2022-23 Portal Cup | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

2022-23 Portal Cup

David began last season as the starting LT. But he struggled greatly and ended up on the second team at RT. By the bowl game. he had dropped from the two deep entirely.
With his brother at Duke; would make for a potential cool story down the line, maybe. Dueling Wohlabaughs.

We should look at some of these schools and preemptively send offers to any ~4 stars they get commits from. Just keep SU there so that when some of them head to the portal the following year we aren’t reaching out for the first time. Don’t need to spend crazy $ making a connection. Just make a few contacts, send an offer and let it just sit. Then when they portal, reach out and see if there’s any level of interest and it’s not the first time we’ve made contact.

With his brother at Duke; would make for a potential cool story down the line, maybe. Dueling Wohlabaughs.
Jack was last listed on the Duke football roster in 2021 so this is probably not going to happen.

It brings up a question though.

Jack was a center. Dave Senior was a center. We know Dave Junior played center in HS. There is a lot of history with the Wohlabaughs and the center position.

And that is the position we arguably have the biggest need.

I wonder if Dave starts out there?

It's not just SU. Some of those programs won't have problems replacing productivity. In Colorado's case, they were forced out.
They are not replacing 56 players. Scholarship limits prevent it from happening.

tenor.png

Jack was last listed on the Duke football roster in 2021 so this is probably not going to happen.

It brings up a question though.

Jack was a center. Dave Senior was a center. We know Dave Junior played center in HS. There is a lot of history with the Wohlabaughs and the center position.

And that is the position we arguably have the biggest need.

I wonder if Dave starts out there?
Hoping Reed solves our center issues for the foreseeable future. But, nice to have him come in, and be able to provide insurance at C in case Reed doesn't arrive, and also be Bleich insurance at RG.

Hoping Reed solves our center issues for the foreseeable future. But, nice to have him come in, and be able to provide insurance at C in case Reed doesn't arrive, and also be Bleich insurance at RG.
I expect Reed to be our best center since at least Servais from day one. He has the size, strength and the background (love players from Houston).

I think if there is an issue with him, it is exactly what you are saying. Some weird academic thing. Given our history with the NCAA, this has to be considered a possibility.

Dave Jr was good enough to get a scholarship to an SEC program. He was good enough to win a starting job at an SEC school as a frosh. He has two years practicing against SEC DLs. And he has a couple family members to advise him in case he loses his way.

I bet he ends up starting somewhere in a year or two.

They are not replacing 56 players. Scholarship limits prevent it from happening.
This was passed May 2022

The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to implement a two-year waiver for programs to sign a larger number of recruits as well as remove the requirements for FBS conference championship games, allowing the conferences to decide themselves on how their teams will be eligible for the contest. The initiatives were rubber-stamped following recommendations from the Football Oversight Committee earlier this month.

The change in the initial scholarship counter is a significant development spurred by roster turnover during the transfer portal era. Previously, schools were limited to adding 25 initial scholarship players a year between high school recruits and transfers with some loopholes existing. However, in a time when it's not uncommon for a school to have 20 or more scholarship players entering the portal, the math can become complicated.

Kansas notably dug itself into a deep scholarship hole after Charlie Weis was fired in 2014. When David Beaty took over the program in 2015, the Jayhawks had just 28 scholarship players for spring practice instead of the allowed 85 scholarships.

While the NCAA would remove the restriction for a limited period of time, teams would still be capped at 85 scholarship players. However, it would clear the way for massive high school and transfer recruiting classes to fill spots during the two-year window.

No. Everyone had to be in the portal by April 30th. If he is in the portal it's just becoming public today.
I know but this is what I went by. Is he a grad student? If not than yeah it must just be when it was announced.

Last edited:
I know but this is what I went by. Is he a grad student? If not than yeah it must just be when it was announced.
He did not participate in spring so not that surprising

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom