2022 Mets thread | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Mets thread

really too early to panic
Quintana is not a bad pick up. now they have 6 guys who can start even if they dont get another.

I like Quintana. Curious to see if they get Senga and what he'll look like in the MLB

However -- priority 1 is Nimmo and it's not even close.

My guess how this all shakes out is the Mets resign Nimmo, miss out on Senga (LAD, Missed out on deGrom, JV, and the lure for a Japanese player to LA is understandable) and make a trade for a mid-level 3SP

Maybe they are going to go after Renyolds from Pittsburgh. But the pirates will ask for a LOT for him and he's not as good as Nimmo.

If the strategy is to go cheap now, then Eppler and the rest of the front office should be fired ASAP because the team as constructed is 3rd place in the NL East and I doubt adding a bunch of cheap pieces changes the math that much. Congratulations on spending ~$300mmm for a 3rd place team gents. Also What are Verlander and Max thinking? They have so many pitches left... do they want to waste them on a team that is not built to make noise in October?

I'm not panicking in Cohen, but this is starting to remind me of when Pegula bought the Bills... they didn't figure it out until they brought in Beane and McD to build the franchise. I am at this point willing to say Eppler is no Beane... but I guess we should see how the rest of this plays out.
You don't think Reynolds is better than Nimmo?

Lost Jameson Tailion last night too. It sounded like Tailion and Senga were the mid level guys they really wanted. They had some interest in Walker, Bassitt and a few others. One was Evaldi.

I think Senga has the most upside and best stuff but is also quite wild.

Based on how Eppler answered a question about Nimmo at the start of the meetings, I would be shocked if he is re-signed.

And no relievers signed yet. I guess it is the job of Met fans to freak out. I am doing my job.. ;)

December is usually a disappointing time to be a Met fan*. I'm still bummed that they traded away Roger Cedeno and Octavio Dotel.

*Actually, most months are disappointing times to be a Met fan.

Wow. Buck was talking about Brandon in the past tense last night. I thought for sure he was gone.

The problems on offense last year were at DH and catcher. I think Vogelbach largely solves the DH problems (no pun intended). I am going to assume Alvarez will play some catcher and DH some, and this should help address the rest of these issues.

Robertson makes me feel a lot better about the bullpen. He can handle the 8th inning. Add Ottovino or Chafin to take the 7th, Smith to take the 6th and we are in business.

Wonder if we sign Senga and trade Carrasco? I have heard talk the Mets might go with a 6 man rotation all season to reduce the workload and keep the other guys fresh. So maybe they keep Carlos.

But it makes sense to free up some salary. McCann will surely be traded and that will free up $10 million. There are reports Canha might get traded. Hope not. We have 3 OFs now and McNeil is the emergency 4th OF. Gotta add one. Makes no sense to drop Canha. Maybe Baty becomes the 4th OF and gets some ABs that way?

Could see Escobar getting traded to free some salary and the Mets giving 3B to Baty. Or Vientos if he is not ready. Or Guillorme if he is not ready.

This is looking like a team that can win 100 games again.

Really makes you wonder about metrics when Nimmo is looked at as one of the best fielding CFs in the game..

I’m also glad it’s not yours. We simply couldn’t lose Nimmo. Have you seen the CF options outside of him?
No, I’m excited about Nimmo. But that deal will look atrocious on the backend and I suspect Cohen will be eating some cash when they DFA him at some point.

My bigger issue is the bats on this team fell asleep when it mattered, including Nimmo, and now they seem to be running it back.

No, I’m excited about Nimmo. But that deal will look atrocious on the backend and I suspect Cohen will be eating some cash when they DFA him at some point.

My bigger issue is the bats on this team fell asleep when it mattered, including Nimmo, and now they seem to be running it back.

Agreed on the bigger issue -- you're simply banking on a lineup that won 100 games to do that & more as we've seen the NL east get better.

However I never care about the back end contract stuff. It's baseball, that's how these things go. You want Nimmo for 4 years because that's when he'll be at his best? You have to pay him for 8. Just how it goes

Agreed on the bigger issue -- you're simply banking on a lineup that won 100 games to do that & more as we've seen the NL east get better.

However I never care about the back end contract stuff. It's baseball, that's how these things go. You want Nimmo for 4 years because that's when he'll be at his best? You have to pay him for 8. Just how it goes
The Mets need two of this current crop of talent to pan out: Baty, Alvarez, Mauricio, Vientos or at least turn into controllable talent via trade. FWIW I don't see it with Baty and 3rd base... his arm looks really weak and he's not as nimble as other 3rd basemen. Maybe Baty to LF and Mauricio to 3rd? It seems like it's time to make decisions about this current crop of talent.

I like Quintana. Curious to see if they get Senga and what he'll look like in the MLB

However -- priority 1 is Nimmo and it's not even close.

My guess how this all shakes out is the Mets resign Nimmo, miss out on Senga (LAD, Missed out on deGrom, JV, and the lure for a Japanese player to LA is understandable) and make a trade for a mid-level 3SP

Nimmo AND Senga!

Every MLB owner should act like Steve Cohen. Being a Pirates fan has to absolutely suck

I suspect they will go with a 6 man rotation much of the season.

That will help the older guys stay fresh and healthy and make it easier for Senga, who is not used to starting every 5th day.

They are probably going to cut some payroll to help mitigate the penalties. McCann and Escobar are, IMHO, the likely guys to get moved. I think there are guys already on the roster who are capable replacements.

Eppler has contacts in Japan and has historically done well signing Japanese players. I suspect he was instrumental in getting Kodai. I think this might be part of a bigger plan to help get Ohtani when he splits with the Angels.

The battle to land Ohtani is going to be an epic one. Pretty sure the Mets will be all in on it. It is nice to root for a team that has a chance to land these once in a lifetime type talents…..

Last edited:
I suspect they will go with a 6 man rotation much of the season.

That will help the older guys stay fresh and healthy and make it easier for Senga, who is not used to starting every 5th day.

They are probably going to cut some payroll to help mitigate the penalties. McCann and Escobar are, IMHO, the likely guys to get moved. I think there are guys already on the roster who are capable replacements.

Eppler has contacts in Japan and has historically done well signing Japanese players. I suspect he was instrumental in getting Kodai. I think this might be part of a bigger plan to help get Ohtani when he splits with the Angels.

The battle to land Ohtani is going to be an epic one. Pretty sure the Mets will be all in on it. It is nice to root for a team that has a chance to land these once in a lifetime type talents…..

I guess all the early handwringing from some folks (orangefoo) was unwarranted. The club is built for another 100 win season, but I think they are still missing multiple impact bats. I really really hope a couple of their kids can provide some pop.

I guess all the early handwringing from some folks (orangefoo) was unwarranted. The club is built for another 100 win season, but I think they are still missing multiple impact bats. I really really hope a couple of their kids can provide some pop.
I’ll join you on the early handwringing. After last year, I don’t really care about 100 wins. I want a team built for the gauntlet that is the postseason. Whoever they need to sign to make that happen, I’m all in on.

I’ll join you on the early handwringing. After last year, I don’t really care about 100 wins. I want a team built for the gauntlet that is the postseason. Whoever they need to sign to make that happen, I’m all in on.
this is my concern… the Mets have had a great offseason. However nothing they have done convinces me that they will win a three game set when it counts against the Padres or that they have enough lineup depth to win the NL East. If Harper stays healthy, and their pitching improves slightly, I think the Mets are the 3rd best team in the NL East.

Mets have the best starting rotation, best closer and the worst bullpen of the three. But if you look at it from a lineup perspective… the only players on the Mets who are as good as their counterparts are Lindor, Alonso and McNeil. And for what it’s worth I think the Braves and Phils could probably win arguments that their players at SS are better than Lindor. I think Alonso is better than Olson, but not by that much and he’s better than the Phillies 1b by a bit more…. But not that much.

Anyways, I won’t beat a dead horse as I know Cohen is trying to remain competitive while building a more sustainable winner. It will be a fun summer in the NL East and West. Meanwhile the Yanks and Astros are going to cake walk through 162 games because the AL is pretty terrible.

I still say the move to make is trade Pete for some elite pitching prospects and outfielders or 3b who can hit.

Have to wonder if Carrasco is dealt now for a bat. Or is mad man Cohen going to try for Correa lol

Have to wonder if Carrasco is dealt now for a bat. Or is mad man Cohen going to try for Correa lol
That would be the ultimate you to the other owners. LOL. The funny part is that, it wouldn’t be that bad of a move luxury tax wise after next season because Mets have soooo much coming off their books end of next season including Max and Verlander. I think Marte and Canha could also be off the books. Is it that nuts to sign the Correa for big aav now, pay the tax for two years while acquiring and developing cheap talent for two years so that they don’t need to sign big name free agents?

The question is does signing Correa take them out of the Ohtani sweepstakes next year and also make it harder to reup Alonso and McNeil.