburgh unless Big Ben shoots himself up and he can throw. As I think the Denver D will kill Pittsburgh unless Ben can throw. If I am Pittsburgh I stuff the box and force Peyton to throw those seem routes to beat them.

He could have benched Burfict, Burfict was trying to injure players, at some point you can't allow that to go on.

Well considering I coined them the "fools gold chefs" yesterday on here, I'm doubling down on that without Maclin. Check down Charlie's only hope to keep D's honest is Maclin. They cannot capitalize on the score board with turnovers. In the game they beat Denver, they were handed 5 freakin to's and scored 2 td's the whole game. Fast forward to Saturday, they were handed 5 to's and scored 2 td's on O. That's abysmal. They got Manning on his worst day and he and the coach admitted he should've never played, he tried playing through 3 reported injuries. They got just a horrible qb Saturday in Hoyer. They are basically a fg unit on O. That won't cut it in the playoffs, they lose this weekend by 14.

The Steelers can lose the sandbag act now. No one is believing their main players won't play. Concussion protocol's have a way of clearing up and working themselves out by game day, esp. when it's playoffs and the best wr in the league. And we don't even need to discuss Ben. Now everyone jumps from how they were the most dangerous AFC team in the playoffs and all the sudden moving the goal posts and conceding Denver wins. Na, Denver can lose out right. The Steelers are just as dangerous as they were before this past weekend. That's why who wins in Mile High will be the AFC rep. A win by either will be hard and earned. Manning's as healthy as he's been all season. By all reports been having very good practices including today. That's not been the case before now. Our local media is as hard on the Bronco's as anyone nationally. They reported very bad practices from Manning for most of the season.

Briancuse said:
He could have benched Burfict, Burfict was trying to injure players, at some point you can't allow that to go on.

Thin rosters, how many LBs do they carry on a team?

I'm asking don't know

Well considering I coined them the "fools gold chefs" yesterday on here, I'm doubling down on that without Maclin. Check down Charlie's only hope to keep D's honest is Maclin. They cannot capitalize on the score board with turnovers. In the game they beat Denver, they were handed 5 freakin to's and scored 2 td's the whole game. Fast forward to Saturday, they were handed 5 to's and scored 2 td's on O. That's abysmal. They got Manning on his worst day and he and the coach admitted he should've never played, he tried playing through 3 reported injuries. They got just a horrible qb Saturday in Hoyer. They are basically a fg unit on O. That won't cut it in the playoffs, they lose this weekend by 14.

The Steelers can lose the sandbag act now. No one is believing their main players won't play. Concussion protocol's have a way of clearing up and working themselves out by game day, esp. when it's playoffs and the best wr in the league. And we don't even need to discuss Ben. Now everyone jumps from how they were the most dangerous AFC team in the playoffs and all the sudden moving the goal posts and conceding Denver wins. Na, Denver can lose out right. The Steelers are just as dangerous as they were before this past weekend. That's why who wins in Mile High will be the AFC rep. A win by either will be hard and earned. Manning's as healthy as he's been all season. By all reports been having very good practices including today. That's not been the case before now. Our local media is as hard on the Bronco's as anyone nationally. They reported very bad practices from Manning for most of the season.

I missed that post. All I could see was everything about the Bengal fiasco. Check down Charlie is wayy too funny though! I had myself almost talked into KC until the last couple of posts.

Interesting to hear about Manning. I trust your right. He should be as healthy as he has been all year. I expect that to be a hard hitting game.