2016 Post Spring Depth Chart | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Post Spring Depth Chart

I know it's crying over spilt milk now, but I just saw a mock draft and Thompson is a sixth or seventh round pick projection. What are these guys thinking?

Thompson is thinking that he didn't want to play for his 3rd different coach in 5 years.

Did you guys notice the size & weight of our offensive line both 1st & 2nd team? Am I mistaken or is this the biggest line we've had in a long time? I remember having field passes when we played Penn State when they were last in the Dome and we looked like boys compared to them. I know these are Shafer recruits but we did get bigger in my opinion. Size matters! ;)

Chip said:
Sharrod better be game ready. And even then it's still scary. George Morris down to 4th string TB. That's a good statement about the youth, but too bad there wasn't a place for him elsewhere. I thought he was a nice comeback player in 2015 after a pretty disastrous 2014.

Yea, I'm not worried about RB. Probably our deepest position. I too thought Morris had a nice season last year.

Thompson is thinking that he didn't want to play for his 3rd different coach in 5 years.
Shafer was his coach for the whole time. That 3rd different coach stuff seems like kind of a made-up reason. When a defensive coordinator, who likes the player, gets promoted to head coach, it's good for the player. My guess is (from a distance, not knowing him at all), as was listed above, he didn't care for the school aspect (or there was some pressing need to try to earn asap that we don't know about).
I never blame ANYONE for getting paid for their trade. My opinion is he would have been well served playing defensive end in the Tampa 2 for a year, racking up a better year statistically and developing more physically, and possibly moved into a round 2/3 guy. Round 2/3 guys are hard to cut for coaches/GMS as it puts egg squarely on their face. Round 6/7 guys, not so much.

Wish RT the absolute best, and will be pulling for him; but, I think he heightened his risk of never getting paid to play football by leaving a bit too soon. Hope he beats the odds...

Zcuse said:
Shafer was his coach for the whole time. That 3rd different coach stuff seems like kind of a made-up reason. When a defensive coordinator, who likes the player, gets promoted to head coach, it's good for the player. My guess is (from a distance, not knowing him at all), as was listed above, he didn't care for the school aspect (or there was some pressing need to try to earn asap that we don't know about). I never blame ANYONE for getting paid for their trade. My opinion is he would have been well served playing defensive end in the Tampa 2 for a year, racking up a better year statistically and developing more physically, and possibly moved into a round 2/3 guy. Round 2/3 guys are hard to cut for coaches/GMS as it puts egg squarely on their face. Round 6/7 guys, not so much. Wish RT the absolute best, and will be pulling for him; but, I think he heightened his risk of never getting paid to play football by leaving a bit too soon. Hope he beats the odds...

As always - our ability to judge a decision with 1/10th the info is pretty impossible. It's his choice, hope for the best, root for the guys here.

Shafer was his coach for the whole time. That 3rd different coach stuff seems like kind of a made-up reason. When a defensive coordinator, who likes the player, gets promoted to head coach, it's good for the player.
He missed his true frosh season (2012) because of hip surgery and moved to the defense in 2013.

Shafer was his coach for the whole time. That 3rd different coach stuff seems like kind of a made-up reason. When a defensive coordinator, who likes the player, gets promoted to head coach, it's good for the player. My guess is (from a distance, not knowing him at all), as was listed above, he didn't care for the school aspect (or there was some pressing need to try to earn asap that we don't know about).

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...he_wouldve_stayed_if_scott_shafers_staff.html

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb..._at_syracuse_de_ron_thompson_chasing_nfl.html

The Size of our whole Offensive tackle group has got to be one of the largest in college football...The Fucillo line.....huge

sutomcat said:
If you think Samuels is a better player than Clark, you are watching a different game than I am. I guess we will find out who is better in September.

Wow, 10 likes already on a this guy is better than that guy post. Sounds like there's definitely a little bit of dad-posts-here-itis on the board.

Don't think Dino and staff are playing head games but there's a lot of practice left before this depth chart means anything. And both of them will play a lot. We'll need 4 DTs ready to get material minutes each game.

Did you guys notice the size & weight of our offensive line both 1st & 2nd team? Am I mistaken or is this the biggest line we've had in a long time? I remember having field passes when we played Penn State when they were last in the Dome and we looked like boys compared to them. I know these are Shafer recruits but we did get bigger in my opinion. Size matters! ;)

It's going to be going the other way in the coming years.

Lots of pressure on Pickard to perform. We can't afford for him to not be up to the task.

We also need Sherrod to come in and basically be a difference maker, which is no sure thing.

Those two things happening would go a LONG way toward shoring up this key position. From there, we also need Ruff and at least one frosh--probably two--to emerge as a reasonably solid platoon. I'd kill to have Simmons or Thompson back.
Sherrod was probably the best defensive player on an awful 1AA team...not sure how much he will contribute.

Sherrod was probably the best defensive player on an awful 1AA team...not sure how much he will contribute.

I think he will start and wind up being the best DE next year. He had an outside shot of being drafted this year from what I remember seeing

Wow, 10 likes already on a this guy is better than that guy post. Sounds like there's definitely a little bit of dad-posts-here-itis on the board.

Don't think Dino and staff are playing head games but there's a lot of practice left before this depth chart means anything. And both of them will play a lot. We'll need 4 DTs ready to get material minutes each game.
Or maybe those 10 people agree with the statement. Why are people so fast to throw the "his dad post here" card? We are all allowed to watch the film we have seen and make our own observations and choose to post what we want no matter whose parents post. :noidea:

He was the FCS leader in TFL. I don't care how awful your team is, that's still pretty darn good. Does it translate to D1, only time will tell that. I have a feeling he will be solid for us.
Final stats for 11 games: 64 total tackles, 25 Tackles for Loss, 8 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumbles recovered, and 4 Blocked Kicks

He was the FCS leader in TFL. I don't care how awful your team is, that's still pretty darn good. Does it translate to D1, only time will tell that. I have a feeling he will be solid for us.
Final stats for 11 games: 64 total tackles, 25 Tackles for Loss, 8 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumbles recovered, and 4 Blocked Kicks
We can only hope we can get half that production...

Chip said:
Wow, 10 likes already on a this guy is better than that guy post. Sounds like there's definitely a little bit of dad-posts-here-itis on the board. Don't think Dino and staff are playing head games but there's a lot of practice left before this depth chart means anything. And both of them will play a lot. We'll need 4 DTs ready to get material minutes each game.

Or we-saw-him-throw-multiple-players-run-twenty-yards-and-destroy-a-shifty-running-back-itis.

I think he will start and wind up being the best DE next year. He had an outside shot of being drafted this year from what I remember seeing
I know Bruce Irvin was a JUCO kid but I'm hoping Sherrod situation ends up a lot like his.

Or maybe those 10 people agree with the statement. Why are people so fast to throw the "his dad post here" card? We are all allowed to watch the film we have seen and make our own observations and choose to post what we want no matter whose parents post. :noidea:

If Samuels' Dad posted here, it wouldn't have had 10 likes in 30 seconds.

I'm not bashing Tom for the post either. He calls them like he sees them, which we all know and love.

I hope all the DTs are unmovable objects this year.

What do you mean? Clark is good but lets not get crazy because his father posts here.
Samuels was not good last year, he needs to get stronger, he was run over many times last year.

Samuels in front of Clark is interesting. I wonder what that is supposed to accomplish?

Maybe I am crazy but I thought Cordy played strong safety in the spring game, with Williams at free safety.

Thought Bennett was our SAM. Interesting to see him listed at WILL.

Strange things are afoot at the Baber K.

With uptempo offense have to believe there will be alternating shifts of DL

Still surprised by starting OTs.

Pleased with length of both but surprised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom