2020 Transfer Thread | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

Finally saw clips of Betrand. Many parallels in game and size to ONeill .
He is obviously more experienced and seasoned. Betrand or Holden would elevate any attack unit.

Duke and Maryland have geared up and look to have present edge. Just sayin

Forgot about Princeton's Robertson, he's a good attackman Just not sure where he'd fit at Duke given their surplus at position including his brother .. A inquiring call to Rapine might make sense for us. This list changes if some Cornell kids enter. Teat, Salvatore, Fletcher, Telesco

Fernandez is objectively better than at least half of these guys and he doesn't make the top 40? Almost gives me hope that he quietly took his name out of the portal, but far more likely to be ignorance on their part.
He should have made list. Clary and Page be fine

Fernandez is objectively better than at least half of these guys and he doesn't make the top 40? Almost gives me hope that he quietly took his name out of the portal, but far more likely to be ignorance on their part.
This article about Grad Transfers. Fernandez is a rising senior. Still hopeful that he returns.

He should have made list. Clary and Page be fine
Agree with you on Fernandez. Strang should also be on list but visibility lower as backup.

Player rankings are always fun to look at but have all the apples/oranges problems of strength of schedule, huge talent differential among conferences etc. I do think that everyone in IL's top 20 is a solid addition.

Forgot about Princeton's Robertson, he's a good attackman Just not sure where he'd fit at Duke given their surplus at position including his brother .. A inquiring call to Rapine might make sense for us. This list changes if some Cornell kids enter. Teat, Salvatore, Fletcher, Telesco

Duke already has the 7 player on this list, the FOGO O'Connell coming in as well with Sowers. Wonder how many players they will allow themselves to bring in. There is also a high level goalie in Adler available and they have a hole at that position. At some point though you have think they can only take in so many new players? Maybe not.

I am curious if a few teams take on a lot of transfers, or if they will be more spread out. A team like Hopkins has a lot of holes, so maybe they load up? Keep Morrill and Cotler together? Would be pretty ironic I guess for Hopkins to benefit from all this, seeing as they played a clearly banged up Epstein and didn't lose any eligibility from that.

Interesting to read that most teams are trying to get Holden to play midfield. I really like Bertrand but SU will have two left handers expecting to play at attack next year in Hiltz and Rhefuss. If your Desko how strong can your pitch be with so many returners on offense? "Please come to Syracuse, but you'll have to beat out established guys to get on the field in your one and only year here." Maybe the prospect of playing on Final Four weekend is enough.

I don't mean to complain about this, but its kind of interesting to see so many players that, in any other year SU would probably have a good chance of landing, Holden is familiar with the area, as was Griffin Brown, Sundown has the Native connection and Bertrand is a local kid. Seems frustrating to let those connections go to waste.

Not a lot of defenseman on the list and I am pretty sure Gallagher stated he would go back to Penn if they allowed 5th years to come back. Like IT stated that would change if the Cornell guys became available as Salvatore would be a big pickup.

If you had space for only one transfer in your Syracuse lacrosse budget, would you take a defensive player like Salvatore or an offensive player like Teat?

Im sure Hiltz is talented rook but he's not established at this level .His readiness remains to be seen. Both Holden and Bertrand are established top tier talents whose impact and production can be penciled in , also bring experience and greater strength as physically mature players .As far as Cornell question, variables to consider so either be my copout answer

Duke already has the 7 player on this list, the FOGO O'Connell coming in as well with Sowers. Wonder how many players they will allow themselves to bring in. There is also a high level goalie in Adler available and they have a hole at that position. At some point though you have think they can only take in so many new players? Maybe not.

I am curious if a few teams take on a lot of transfers, or if they will be more spread out. A team like Hopkins has a lot of holes, so maybe they load up? Keep Morrill and Cotler together? Would be pretty ironic I guess for Hopkins to benefit from all this, seeing as they played a clearly banged up Epstein and didn't lose any eligibility from that.

Interesting to read that most teams are trying to get Holden to play midfield. I really like Bertrand but SU will have two left handers expecting to play at attack next year in Hiltz and Rhefuss. If your Desko how strong can your pitch be with so many returners on offense? "Please come to Syracuse, but you'll have to beat out established guys to get on the field in your one and only year here." Maybe the prospect of playing on Final Four weekend is enough.

I don't mean to complain about this, but its kind of interesting to see so many players that, in any other year SU would probably have a good chance of landing, Holden is familiar with the area, as was Griffin Brown, Sundown has the Native connection and Bertrand is a local kid. Seems frustrating to let those connections go to waste.

Not a lot of defenseman on the list and I am pretty sure Gallagher stated he would go back to Penn if they allowed 5th years to come back. Like IT stated that would change if the Cornell guys became available as Salvatore would be a big pickup.

If you had space for only one transfer in your Syracuse lacrosse budget, would you take a defensive player like Salvatore or an offensive player like Teat?

I would definitely take a PROVEN stud defensive player over most offensive options - while we can always beef up our attack, trying to minimize the damage by the high powered offenses of Duke, UNC and UVA seems to make the most sense. If you look at some of the most recent prolific offensive teams (Penn State and Cornell), their achilles heel was primarily defense and to a lesser extent goalie play. Having said that, I would love to see Teat in a Cuse jersey and his impact could be huge.

The portal is a arms race right now and securing another weapon is tempting

Sowers going to Duke hurt bigly (sorry, been wanting to use that adverb lol)

Brown going to Maryland has made them deeper and stronger

JHU could be getting some top imports .

Dread UNC getting their hands on another missile .

Good post, been meaning to reply but just haven't had the time I need. Your point is 100% correct about SU and the lack of room for an attackmen. Rehfuss returning was really good news but from what I heard it all but shut the door on a big time attack transfer due to the inability to offer significant PT. There is no room to move anyone to midfield (Scanlan) and the team expects Hiltz to push for PT from Day 1 and in fact may be even start, the hype has reached that level. As you noted its ironic in that any other year SU would be all over multiple players but with how the roster has broken down and with Corona the spots simply aren't there.

Before Hiltz switched from Denver to Syracuse, the Culver and Denver coaches saw him as a future freshman star with talent comparable to Ethan Walker, a Culver alum. Time will tell.

Think IVY grads at any position are not likely to land at Cuse despite our various grad programs being very good. I could argue for them but simply may not be as prestigious a degree as others

Ward is older but he's an inexperienced lsm and rather average, Cuse be better going with our two athletic sophs (rs frosh) who have had a full year practicing agaisnt our 1st line mids.

The obvious option is to have one of the games best lsm's move back to lsm if a strong cd is found. Rapine is another hypothetical but he is one of the more established defenders presently in portal

Hesitant to call our attack stacked, possess a number of competent attackman but not going to assume a frosh who hasn't had a single college practice will raise the unit to match the high profile attacks of ACC . More high profile incomers take time to adjust than hit the ground running so Ill play the percentages and put Hiltz and Birtwhistle into the column of developing talents with high upsides rather than the column of established top talents such as Holden, Betrand and Brown.

Attack unit right now is Scanlan, Refhuss, Cook with good depth behind that includes some bright futures. Id still consider a one year addition

If you had to rank the current projected starting attack units in the ACC, where would the orange be? Is it reasonable to assume the top 3? Anyone care to weigh in?

If you had to rank the current projected starting attack units in the ACC, where would the orange be? Is it reasonable to assume the top 3? Anyone care to weigh in?

2020 Attack Stats with some notes... different schedules . Expect Duke attack production to rise significantly in 2021.

UNC ...67g- 57 a- 124 points in 7 games, 17.7 pts per. Leader Gray 27-21-48

UVA ...56g -38a-94 p in 6 games , 15.7 pts per. Leader Moore 19-16-35
*Cormier or 2019 #1 recruit Shellenberger replace Krauss in 2021

Duke ...56g-29a-85 in 8 games , 10.6 per. Leader Dyson Williams 25-5-30
*Joe Robertson returns from injury 42-17-59 in 18 games (2019)
*Sowers transfers in for 2021, 16-31-47 in 5 games at Princeton 9.4 its per

Cuse ...27g-27a- 54 in 5 games , 10.8 per, Leader Scanlan 18-5-23
*14 of 18 assists by Refhuss in 2 games

ND. 24g-20a- 44 p in 6games , 7. 3
* soph att Connor Morin sidelined , was 23-13 -36 in 2019

2020 Attack Stats with some notes... different schedules . Expect Duke attack production to rise significantly in 2021.

UNC ...67g- 57 a- 124 points in 7 games, 17.7 pts per. Leader Gray 27-21-48

UVA ...56g -38a-94 p in 6 games , 15.7 pts per. Leader Moore 19-16-35
*Cormier or 2019 #1 recruit Shellenberger replace Krauss in 2021

Duke ...56g-29a-85 in 8 games , 10.6 per. Leader Dyson Williams 25-5-30
*Joe Robertson returns from injury 42-17-59 in 18 games (2019)
*Sowers transfers in for 2021, 16-31-47 in 5 games at Princeton 9.4 its per

Cuse ...27g-27a- 54 in 5 games , 10.8 per, Leader Scanlan 18-5-23
*14 of 18 assists by Refhuss in 2 games

ND. 24g-20a- 44 p in 6games , 7. 3
* soph att Connor Morin sidelined , was 23-13 -36 in 2019
Correction on ND 28-20-48 in 6 games 8 points per.
Leader frosh Kavanaugh 10-6-16

Correction on ND 28-20-48 in 6 games 8 points per.
Leader frosh Kavanaugh 10-6-16
ND correction again, sorry , they only played 5 games so...

28-20-48 in 5 games 9.6 per
Leader Kavanaugh 10-6-16
* Connor Morin sidelined 23-13-36 in 2019

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors