2022 Mets thread | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

I apologize for replying to my own post but I am not here to comment on it. Just to add a dissenting point of view.

Keith Law hates this move.

It is of course a pay site so many of you can't read it. But he basically points out that the vast majority of the time a relief pitcher coming off a great year signs a long term contract, it ends up being a disaster for the team that does the signing.
Relief pitchers are notorious for their inconsistency and just not worth the kind of money the Mets are spending.

I hated the trade for Cano with a fiery passion and have been openly disappointed with Diaz for much of his time with the Mets. But he has been pretty damn good and consistent for a while now.

I like that he is still in his 20s (for a little while) and to my knowledge, has never been hurt.

And I think you have to take into account how popular a player is. How much the fanbase embraces him. Edwin is a big deal to Mets fans. Losing him likely affects attendance to some extent, maybe TV ratings too.

Let's get Brandon Nimmo and Jacob deGrom signed and I will be pretty happy.

For a bit. ;)

His first year in New York was an excellent example. He'd had a great year in Seattle but didn't look like the same pitcher in New York.

But he was 24 then. he seems to have entered his prime. As you said, he's too popular now to just let him go - and maybe show up in Philly or Atlanta and come out to pitch at us to the tune of Tommy Trumpet.

True. But it's not as if the checkbook is closed, or close to being closed.

I think the brain trust's emphasis is on holding onto key players and building up the farm system for long-term success, so I don't expect any sexy deals or earth-shaking free agent signings. But there are other Bassetts, Walkers, Carasco's, etc. out there.

His first year in New York was an excellent example. He'd had a great year in Seattle but didn't look like the same pitcher in New York.

But he was 24 then. he seems to have entered his prime. As you said, he's too popular now to just let him go - and maybe show up in Philly or Atlanta and come out to pitch at us to the tune of Tommy Trumpet.
Agree. I saw a recent article that did an in depth review of Edwin's stats the last 4 or 5 years.

The speed on his fastball shows no signs of decline. His numbers for K percentage show no signs of decline. If anything, they are getting better.

That, his long history of being injury free and his popularity make me feel better about this move. Also, there isn't much in the farm system almost ready to replace him. We have little in the way of top level pitching prospects almost ready for MLB.

Agree. I saw a recent article that did an in depth review of Edwin's stats the last 4 or 5 years.

The speed on his fastball shows no signs of decline. His numbers for K percentage show no signs of decline. If anything, they are getting better.

That, his long history of being injury free and his popularity make me feel better about this move. Also, there isn't much in the farm system almost ready to replace him. We have little in the way of top level pitching prospects almost ready for MLB.

I'll be very curious just how ready the young bats/gloves are come next spring. There is potential but I don't see a Harris/Grissom like production from any of them. Happy to be wrong here.

I wonder if klaw had worked for the Yankees whether Rivera would have been a Yankee for life or would they have not reupped him at some point because the metrics said he's not worth the money at that age? He managed to play 13 years for the Yanks and it didn't work out too poorly for them.

Mets are betting Edwin is the next Rivera and are willing to pay for it. I doubt they would have been able to lock up Diaz for 5 years without overpaying a bit.

The Rule 5 draft is about to happen and it is causing all sorts of activity around baseball right now.

Sources say the Mets are expected to make a trade today. The rumors are it will get them some pitching. There are rumors it involved the Rays, which terrifies me because they are the most saavy team in MLB and the current Mets brain trust is, IMHO, average at best.

Guessing we will see Dom Smith get traded for pennies on the dollar. The Rays will fix him and make him an All Star. We will get someone who is hurt, crazy and wild. He will not make the Mets team out of spring training, will pitch in two games in Syracuse and then quit baseball to work on car engines.

The Rule 5 draft is about to happen and it is causing all sorts of activity around baseball right now.

Sources say the Mets are expected to make a trade today. The rumors are it will get them some pitching. There are rumors it involved the Rays, which terrifies me because they are the most saavy team in MLB and the current Mets brain trust is, IMHO, average at best.

Guessing we will see Dom Smith get traded for pennies on the dollar. The Rays will fix him and make him an All Star. We will get someone who is hurt, crazy and wild. He will not make the Mets team out of spring training, will pitch in two games in Syracuse and then quit baseball to work on car engines.

BLOG%2B-%2B279%2B-%2BEnd%2Bis%2BNear%2B%255Bpart%2B1%255D%2Bwhere%2Bnot%2Bto%2Blook%2B%2528Homer%2BSimpson%2529.jpg

i love deGrom -- but 5 years for him just would have been foolish. JV for 2 (possibly 3) is risky of course, given his age, but man... what a consolation prize.

Helps for sure deGrom is going to baseball abyss and not a 'right now contender'

i love deGrom -- but 5 years for him just would have been foolish. JV for 2 (possibly 3) is risky of course, given his age, but man... what a consolation prize.

Helps for sure deGrom is going to baseball abyss and not a 'right now contender'
Agree. 5 years for Jake is crazy. Texas did what Texas always does. Something stupid. Sounds like they were desperate and acted accordingly.

I am much better off signing Verlander for 2 years vs deGrom for 5 years. Jake's health has been unreliable and I think the probability of him pitching significant innings well for 5 seasons is very small.

Verlander is coming off a Cy Young season and should be good for at least one ace level season. We need good starters to fill the rotation for a couple of years until the farm system starts providing youngsters ready to step up and help out. Justin fits the bill well.

Gotta get at least one more solid starter, 3 or 4 solid bullpen arms and a center fielder.

Hope it is Brandon.

There are quite a few good starters available and quite a few good relievers but the top priority is finding a two way center fielder. Hope that is the next thing addressed.

Yikes... Phillies just inked Turner. Top 3 in NL East are going to be LOADED.

Sadly I think Phils and Braves have better lineups top to bottom

Yikes... Phillies just inked Turner. Top 3 in NL East are going to be LOADED.

Sadly I think Phils and Braves have better lineups top to bottom
Maybe.

We are good at LF, RF, SS, 2B and 1B.

We must get better at C and I think we will with Alvarez playing there a lot. I expect McCann will be jettisoned some far outpost and I think we will also see Nido hit better next year.

We must get better at DH and I think with Alvarez/Vientos and Vogelbach for a full season, we will be much improved here. Not expecting great production but we were really bad here last year. Just decent would be a big improvement.

If we sign Nimmo, we are good at CF. I am getting a strong vibe we are not going to do this, which is not good. Worried here.

Not sold on Escobar as the 3B. We are going to give the job to Baty and give Escobar some minutes at 3B and 2B?

Guillorme is a nice infield sub. He can hit and field better than many regulars. He might win the 3B job. Between the 3 of them, I think we are good at 3B.

Need a backup OF. We might end up making Guillorme the 2B and making McNeil a starter in the OF. But I think we need to at least add another OF, preferably Nimmo.

Need Nimmo. Love/Hate/Like/Dislike — he is MUCH better than the options at CF right now

Jeezus I hope Mets have a plan past Verlander. Walker is going to torture us with the Phils (at least until August or so when he falls of the table). They need to sign another SP, sign Nimmo and probably a bunch of bullpen arms. It doesn't seem like they are in on Bassitt. I hope they have a backup plan for some tier 2 pitching.

Jeezus I hope Mets have a plan past Verlander. Walker is going to torture us with the Phils (at least until August or so when he falls of the table). They need to sign another SP, sign Nimmo and probably a bunch of bullpen arms. It doesn't seem like they are in on Bassitt. I hope they have a backup plan for some tier 2 pitching.
Lost Jameson Tailion last night too. It sounded like Tailion and Senga were the mid level guys they really wanted. They had some interest in Walker, Bassitt and a few others. One was Evaldi.

I think Senga has the most upside and best stuff but is also quite wild.

Based on how Eppler answered a question about Nimmo at the start of the meetings, I would be shocked if he is re-signed.

And no relievers signed yet. I guess it is the job of Met fans to freak out. I am doing my job.. ;)

Lost Jameson Tailion last night too. It sounded like Tailion and Senga were the mid level guys they really wanted. They had some interest in Walker, Bassitt and a few others. One was Evaldi.

I think Senga has the most upside and best stuff but is also quite wild.

Based on how Eppler answered a question about Nimmo at the start of the meetings, I would be shocked if he is re-signed.

And no relievers signed yet. I guess it is the job of Met fans to freak out. I am doing my job.. ;)
It would seem dumb to pay a 38 and 40 year old pitcher 80mm+ per year, pay the highest amount ever to a closer only to not build a team around them to win now. That would be basically setting 100mm a year of Uncle Steve’s money on fire. I’d be okay with Senga given his upside, but I really hope they can Bassitt back.

Not sure what the plan is for centerfield… they also surely can’t be thinking Marte will last a whole season at center or right for that matter.

Bullpen is not even a dumpster fire… it’s worse.

It would seem dumb to pay a 38 and 40 year old pitcher 80mm+ per year, pay the highest amount ever to a closer only to not build a team around them to win now. That would be basically setting 100mm a year of Uncle Steve’s money on fire. I’d be okay with Senga given his upside, but I really hope they can Bassitt back.

Not sure what the plan is for centerfield… they also surely can’t be thinking Marte will last a whole season at center or right for that matter.

Bullpen is not even a dumpster fire… it’s worse.
Yes, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I get the vibe that they spent a lot early and are looking to save money now and bargain hunt.

There are no bargains this year. If you want good players, you have to pay.

Hope I am wrong and the team is able to retain Nimmo.

I would personally prefer Bassitt to Senga. Guessing you can get him a little cheaper and for a shorter contract.

I am thinking the Mets will make a couple of trades and clean out the farm system again. Maybe add Lopez and Reynolds, though the players this management team like to get are usually a lot older.

Whatever they do, please do not trade any of our young pitchers, Ramirez or Alvarez. Please.

@SWC has been waiting to see some good baseball in Syracuse a long time. He isn't getting any younger and deserves to see the Syracuse Mets contend for a Governor's Cup soon.

Yes, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I get the vibe that they spent a lot early and are looking to save money now and bargain hunt.

There are no bargains this year. If you want good players, you have to pay.

Hope I am wrong and the team is able to retain Nimmo.

I would personally prefer Bassitt to Senga. Guessing you can get him a little cheaper and for a shorter contract.

I am thinking the Mets will make a couple of trades and clean out the farm system again. Maybe add Lopez and Reynolds, though the players this management team like to get are usually a lot older.

Whatever they do, please do not trade any of our young pitchers, Ramirez or Alvarez. Please.

@SWC has been waiting to see some good baseball in Syracuse a long time. He isn't getting any younger and deserves to see the Syracuse Mets contend for a Governor's Cup soon.
Maybe they are going to go after Renyolds from Pittsburgh. But the pirates will ask for a LOT for him and he's not as good as Nimmo.

If the strategy is to go cheap now, then Eppler and the rest of the front office should be fired ASAP because the team as constructed is 3rd place in the NL East and I doubt adding a bunch of cheap pieces changes the math that much. Congratulations on spending ~$300mmm for a 3rd place team gents. Also What are Verlander and Max thinking? They have so many pitches left... do they want to waste them on a team that is not built to make noise in October?

I'm not panicking in Cohen, but this is starting to remind me of when Pegula bought the Bills... they didn't figure it out until they brought in Beane and McD to build the franchise. I am at this point willing to say Eppler is no Beane... but I guess we should see how the rest of this plays out.

It looks like the Mets are going to use 2023 as a throwaway year to have one great shot at the World Series in 2024 by putting all their chips in on Ohtani next season. Seems silly when your two aces are 39 and 40 but this is the Mets we are talking about.