2018 Fall Camp: Practice #18 Wed. August 22 | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Fall Camp: Practice #18 Wed. August 22

OMG! Quarterback controversy! So intense!

Everyone who is paying attention knows who the starter is. Everyone who isn't paying attention knows who the starter is. The only ones freaking out are the ones trying to invent a controversy. Hilarious that Bailey stirs this up and Mink gets a trip to Oregon out of it.

I’m sure dungey is pissed. Hopefully going to take it out on wmu

OMG! Quarterback controversy! So intense!

Everyone who is paying attention knows who the starter is. Everyone who isn't paying attention knows who the starter is. The only ones freaking out are the ones trying to invent a controversy. Hilarious that Bailey stirs this up and Mink gets a trip to Oregon out of it.
You said exactly what I've been thinking since last year. So tired of Bailey's pining for Devito

Not to add to the raging fires of speculation, but I wonder what Fitzroy Gardener’s situation is right now.

Last edited:
You like Howard? I know his numbers aren't bad , but geez, all his points are dunks and put backs.
Not really, but you have to respect the man he was a beast!

You said exactly what I've been thinking since last year. So tired of Bailey's pining for Devito
I give Bailey the benefit of the doubt, our past two 4-8 seasons partially caused by Dungey’s injuries have been numbing in expectations/positive future outlook.

By all accounts Devito’s the better arm talent, and as Whigham said on The Block last night, a lot of young receivers prefer Tommy.

We all know Dungey’s the number 1. We all live and die with Dungey. But honestly if these two each came in together as freshmen, I don’t know if Dungey would be the guy.

Dungey’s earned where he’s at and he’s our guy. Tommy’s patiently waiting in line. lets be excited about legitimate, palpable competition at the position. Let’s also cherish this last year with Dungey, as he’s truly special and has a lot of talent you do not see elsewhere on the team or in college football.

Really? As if the paper and the coaching staff doesn't want it spun that there is a competition for starter at QB. Not to mention how many of you are just dying to see DeVito play. :rolleyes:
I can appreciate the fact that Bailey has to be concerned with selling clicks and there is virtually no info coming out of the program, and practically no fan engagement in terms of actual player or team interest. Both are intentional choices made by people with power over the situation and a real stake in the outcome.

Just cause I'm a farm boy don't mean I have to like the smell of s#*t.

a lot of young receivers prefer Tommy.
tenor (7).gif

I am a Dungy supporter and would be happy with him as our starter but, personally, I'd very much like to see DeVito get a series a game, if possible (obviously lots of situational variables game to game in that statement and im expecting him to play a lot in the second half against Wagner). I think it would be a very good for the team and for Devito if he could get some reps in against WMU, Wagner, FSU and UCONN to start the season. IMO there should be some nice opportunities in there for him to contribute and grow.

I am a Dungy supporter and would be happy with him as our starter but, personally, I'd very much like to see DeVito get a series a game, if possible (obviously lots of situational variables game to game in that statement and im expecting him to play a lot in the second half against Wagner). I think it would be a very good for the team and for Devito if he could get some reps in against WMU, Wagner, FSU and UCONN to start the season. IMO there should be some nice opportunities in there for him to contribute and grow.
I think Whigham said it best - Dungey is the QB Dino has to play and Devito is the QB Dino can't wait to play.

Dungey is no doubt the starter. But my unpopular, fearless prediction - Dino will look to give Devito the reigns as soon as he can without losing the locker room. I think if Dungey gets hurt and has to sit out a few games, and Devito does what Dino thinks he will while Dungey is out, that Dino will stick with Devito - basically a Bledsoe/Brady situation. I think if Dungey puts up another stinker like Miami, Dino will be willing to pull Dungey if Devito has shown prior success.

Dungey has been the guy and has earned the right to be the starter. He's been an absolutely flawless ambassador and representative for the school and is the benchmark for toughness, commitment, and competitiveness. He has the fierce and loyal devotion of many, and it is well earned.

But the problem is that he's not a particularly skilled QB, and he is particularly ill suited for what Dino is trying to do. Dino's system prioritizes accuracy and quick decision making. Dungey has consistently struggled with accuracy and continues to make bad decisions - he doesn't consistently go through his progressions, is too quick to leave the pocket and run, and once running is a reckless runner.

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. Dungey has benefitted tremendously from the appalling lack of QB talent before him (Hunt) and with him on the depth chart. He's been insanely valuable to Syracuse because he is a decent QB, and there has been a massive gap between decent and the other options Syracuse has had. Dino's system allows him to put up huge counting stats while the typical fan and media member ignores efficiency.

I think Devito is good, maybe even really good, and more importantly, has the attributes that makes Dino's system hum along. Right now the difference between decent and good isn't enough to justify the waves such a move would make in the locker room. But I genuinely believe as soon as Dino thinks he can get Devito in there without causing a massive distraction, he will do it.

I think Whigham said it best - Dungey is the QB Dino has to play and Devito is the QB Dino can't wait to play.

Dungey is no doubt the starter. But my unpopular, fearless prediction - Dino will look to give Devito the reigns as soon as he can without losing the locker room. I think if Dungey gets hurt and has to sit out a few games, and Devito does what Dino thinks he will while Dungey is out, that Dino will stick with Devito - basically a Bledsoe/Brady situation. I think if Dungey puts up another stinker like Miami, Dino will be willing to pull Dungey if Devito has shown prior success.

Dungey has been the guy and has earned the right to be the starter. He's been an absolutely flawless ambassador and representative for the school and is the benchmark for toughness, commitment, and competitiveness. He has the fierce and loyal devotion of many, and it is well earned.

But the problem is that he's not a particularly skilled QB, and he is particularly ill suited for what Dino is trying to do. Dino's system prioritizes accuracy and quick decision making. Dungey has consistently struggled with accuracy and continues to make bad decisions - he doesn't consistently go through his progressions, is too quick to leave the pocket and run, and once running is a reckless runner.

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. Dungey has benefitted tremendously from the appalling lack of QB talent before him (Hunt) and with him on the depth chart. He's been insanely valuable to Syracuse because he is a decent QB, and there has been a massive gap between decent and the other options Syracuse has had. Dino's system allows him to put up huge counting stats while the typical fan and media member ignores efficiency.

I think Devito is good, maybe even really good, and more importantly, has the attributes that makes Dino's system hum along. Right now the difference between decent and good isn't enough to justify the waves such a move would make in the locker room. But I genuinely believe as soon as Dino thinks he can get Devito in there without causing a massive distraction, he will do it.

Great post. I agree in broad strokes. Although, I think you’re underrating Babers affinity for all of the things Dungey *does* bring. I hope TD has a lot of those same qualities, and Babers has a better idea on that than any of us - But I think he shares the respect that the team has for Eric more than your post reflects.

In other words... If he thought Eric couldn’t win and TD could - he’d make the switch, locker room be damned.

ED and TD are both capable of winning - and that’s goooood.

This is exactly what I think of the situation. I love everything about Dungey, but he is not the ideal QB for this system . That is TD. It’s just impossible to start TD in front of him

Generally speaking I agree. The one very important thing that Devito is missing though is experience. Dungey has been through the fire againts the nation's best teams in some of the most hostile enviornments in college football. That goes a long way, and is all the more reason, IMHO, that Devito should get some snaps/series in these early games.

It definitely is that point of the year where we have waited months for the season and are stir crazy... here we are debating on who the starting QB is (when we all know who it actually will be) or if a Rfr. should take snaps, etc. ... this board needs the season to start for our own sanity lol

Great post. I agree in broad strokes. Although, I think you’re underrating Babers affinity for all of the things Dungey *does* bring. I hope TD has a lot of those same qualities, and Babers has a better idea on that than any of us - But I think he shares the respect that the team has for Eric more than your post reflects.

In other words... If he thought Eric couldn’t win and TD could - he’d make the switch, locker room be damned.

ED and TD are both capable of winning - and that’s goooood.

I love Dungey. Is he perfect, No. I do agree that going through his progressions is not a strength of his. That is the one area I think he struggles. In his defense I think he has not had a ton of help as far as receivers go in his time on the hill and for the past couple years he has also had had one receiver who was clearly the best of the bunch. That probably has contributed a bit to this weakness in that area.

I don't really understand the accuracy issues that people bring up. I rarely remember watching games thinking man he is just missing his targets. I'm sure he has missed one here and there but come on. He is a college QB not super man. Do people watch other football games? No QB is always on the money without ever missing somebody. Maybe his accuracy is not amazing but I would not consider it a weakness. Did you ever have the feeling at the end of the game we lost because of Dungey's accuracy? When?

I don't think Dungey is the thing holding back this offense. He is a very good QB. He has perfect size. He has the heart of a champion. He is a fearless leader. He is an extremely dynamic runner. He has excellent pocket awareness and escapability. When he does leave the pocket he is electric and is almost always been a good thing. He is a warrior.

Could Devito be even better than Dungey once he gets some good game experience? I deffinitely think its possible. He may have excellent accuracy, an even stronger arm and may go through his progressions better. All things that would be fantastic in this offense when his time comes. And I expect everyone to eventually think he is better than Dungey after Devito finishes up his time at SU. An improved group of skill players will certainly help with that. But I seriously doubt Babers is sitting there thinking I can't wait for the opportunity to take Dungey out and put Devito in. However I am sure he is extremely happy he has him waiting in the wings when NEEDED.

Probably because they came in with DeVito or after him and they identify with him as their QB.
Its all speculation outside the huddle when considering that and the arm talent.