2022 Coaching Carousel | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Coaching Carousel

Jay Williams today was saying that the loss of Smith may really harm the Duke incoming class and future recruiting and that it "might" open the door to coach K staying for the good of the program. He said Smith was the recruiter at Duke and that he thinks Louisville's recruiting will really take an upswing because of this.

It's been kicked around on the Boneyard and UMASS hoops board. UCONN and UMASS have some new understanding that they have mutual interests and they like their new found rivalries in football and soccer and think a basketball rivalry would be good too,.
Reliable sources those

Jay Williams today was saying that the loss of Smith may really harm the Duke incoming class and future recruiting and that it "might" open the door to coach K staying for the good of the program. He said Smith was the recruiter at Duke and that he thinks Louisville's recruiting will really take an upswing because of this.
I don't think K is coming back but I think this is step 1 of the school taking the program back. Stand by my prediction Duke will revert to pre K norms within 5 years.

I don't think K is coming back but I think this is step 1 of the school taking the program back. Stand by my prediction Duke will revert to pre K norms within 5 years.
I've been saying this, too. They'll still be good, but not as stratospherically good as they are now. Scheyer is going to pay for K's excesses in the One-and-Done realm.

Last edited:
The only sure way is to drive a wooden stake thru its heart.

Last edited:

They were pretty bad in the 70s, but I do think they take a fall to Top 20-30 range.

Duke hasn't been Duke for a long time though.

ACC Regular Season Champs
1 in last 12 seasons
2 in last 16 seasons

ACC Tourney Champs
2 in the last 11 seasons (2020 was cancelled though)

Elite 8 or better
6 in the last 19 seasons (2020 was cancelled)

Final Fours
3 in the last 19 seasons (2020 was cancelled)

Champs
2 in the last 21 seasons (2020 was cancelled)
3 in the last 30 seasons (2020 was cancelled)

1986-1994 was an amazing run and even 1995-2004 was great. But that was also a long time ago.

1986-1994
In 9 seasons: 2 Champs, 7 Final Fours!!!, 4 ACC season, 3 ACC tourney

1995-2004
In 10 seasons: 1 Champ, 3 Final Fours, 6 ACC season, 5 ACC tourney

1986-2004
In 19 seasons: 3 Champs, 10 Final Fours, 10 ACC season, 8 ACC tourney

2005-2022
In 18 seasons*: 2 Champs, 3 Final Fours, 3 ACC season, 7 ACC tourney

The Final Fours and ACC seasons are way down the last 18 seasons. ACC tourney has stayed the same.

If they do, there will be a huge loss of $$$$ support from alumni and other big boosters.

If they do, there will be a huge loss of $$$$ support from alumni and other big boosters.
... to athletics, but not the academic side. It's been proven that there is no relationship between athletic success and the amount of money given to the academic side of the house. The Chancellor, et al., are not paid to maintain a high level of alumni donations to the athletic side. Athletic success can drive up the number of applications (the "Flutie Effect"), but Duke has no need whatsoever for more applicants.

Thad Matta, Fran Dunphy and Steve Lavin are being begged to come out of retirement….if this doesn’t speak to the issue facing schools trying to hire coaches.

The “national search” people better start resetting their expectations.

Thad Matta, Fran Dunphy and Steve Lavin are being begged to come out of retirement….if this doesn’t speak to the issue facing schools trying to hire coaches.

I don't want to like this, but begrudingly, it seems to be the way of the world right now. Even teams kicking the tires on Sean Miller (hired by Xavier) and Wade seems to point to the lack of quality candidates.

The schools were Butler, Lasalle, and San Diego, not a who's who of college basketball.

Last edited:
The schools were Butler, Lasalle, and San Diego, not a who's who of college basketball.
Agree - however, it speaks to schools not being able to take chances these days. There's too much at stake from a fan/alum/revenue perspective. Therefore, they go with more known quantities - or in-house hires.

Like it or not, it's going to be more and more difficult to get a head coaching job at the Division I level if you're the top assistant at a different school. The pressure is too great, and there are way too many variables to you succeeding right away, giving the learning curve it takes from moving over a seat.

There are also more and more schools offering big money to some of these coaches at lower level schools. Archie Miller is getting nearly $2M to coach at URI. Dayton is paying similar levels to Anthony Grant, as is UMass to Frank Martin. Those are three A-10 schools, both paying close to what Syracuse is paying Jim Boeheim.

Not saying Syracuse won't up its game when Boeheim retires - they'll need to in order to compete. But it's not as certain to be able to pluck up and coming head coaches from mid-major schools now if you're a high-major program, because they're getting more competitive with salaries.

GW just hired Chris Caputo from Miami. That is a very risky hire, in my eyes. Dunphy at La Salle is also risky, but all things considered I think most AD's are going to take the known quantity over the shiny, new hire because they at least know what they're getting.

Just my opinion.

And the 2 huge who’s who - Duke and UNC stayed in house and hired assistants - no national searches nor candidates that captured their interest- I believe that might have been Jake‘s point. That there is a shortage of qualified, attractive candidates so programs are sticking with coaches they have been associated with - they know - not national searches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom