2022 Mets thread | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

All I ask is that the Mets have a team that are playoff contenders every year. It’s incredibly difficult to win a World Series but being in the mix every season and getting hot at the right time increases your chances. The Braves had the best team for like 8 years in the 90s before the 98 Yankees came along and only won the World Series once in that span. The current Dodgers have been great for the better part of a decade and have one title to show for it. Shows how hard it is to win but if we can consistently put out a good product like these other teams, I believe we will get our title sooner than later, even if it’s only a one time thing.

All I ask is that the Mets have a team that are playoff contenders every year. It’s incredibly difficult to win a World Series but being in the mix every season and getting hot at the right time increases your chances. The Braves had the best team for like 8 years in the 90s before the 98 Yankees came along and only won the World Series once in that span. The current Dodgers have been great for the better part of a decade and have one title to show for it. Shows how hard it is to win but if we can consistently put out a good product like these other teams, I believe we will get our title sooner than later, even if it’s only a one time thing.

Good points. It's quite something looking at what the Red Sox, Giants and Cardinals have done the past 20 years. No disrespect to the Yankees but it seems after their three peat the league as whole has gotten much harder to win it all.

It is incredibly hard to win.

Dodgers lost in 7 to Houston in ‘17. Could’ve easily gone either way, and that’s before you account for Houston’s garbage can stuff.

Lost to Boston in ‘18….easy to forget unless you’re a bitter Dodgers fan, but the Dodgers had a huge lead in game 4, which would’ve tied the series, and Roberts bungled his pitching decisions and Boston came back and won. Series over, essentially.

2019 was actually the Dodgers best team, and they lost a tough round 1 series to a red hot Washington team(Roberts brought Kershaw out of the bullpen to give up two homers - that was the series…so dumb), and Washington won it all. Will always think the Dodgers would’ve won it if they got by Washington.

2020, the Dodgers finally won it….but were down 3-1 to the Braves. They had us.

Had a legit Championship level team 4 straight years, and won it once.

Last year’s team lost Muncy(who was in MVP contention) on the last day of the regular season, and Kershaw right before the playoffs. Untimely injuries with guys who couldn’t be replaced.

So many things have to go right to win it - it’s such a long season and baseball can get so weird and random.

Bottom line, I just appreciate having a team with a chance every year. Dodgers organization massively underachieved in the 90s and especially 00s, so I’m loving this run. And yeah, on paper the Mets should be the Dodgers primary rival in the NL(those darn Braves are so smart though - they’re set up to be a contender for a long time). I do think the Mets will be a franchise to be reckoned with, long term. Just like with the Dodgers - there’s too much money not to, once you get smart people in the right spots.

Bottom line, I just appreciate having a team with a chance every year. Dodgers organization massively underachieved in the 90s and especially 00s, so I’m loving this run. And yeah, on paper the Mets should be the Dodgers primary rival in the NL(those darn Braves are so smart though - they’re set up to be a contender for a long time). I do think the Mets will be a franchise to be reckoned with, long term. Just like with the Dodgers - there’s too much money not to, once you get smart people in the right spots.
All up to Steve Cohen now. Not asking him to be exactly like George Steinbrenner but a little closer to him than the Wilpons please.

I was stunned to see how many met ‘fans’ quit on them yesterday.

The empty seats were quite telling and the team played like it.

Nonsense over, real baseball being played in NYC starting tomorrow…

Real baseball lol. The way the Yanks finished the season I wouldn't be barking much. 1 game over .500 since the ASB

Thanks for trolling as always. Looking forward to catching a glimpse of you on tv in your seat at Yankee Stadium tomorrow night.

This is sad and lame even by the recent low standards you've set for yourself.

Look at the idiots who are not able to leave a hidden fake Board’s nonsense behind them.

You all are pathetic.

Grow a sack and man up, this is the sports board.

Mets epically choked.

Yankees could too, but instead of debate, we get fools and their hurt feelings.

tools here take everything so seriously.

Sorry, was that out loud??

Look at the idiots who are not able to leave a hidden fake Board’s nonsense behind them.

You all are pathetic.

Mets epically choked.

Such a master debater you are...

You all are pathetic.

Mets epically choked.

Mets do have a big problem - Max maybe a 20-25 start guy (at 2 million a start) and deGrom is sort of a no win situation if he signs or leaves.

Letting Nimmo go and throwing an extra 15 mil at that spot (instead of 20 for BN 35 for Judge) seems like a Cohen move.

Mets do have a big problem - Max maybe a 20-25 start guy (at 2 million a start) and deGrom is sort of a no win situation if he signs or leaves.

Letting Nimmo go and throwing an extra 15 mil at that spot (instead of 20 for BN 35 for Judge) seems like a Cohen move.
I don’t see Judge as an option honestly. He’s either staying with the Yankees or going home to San Francisco. Can’t see him spurning the Yankees and staying in the same city, no matter how much money Cohen throws at him. I think deGrom is gone too. Hope they resign Nimmo but not confident.

IMHO, the worst thing about how the season ended is the Brewers not making the playoffs and David Stearns not getting released out of his contract a year early.

After how badly the trade deadline was handled by the current front office, I lack confidence these guys can handle all job of remaking the roster for 2023.

I hope they all prove me wrong.

Their big problem overall is they are way too old and have very little cheap, prearb talent under 30 on their 40 man roster. Having that talent and supplementing with free agents seems to be the key to the Braves and Dodgers success. Not free agents alone.

I read somewhere that the last high impact promotion from the farm was in 2018 and I can't even remember who that was... so for the last 4 years Mets they have gotten ZERO talent upgrades. This situation is not sustainable as it requires Uncle Steve to rebuild the roster with older, players every year. Until the Mets fix their talent pipeline they will never reach the vision of becoming the Dodgers-east.

Their big problem overall is they are way too old and have very little cheap, prearb talent under 30 on their 40 man roster. Having that talent and supplementing with free agents seems to be the key to the Braves and Dodgers success. Not free agents alone.

I read somewhere that the last high impact promotion from the farm was in 2018 and I can't even remember who that was... so for the last 4 years Mets they have gotten ZERO talent upgrades. This situation is not sustainable as it requires Uncle Steve to rebuild the roster with older, players every year. Until the Mets fix their talent pipeline they will never reach the vision of becoming the Dodgers-east.

That's why they wanted to hold onto their prospects rather than make a splashy trade at the deadline. They also had 5 of the top 90 picks in the last draft.

That's why they wanted to hold onto their prospects rather than make a splashy trade at the deadline. They also had 5 of the top 90 picks in the last draft.
Right… but having a must win now team and holding on to prospects is a completely disconnected strategy. The problem is they are trying to do both at the same time and I don’t think that works.

This is all true, except Pete Alonso made his MLB debut in 2019. He was an "upgrade."

Not feeling quite as bad about losing to the Padres. If they can beat a 101 win team, maybe they can beat a 111 win team - and go on to win it all.

"Francisco Alvarez underwent surgery on his right ankle after imaging showed “cartilage damage resulting from the preexisting loose body.”

His body is 'loose'?

Euuuwww...

The ph'n Phillies, who finished 14 games behind the Mets and the Braves and were in first place only for one single day, (April 11th) will be in the World Series, with the Mets, Braves Dodgers, Cardinals and Keith Hernandez all watching them on TV!

Euuuwww...

The ph'n Phillies, who finished 14 games behind the Mets and the Braves and were in first place only for one single day, (April 11th) will be in the World Series, with the Mets, Braves Dodgers, Cardinals and Keith Hernandez all watching them on TV!
At least I can support them vs the Astros.

Good start to the offseason for the Mets,

I apologize for replying to my own post but I am not here to comment on it. Just to add a dissenting point of view.

Keith Law hates this move.

It is of course a pay site so many of you can't read it. But he basically points out that the vast majority of the time a relief pitcher coming off a great year signs a long term contract, it ends up being a disaster for the team that does the signing.
Relief pitchers are notorious for their inconsistency and just not worth the kind of money the Mets are spending.

I hated the trade for Cano with a fiery passion and have been openly disappointed with Diaz for much of his time with the Mets. But he has been pretty damn good and consistent for a while now.

I like that he is still in his 20s (for a little while) and to my knowledge, has never been hurt.

And I think you have to take into account how popular a player is. How much the fanbase embraces him. Edwin is a big deal to Mets fans. Losing him likely affects attendance to some extent, maybe TV ratings too.

Let's get Brandon Nimmo and Jacob deGrom signed and I will be pretty happy.

For a bit. ;)

As you know I'm a Phils' fan, and enjoyed their post-season run. Kinda justified the long-term Harper contract.

However, I like the move for the Mets. There's always a risk when you sign anyone, let alone a relief pitcher, to a long-term contract. However, Diaz was absolutely dominant, and it takes only one championship to make a move like this worth it, even if it's at the expense of sunk costs in the out years.

As you know I'm a Phils' fan, and enjoyed their post-season run. Kinda justified the long-term Harper contract.

However, I like the move for the Mets. There's always a risk when you sign anyone, let alone a relief pitcher, to a long-term contract. However, Diaz was absolutely dominant, and it takes only one championship to make a move like this worth it, even if it's at the expense of sunk costs in the out years.

Question will be is if there is enough quality pitching in front of him and even power in the lineup that he gets the chances...