2018 roster management | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2018 roster management

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I'm saying the staff has soured on the idea of bringing in a grad transfer.
And you are certain their position will not change in the aftermath of Moyer and Bazley defecting? Have you been privy to any discussions that have taken place regarding how they plan to address these departures?

So you're saying it would be impossible to find a grad transfer willing to be a role player on a potential ACC and national championship contender?

What consistutes being a national championship contender?

And you are certain their position will not change in the aftermath of Moyer and Bazley defecting? Have you been privy to any discussions that have taken place regarding how they plan to address these departures?
I think we are all in agreement here that we would take a 5th year guy. It's the staff that has soured on them. And I don't get it. We were willing to bring in a guy that was only going to be here one year in Bazley. A guy that it has been reported is sort of a me first guy. I'm not saying that. I didn't see that in him in the Mickey Dees game that I wasted my time watching. But that is out there. My information is post Bazley news. I am hoping that on further reflection, Jb changes his mind. Or some kid changes it for him. The thing is, a number of us are hearing this and from different places up at Syracuse. Once again, why leave yourself short handed if you don't have to?

What consistutes being a national championship contender?
The roster, as it stands now and assuming full health for all who are expected to return, could certainly compete for a top 3 or 4 spot in the ACC and something in the range of a 3 to 5 seed in the NCAAT. That would make them a contender.

I think we are all in agreement here that we would take a 5th year guy. It's the staff that has soured on them. And I don't get it. We were willing to bring in a guy that was only going to be here one year in Bazley. A guy that it has been reported is sort of a me first guy. I'm not saying that. I didn't see that in him in the Mickey Dees game that I wasted my time watching. But that is out there. My information is post Bazley news. I am hoping that on further reflection, Jb changes his mind. Or some kid changes it for him. The thing is, a number of us are hearing this and from different places up at Syracuse. Once again, why leave yourself short handed if you don't have to?
And once again, why assume whatever you're hearing is written in stone, when the dust has barely settled? You may well be proven right on all this in the end, but for now it seems a lot of people here are just blowing hot air and pursuing various agendas.

No, I'm not certain. Things can always change. As I said above, I've heard they don't think the current options are worth a spot on the roster. That is post-defections. Privy to discussions? I don't have Extendable Ears at the Melo Center. Just telling you what I've heard second-hand. It doesn't make sense to me.

The roster, as it stands now and assuming full health for all who are expected to return, could certainly compete for a top 3 or 4 spot in the ACC and something in the range of a 3 to 5 seed in the NCAAT. That would make them a contender.

If you're including Tyus Battle in the "expected to return" that's a long reach.

If you're including Tyus Battle in the "expected to return" that's a long reach.
I'm in no way including Battle.

No, I'm not certain. Things can always change. As I said above, I've heard they don't think the current options are worth a spot on the roster. That is post-defections. Privy to discussions? I don't have Extendable Ears at the Melo Center. Just telling you what I've heard second-hand. It doesn't make sense to me.
Sometimes there's a reason things don't make sense. (How am I doing with the cryptic statements?)

I don't have Extendable Ears at the Melo Center. Just telling you what I've heard second-hand. It doesn't make sense to me.
The visual of go go gadget ears is fantastic, b-t-dubs.

Just a thought- does Boeheim's reported contentment mean that he knows battle is coming back? That would give us 7 guys from a Sweet 16 team, including all 5 starters plus three good prospects coming in. it would still be nice to have a third forward or a back up center but JB has always said he doesn't want much more than 10 guys because beyond that they might not play and become disgruntled and create problems. (of course we've found you don't have to be n 11th or 12th guy to create problems.) Maybe he figures Hughes can play the 3.

And once again, why assume whatever you're hearing is written in stone, when the dust has barely settled? You may well be proven right on all this in the end, but for now it seems a lot of people here are just blowing hot air and pursuing various agendas.
Internet forum. Sports fan internet forum.

It's all speculation and auguring from hints and hearsay of what is happening behind the blue curtain. I can totally see that the staff isn't interested in a 5th year. AWIII and Gillon were terrific offensive players, but they were poor to mediocre on defense. That's a non-starter for JAB. Maybe if they had two years in the system they could have been better, but 5th years don't get that luxury. Geno had his own issues, and none endearing to the staff.

A 5th year not expecting starting minutes who could be a 3rd center and 3rd forward for 20 mpg? I'm sure the staff would love to have one, but whomever that might be is probably not very good at zone defense. And in low possession games, JAB is loathe to give up a single possession to a less than capable player.

For me, this coming team with all returning minus Battle is still an above-average to good team. IMO, 2019-20 though could get real dicey - they need an influx of talent and the sooner the better.

Internet forum. Sports fan internet forum.

It's all speculation and auguring from hints and hearsay of what is happening behind the blue curtain. I can totally see that the staff isn't interested in a 5th year. AWIII and Gillon were terrific offensive players, but they were poor to mediocre on defense. That's a non-starter for JAB. Maybe if they had two years in the system they could have been better, but 5th years don't get that luxury. Geno had his own issues, and none endearing to the staff.

A 5th year not expecting starting minutes who could be a 3rd center and 3rd forward for 20 mpg? I'm sure the staff would love to have one, but whomever that might be is probably not very good at zone defense. And in low possession games, JAB is loathe to give up a single possession to a less than capable player.

For me, this coming team with all returning minus Battle is still an above-average to good team. IMO, 2019-20 though could get real dicey - they need an influx of talent and the sooner the better.
Maybe I should have said "blowing more hot air than usual."

But your points above are well taken.

I'm in no way including Battle.

So we had a very weak ACC schedule and lose head above shoulders our best player and our only F depth and we go from bubble to national championship contender?

You don't believe that do you?

We’re a .500 ACC team since we’ve joined. As successful as we were in the big east, that is ancient history from a different era so why is that relevant? Recruits don’t care about body of work. They care about the here and now, the trends, the whispers, and perceptions.

We were 14-4 our first year.

So we had a very weak ACC schedule and lose head above shoulders our best player and our only depth and we go from bubble to national championship contender?

All the bigs will be a year older and stronger and more polished offensively and presumably even better in the zone from the jump. Frank should also take a step forward. The new faces will more than replace Battle collectively, IMO (and I loved Battle). So yes, I reasonably expect this team to be better than the banged up, no margin for error group that nearly advanced to the Elite 8. And I also expect JB to add at least one other piece to the roster.

Not with a scholarship limit it isn't.
Really, that's the story you're running with? If you're waiting for a full roster that uses all the scholarships, you might need a time machine.

I don't get your comment at all. No one here that has said that we are not going after another player is in agreement with that strategy. No one. Not me for sure. Or Alsacs or Iommi. We are just repeating what we have been told. Could something change? Of course. We all hope something changes. But what agenda are you talking about? If you don't want what information any of us gets, that can certainly be arranged.

I think part of the issue is that we recruit so specifically. It's hard to take guys that really fit our system...and it can piss off the players already here.

Imho...the staff would consider White a success, Thorpe a failure and Gillon a push.

However NONE of them were system fits...and certainly neither Gillon or Thorpe would have been recruited even if they played HS in CNY.

I think it would take a system fit and a good enough player for the staff to take someone this year. I don't think they see anyone that fits the bill.

I don't get your comment at all. No one here that has said that we are not going after another player is in agreement with that strategy. No one. Not me for sure. Or Alsacs or Iommi. We are just repeating what we have been told. Could something change? Of course. We all hope something changes. But what agenda are you talking about? If you don't want what information any of us gets, that can certainly be arranged.
I think my first sentence expresses my thoughts quite clearly and isn't hard to understand. The second sentence is my opinion and I'll stand by it.

We were 14-4 our first year.

An honest question, without any motive, agenda, etc. Does that first year qualify or meet the definition of outlier? Just asking.

So we had a very weak ACC schedule and lose head above shoulders our best player and our only depth and we go from bubble to national championship contender?

Well, we haven't lost our best player yet but count me in the group that thinks we are going to be very good next year. Everyone up front is back (I don't count Moyer). And we have our pt guard back plus a talented wing that sat out last year. Plus another talented guard. As for our schedule, I may be wrong but don't we play Pitt and B.C. twice every year? Sub out Virginia and Wake Forrest for two other teams and that might very well be a wash. We aren't going to roll over teams. But this looks to me like a team that can win a lot of games like the way we just played 4 NCAA tournament games. I believe this team was a lot better team at the end of the year than it was at the start of the year. And that difference was the difference between close losses and close wins. I think we will grind out more wins next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom