2016 Post Spring Depth Chart | Syracusefan.com

2016 Post Spring Depth Chart

http://cuse.com/news/2016/4/22/football-2016-post-spring-depth-chart.aspx

SYRACUSE, N.Y. –
First-year Syracuse University head football coach Dino Babers released the 2016 post-spring depth chart on Friday, April 22.

While the listing serves as a template heading into off-season conditioning and preseason camp, Babers previously stressed nothing is set in stone and position battles will continue as the season opener against Colgate draws closer.

"They're not going to be solidified until we play Colgate," Babers said of the depth charts. "We are going to let them [the players] run and they are either going to stay in that group or move up or move down. I told the team the coaches don't set the depth charts. It has nothing to do with me. It has everything to do with them."

So let the competition continue.

Below are some fast facts on the initial 2016 lineup.

BY THE NUMBERS:
3 – The team's three hybrid backs from last season – Dontae Strickland, Ervin Philips and Tyrone Perkins have all found new homes in Babers' spread offense. Strickland is projected to the be first-string running back, while Philips and Perkins are working at the inside receiver position.

10 – Junior wide receiver Steve Ishmael, a projected starter at outside receiver, has hauled in 10 touchdown receptions in his first two seasons on campus. Ishmael is two touchdown catches shy of tying Mike Siano for 10th place on the Syracuse all-time receiving touchdowns list.

10 – Jersey number of punter Sterling Hofrichter, who is expected to replace All-ACC honoree Riley Dixon at that position. Hofrichter redshirted in 2015.

17 – The number of players penciled in as starters who have made at least one start in their Orange careers. Offensive lineman Omari Palmer, the projected starting right guard, has been with the first-string the most (21 starts).

30 – The number of players on the roster who started at least one game. Those 30 individuals have combined for 271 cumulative starts since 2013.

33 – Tackles in 2015 for projected starting strong safety Kielan Whitner, the most stops by an Orange true freshman last season.

80.4 – Percentage of Syracuse's tackle production returning. Rising junior middle linebacker Zaire Franklin, who is the projected starter for the second year in a row, topped last season's tackle ledger with 81 stops.

1,649 – Rising sophomore quarterback Eric Dungey's yards of total offense last season. Dungey is penciled in as the starting signal caller, and his total offensive output in his rookie year ranked third on the SU freshman record list. In addition, his 16 total touchdowns were two shy of Donovan's McNabb's rookie record for touchdown responsibility (18 in 1995).

1,813 – More than 92 percent of the club's total rushing output in 2015 will return to the field this upcoming year. Returning players ran for 1,813 yards during 2015 with rising sophomore running back Jordan Fredericks leading the way with 607 yards.

The 2016 season gets underway Friday, Sept. 2 at home against Colgate. This year's schedule features six home dates, including Atlantic Coast Conference games against Louisville, Virginia Tech, NC State and Florida State.

Season tickets are on sale now online, by phone (1-888-DOMETIX) and at the Carrier Dome Box Office (Gate B). Tickets start at $99 ($16.50 per game) with lower-level seats in the end zones available for as little as $125. The deadline for season ticket holders to renew their seats is April 29.

Single-game tickets for all home games except Florida State go on sale June 21. Tickets to watch the Orange and Seminoles are tentatively scheduled to go on sale July 26. Tickets start at $20 for non-conference games versus Colgate and USF, $25 for the Louisville and NC State games, and $30 for the Virginia Tech and Florida State contests.

Here's a link to the full depth chart (for those who can't see tweets).

http://cuse.com/documents/2016/4/21/PostSpring2016_Depth.pdf
Samuels in front of Clark is interesting. I wonder what that is supposed to accomplish?

Maybe I am crazy but I thought Cordy played strong safety in the spring game, with Williams at free safety.

Thought Bennett was our SAM. Interesting to see him listed at WILL.

Strange things are afoot at the Baber K.

Last edited:
Samuels in front of Clark is interesting. I wonder what that is supposed to accomplish?

Maybe I am crazy but I thought Cordy played strong safety in the spring game, with Williams at free safety.

Thought Bennett was our SAM. Interesting to see him listed at WILL.

Strange things are afoot at the Baber K.

What do you mean? Clark is good but lets not get crazy because his father posts here.

Steve was probably one of our best DL last year.

I realize that but you don't think Samuels might have done better in the Spring? Didn't Babers say he wasn't looking at what happened last year? I'm all for letting the best player play and if that's Samuels then that's the way it is.

Louie and Bouie said:
btw, these lists are about as valuable as the paper they are written on at this point as they've always been. Anyone notice there are 12 starters on offense?

Maybe that's why a Babers offense is high scoring?

Last edited:
That DE depth chart is scary. Not a knock against any one player, but you have a true frosh, a RS frosh, a former TE and a walk on. Yikes.

Sharrod better be game ready. And even then it's still scary.

George Morris down to 4th string TB. That's a good statement about the youth, but too bad there wasn't a place for him elsewhere. I thought he was a nice comeback player in 2015 after a pretty disastrous 2014.

That DE depth chart is scary. Not a knock against any one player, but you have a true frosh, a RS frosh, a former TE and a walk on. Yikes.

Lots of pressure on Pickard to perform. We can't afford for him to not be up to the task.

We also need Sherrod to come in and basically be a difference maker, which is no sure thing.

Those two things happening would go a LONG way toward shoring up this key position. From there, we also need Ruff and at least one frosh--probably two--to emerge as a reasonably solid platoon. I'd kill to have Simmons or Thompson back.

Lots of pressure on Pickard to perform. We can't afford for him to not be up to the task.

We also need Sherrod to come in and basically be a difference maker, which is no sure thing.

Those two things happening would go a LONG way toward shoring up this key position. From there, we also need Ruff and at least one frosh--probably two--to emerge as a reasonably solid platoon. I'd kill to have Simmons or Thompson back.
I know it's crying over spilt milk now, but I just saw a mock draft and Thompson is a sixth or seventh round pick projection. What are these guys thinking?

I know it's crying over spilt milk now, but I just saw a mock draft and Thompson is a sixth or seventh round pick projection. What are these guys thinking?

$$$ Also it seemed he wasn't keeping up with school work.

If you think Samuels is a better player than Clark, you are watching a different game than I am.

I guess we will find out who is better in September.
well, at present...its apparent Babers does.

competition, is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom