2020 Transfer Thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

Yup unfortunate but this has been rumored for a week + now. Disappointing to say the least. I am hopeful this will push put a few Duke guys who were planning on returning they have a logjam at attack. The fact they haven't had one player in the portal is shocking.

Gulp.

Your move Orange

Morrill, Yorke, Holden, Bertrand, Brown

Assuming Rehfuss returns I'm not sure SU will make a move with Hiltz coming in. Although I'd obviously like us to respond especially if Rehfuss isn't coming back. To me SU really needs to target the top lsm or Close Defender in the portal. I'd also take a long look at Sundown now.

damn

At Duke, he’ll be expected to quarterback an offense that will have an embarrassment of riches returning on the attack, though it remains to be seen exactly which fifth-year seniors will be returning to Durham. Freshman Dyson Williams led the Blue Devils with 25 goals and five assists in 2020, while junior J.P. Basile broke through for 19 points, playing in six of their eight games. Joe Robertson will also return from a season-ending ACL injury after recording 42 goals and 17 assists for Duke in 2019.

A long-awaited arrival, the Blue Devils will also welcome No. 1 senior recruit Brennan O’Neill, who has been touted by many as a “generational talent” out of St. Anthony’s HS on Long Island.

Predictable... Ivy League wasn't going to SU. I love who we are!

Well it’s certainly disappointing, though, not surprising. I don’t think Duke will see many decommits, they don’t really over recruit like some other teams. They seem to bring in only 8-10 guys but they all happen to be 5 star quality.

What Robertson does might be interesting, they now have four really good attackman and I highly doubt they sit O’Neil for a year. Not only that but I think they bring back three really good middies with Leadmon, Caputo and Montgomery. Yikes.

I wonder if this will kick the transfer market into high gear with the main attraction off the board? Lots of teams still haven’t announced if 5th players are coming back so a lot is still up in the air.

Well it’s certainly disappointing, though, not surprising. I don’t think Duke will see many decommits, they don’t really over recruit like some other teams. They seem to bring in only 8-10 guys but they all happen to be 5 star quality.

What Robertson does might be interesting, they now have four really good attackman and I highly doubt they sit O’Neil for a year. Not only that but I think they bring back three really good middies with Leadmon, Caputo and Montgomery. Yikes.

I wonder if this will kick the transfer market into high gear with the main attraction off the board? Lots of teams still haven’t announced if 5th players are coming back so a lot is still up in the air.

Their attack unit will be crazy awesome. That O'Neil is physically imposing.

Assuming Rehfuss returns I'm not sure SU will make a move with Hiltz coming in. Although I'd obviously like us to respond especially if Rehfuss isn't coming back. To me SU really needs to target the top lsm or Close Defender in the portal. I'd also take a long look at Sundown now.

Who is the top defenseman in the portal? Eric Wenz?

Would love to see Sundown in a Orange jersey.

Duke's recruiting has been off the charts... really impressive. In fact, so good that there's no way all of them will be able to play. It will be interesting to see who ends up in the portal.

Who is the top defenseman in the portal? Eric Wenz?

Would love to see Sundown in a Orange jersey.

Good question, not sure there is a clear guy to be honest. Some pretty good lsms available though that I think SU could really use.

But we did beat Duke tonight in the Sim ACCs :cool:
Not happy to see Duke get Sowers but I still really like our talent and team chemistry. I have heard great things about Hiltz being a slam dunk game changer - time will tell. Will be interesting to see if Desko and crew proceed to Plan B and pick up one or more of the remaining stud transfers. I agree with Jeremy Cuse - we should target a Close Defender to replace Mellen. I think that's our only "hole" right now and will be critical in slowing down Sowers and Chris Gray.

Aren't Dyson Williams and Brennan O'Neill both lefties?
One might have to play midfield.

Aren't Dyson Williams and Brennan O'Neill both lefties?
One might have to play midfield.

Both Dyson Williams and Brennan O'Neil are lefties. It will be really interesting to see who starts at attack as I see Williams and O'Neil both having tons of success in a fast break/unsettled situation. I think one of them will ultimately have no run out of the box. I also think Robertson will do really well with Sowers. He can be an on ball player, but I think he is best in an off ball role similar to his freshman year when he had Gutterding feeding him the ball.
The reality is Duke is Loaded on offense. This past spring they ran three lines of midfielders consistently. Garrett Leadmon, Cam Badour, Owen Caputo, Jaden Kerry, Nakeie Montgomery, and Connor Drake all got serious time and are good players. JP Basile was lighting it up at attack and will probably move to midfield. Jake Caputo was playing dmid this past year, but could jump to offense if his father wants him to and Mike Swirbalus is a stud from Massachusetts who I believe was injured this past year, but could make an impact. On top of all of that I would expect one of the three incoming midfielders to play a minor role. They are deep across the board on offense and will be an interesting team to follow.

Sowers and Robertson are proven. Williams was everything n more, Basile was lighting up ,ONeil be real and ABC cited the numbers and depths of other Duke scorers at mid.

Cuse gonna need a bigger boat

That potential attack line is impressive, but I agree with the proven success of the midfield giving us the edge. Anyone hear anything where Teat might end up?

Think this would have been a good upgrade to the SU defense.

That potential attack line is impressive, but I agree with the proven success of the midfield giving us the edge. Anyone hear anything where Teat might end up?

No word out of Cornell if they will allow 5th years back, so he might be able to stay. Beleive Harvard, Princeton and Yale were the only Ivy's to officially say no to 5th years as of now. Don't think any have said yes to them either, but it feels like the longer it drags on, the more likely it is they allow it.