2018 roster management | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2018 roster management

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are dangerously thin. One rolled ankle in the forward position for having no backup. On top of that, we already have a ton of spots open for 2019. It's beyond making it hard on ourselves. It's stupid.
Come on, we learned this season that you don't need a bench. Guys can play 40 minutes and make a Sweet 16 run. That's what we learned.

Sidibe being healthy might explain why we aren't targeting a center. That shouldn't have anything to do with the forward position.
Brissett’s likely playing 32+ mins a game regardless of whether or not we add a four. Im not all that convince Sidibe cant slide to the 4 for 5 mins to give marek a breather.

Pretty obvious who that comment was for. Welcome to the thread you and Alsacs are doing a great civic duty for all of us. No one here should have any faith.

It was a response to anyone who thinks not adding another forward is smart. That included the avalanche of all-is-well post in the Bazley decommit thread (that I purposely didn't make one post in). I wanted to first see how things shook out. If we don't add another forward, it is as dumb a decision as possible.

There is a major problem with Syracuse basketball that the two recent post-season runs have masked.

Last edited:
Were you advised of this prior to this week's sudden Moyer and out of left field Bazley departures? I guess, even if you were, and how this now may change things, we are certainly likely behind the 8 ball trying to make some 11th hour pitch. :(
I have been told by multiple people in the last 12 hours we have no plan to add anyone after Bazley decommited.

Brissett’s likely playing 32+ mins a game regardless of whether or not we add a four. Im not all that convince Sidibe cant slide to the 4 for 5 mins to give marek a breather.

I'm a huge Sidibe believer and saw him play the 4 in high school in a 2-3 zone but with Paschal our only other center, do you really want him spread that thin? Do you really want him playing the 4 on both ends. We absolutely have to get another 4.

People have blinders on. All is well to these people. Imagine if Marek decides to take a pro contract in Europe. Right now we have a 6'6" guy as our only backup at forward and literally no backups at the 4. Great.
Imagine if Marek leaves? Don't you and Alsacs and all the other insiders already know what he's planning to do?

Imagine if Mark leaves? Don't you and Alsacs and all the other insiders already know what he's planning to do?
I am no insider.
I have a source in the AD and people on here who are insiders.

What I said was told to me by more than 2 posters on this board you would you trust.

I'm a huge Sidibe believer and saw him play the 4 in high school in a 2-3 zone but with Paschal our only other center, do you really want him spread that thin? Do you really want him playing the 4 on both ends. We absolutely have to get another 4.
Im more worried about how bad of a position this puts us in if Chukwu and Sidibe dont improve their fouling issues. I’d be fine with sidibe taking 15 mins at the 5 and 4-7 at the 4. But if they foul out we’re screwed. I agree, another forward would only be logical.

I am no insider.

What I said was told to me by more than 2 posters on this board you would you trust.
Even people who I would generally trust can get it wrong, simply because these situations are fluid.

I have been told by multiple people in the last 12 hours we have no plan to add anyone after Bazley decommited.

Hopefully the coaches, who were as blindsided by this as the fanbase was, will reconsider in light of changed circumstances.

It makes sense that they weren't really recruiting for 2018 anymore PRIOR to Bazley flaking, but they're probably going to take a step back and try to evaluate options now. "Not having plans to..." Can shift awfully fast.

Leave no stone unturned.

What is the possible downside to landing a guy like Porter?????

Maybe a better question is - does wildhack still have that rosy outlook?

Imagine if Mark leaves? Don't you and Alsacs and all the other insiders already know what he's planning to do?

1) I've never labeled myself an insider. You can consider the value of my thousands of posts and decide whether I know my stuff or not. Unlike some people I don't make ludicrous claims to literally be at closed practices at the Melo Center and/ or that I am friends with JB.

2) I do know Marek is planning on coming back right now. However, it is certainly possible that he goes back home and his mind is changed by a pro offer.

3) I assume that was your attempt at sarcasm. Hysterical.

I am no insider.

Must be the only 2 posters I know of here who actually talk to coaches.

Hopefully the coaches, who were as blindsided by this as the fanbase was, will reconsider in light of changed circumstances.

It makes sense that they weren't really recruiting for 2018 anymore PRIOR to Bazley flaking, but they're probably going to take a step back and try to evaluate options now. "Not having plans to..." Can shift awfully fast.

Leave no stone unturned.

Yep. We were fine a week ago. Not so much now. I’m sure they’ll make inquiries but I’m also sure they’ll not take on a player just to say they did knowing said player will never leave the bench.

Pretty obvious who that comment was for. Welcome to the thread you and Alsacs are doing a great civic duty for all of us. No one here should have any faith.
If people had heard better news to share (Like we are going after 3 more players ), you would be liking every post they made and be on board with everything they are saying. Because it’s not what you want to hear , you say there is no faith. I’d rather hear the truth than what I would like to hear. It frankly sucks sometimes. That’s how It goes. Plus, things can always change.

People have blinders on. All is well to these people. Imagine if Marek decides to take a pro contract in Europe. Right now we have a 6'6" guy as our only backup at forward and literally no backups at the 4. Great.

IMO, we have 2 guys that can play the 4 and 3 that can play the 3. And a 6’6 SF isn’t that unusual. I’m not gonna go check but I bet a lot of teams play a 6’6 guy at the 3. Plus, it’s only a defensive question because the 2 and 3 are the same in our offense.

I’d take a bet that we add at least 1 player not on the roster at this point!

Leave no stone unturned.
That's sort of what I was getting at in post #5. I should know better by now and just stopped there.

lot of teams play a 6’6 guy at the 3. Plus, it’s only a defensive question
Defense is half the game. JB does not have a good track record when players are forced to play out of position on d.

Defense is half the game.

I know that. Duh. That’s why I said it’s a defensive question about Hughes. 2/3 doesn’t matter on offense.

Where’s that response when discussing the skills of individual players?

IMO, we have 2 guys that can play the 4 and 3 that can play the 3. And a 6’6 SF isn’t that unusual. I’m not gonna go check but I bet a lot of teams play a 6’6 guy at the 3. Plus, it’s only a defensive question because the 2 and 3 are the same in our offense.

Of course but this year we had Tyus, who is a hair under 6'7" and a physical specimen and he struggled at the 3 on defense, in particular on the boards. We are not "a lot of teams." We rely on both of our forwards to defend and rebound out of the zone because our coach only plays one defense.

Could Hughes play the 3? I think with so many 2's on our roster and only 2 other forwards, he's going to have to.

If alsacs and iommi had heard better news to share (Like we are going after 3 more players ), you would be liking every post they made and be on board with everything they are saying. Because it’s not what you want to hear , you say there is no faith. I’d rather hear the truth than what I would like to hear. It frankly sucks sometimes. That’s how It goes. Plus, things can always change.

I don’t want us going after 3 dudes who aren’t worthy of playing at Syracuse just for the sake of it. That would satisfy some naive posters here though. I’m not freaking out because like you said, things can change. And I trust the staff knows what they’re doing. (Imagine that)

The tone of their posts, and the reason I take exception, is the sense of panic. Or that having faith that things will work out means that I have blinders on. The season just ended a week ago, and we got some bad news 24 hours ago. I’m not going to freak out over this just yet.

I’m young but old enough enough to know the program will survive and thrive despite this kind of adversity. Seen it plenty before. Losing a stud player hurts, but one player isn’t going to bring down a program like Syracuse. Not even close.

Yep. We were fine a week ago. Not so much now. I’m sure they’ll make inquiries but I’m also sure they’ll not take on a player just to say they did knowing said player will never leave the bench.

Big concern is the numbers. If we roll with a roster of 9 and we have another defection (or two) or injury... To paraphrase the great philosopher Mystic Mac McGregor: we are fooked.

Of course but this year we had Tyus, who is a hair under 6'7" and a physical specimen and he struggled at the 3 on defense, in particular on the boards. We are not "a lot of teams." We rely on both of our forwards to defend and rebound out of the zone because our coach only plays one defense.

Could Hughes play the 3? I think with so many 2's on our roster and only 2 other forwards, he's going to have to.

Battle to me is more a finesse player. Hughes is very aggressive according to those who have seen practices and I believe a coach said the same in an interview. I agree it’s not optimal but I also felt like he’d get a few minutes there even with Bazley. I’m on record in another thread as saying my druthers are we bring in a 6’9 240 bruising PF and a defensive minded SF. So I’m on board with the wanting of more depth at the forward spots. I just don’t feel it’s at the desperation point like this thread intimated. Now if Brissett doesn’t come back or we endure injuries it’s another story. Injury is the biggest reason for at least 1 more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom