2022 PGA Tour | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PGA Tour

The defections are going to amp up now as the players believe the PGA can't stop them from competing in the majors and the Ryder Cup is TBD. The PGA is getting a quick awakening that they don't have the pockets and the golfers always chase money.
I think there is a human psychology aspect to it too. When it was only a handful of golfers defecting, they were getting tons of attention. Now that "everybody is doing it" more golfers will feel comfortable jumping ship. Also, if LIV ultimately fails, there are so many people now, the PGA will likely have to let them come back (maybe with some conditions/penalties)

I think there is a human psychology aspect to it too. When it was only a handful of golfers defecting, they were getting tons of attention. Now that "everybody is doing it" more golfers will feel comfortable jumping ship. Also, if LIV ultimately fails, there are so many people now, the PGA will likely have to let them come back (maybe with some conditions/penalties)

The PGA has no say over who plays in the Masters, US Open and British Open. The organizations that oversee those tournaments have yet to announce what they will ultimately do regarding the LIV players.

The PGA has no say over the PGA Championship field either -- it is owned by the PGA of America. The PGA owns/controls no majors. Somebody posted some stuff on the other board about tour membership regarding the PGA championship,, but it was irrelevant.

Those entities, except maybe the Masters, I suspect have no interest in lawsuits from players on LIV either.

What will matter for some on the LIV tour will be what happens with world golf rankings for their events because Top 50 in the world gets you in any major (typically 60's or the British and up to 90's at times for the PGA Championship) . This might be the best way for the PGA to block the "Upper Midcard" from leaving - think guys like Kevin Na, Talor Gooch, Patrick Reed (non Masters), Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter. They will have a hard time playing enough events to stay in the top 50 or even top 100 for too long. But it might not be that effective to block a player currently in the top 20 especially if they have a recent major.

The problem is the top (Dustin Johnson, Bryson Dechambeau, Cameron Smith) are just starting or fairly early in 5 year exemptions to all majors due to winning one. Patrick Reed has one more year. There are also exemptions for past winners, top 12 in prior year, and top 5 in any major the prior year.

And it will take a while for somebody in the top 15 now to drop out of the top 50 (or 80 for the PGA) -- they still have the majors, 2 WGC's, and some asian tournaments to help them if needed. They will certainly fall, but they should be able to maintain a spot for a few years (say a player like Hovland left).

The PGA has no say over the PGA Championship field either -- it is owned by the PGA of America. The PGA owns/controls no majors. Somebody posted some stuff on the other board about tour membership regarding the PGA championship,, but it was irrelevant.

Those entities, except maybe the Masters, I suspect have no interest in lawsuits from players on LIV either.

What will matter for some on the LIV tour will be what happens with world golf rankings for their events because Top 50 in the world gets you in any major (typically 60's or the British and up to 90's at times for the PGA Championship) . This might be the best way for the PGA to block the "Upper Midcard" from leaving - think guys like Kevin Na, Talor Gooch, Patrick Reed (non Masters), Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter. They will have a hard time playing enough events to stay in the top 50 or even top 100 for too long. But it might not be that effective to block a player currently in the top 20 especially if they have a recent major.

The problem is the top (Dustin Johnson, Bryson Dechambeau, Cameron Smith) are just starting or fairly early in 5 year exemptions to all majors due to winning one. Patrick Reed has one more year. There are also exemptions for past winners, top 12 in prior year, and top 5 in any major the prior year.

And it will take a while for somebody in the top 15 now to drop out of the top 50 (or 80 for the PGA) -- they still have the majors, 2 WGC's, and some asian tournaments to help them if needed. They will certainly fall, but they should be able to maintain a spot for a few years (say a player like Hovland left).
Blocking the "Upper Midcard" is interesting. As a casual fan I think there are too many guys on tour that nobody cares about including 95% of the people in that designation. Shrink the tour - the number of events and the number of players offering the big names more $ and the up and comers earlier and less crowded opportunities to generate fans, money and a legacy.

Blocking the "Upper Midcard" is interesting. As a casual fan I think there are too many guys on tour that nobody cares about including 95% of the people in that designation. Shrink the tour - the number of events and the number of players offering the big names more $ and the up and comers earlier and less crowded opportunities to generate fans, money and a legacy.

The "Upper Midcard" using a wrestling example, in LIV guys like Gooch, Na, Patrick Reed, Garcia. They are very relevant to the tour, and if I was at a tournament would not mind watching them. The PGA tour definetely needs these types of guys and its a loss each one that leaves, even if not at that level of a Cameron Smith.

Going back to the wrestling analogy, I would think you are referring more to the "jobbers" on tour - I'll use Canadian names because they are prominent to me -- guys like Roger Sloan, Michael Gligic, David Hearn. I will watch them play because they are Canadian and watch if the rare time they are in contention in a lower tier event, but I am sure many don't care about them.

I think a comment I had made several pages back was misinterpreted. I had said the PGA tour had diluted itself too thin -- and somebody argued that the players could do what they want. And I totally agree with that. My issue is more with how it impacts quality of events as a fan-- spreading top and upper midcard guys across many of the events is not optimal. But its not that big of a deal.

The PGA dilution (too many events) is great for most of the players ... especially the lower tier guys as it gives them some nice paycheques in $4-6m tournaments. I am sure most players on tour are fine with that -- well obviously not Phil -- FIGJAM would steal their money if he could and be grinning about it.

To me. It sounded like he’s gone.

The whole “I let my team take care of it” nonsense. If it was no, it would be no
Gif feature not working here but he might as well have done the Bret Hart WCW motion

Stenson, Jason Kokrak and Charles Howell officially joined LIV yesterday. They fit the profile of veterans who are cashing out at post peak or near end peak.

Stenson hardly played any PGA Events anymore. Kokrak hurts a tad — #36 in the world.. like a NA, Gooch they are bigger profile names for mid or low tier events and hurt the depth.

That being said is LIV going to stop at 48 player fields? You can view the departures of Stenson and Howell as a positive if that is the case. The closer they get to filling their 48 player docket the less likely other top 30 players on tour leave.

Stenson, Jason Kokrak and Charles Howell officially joined LIV yesterday. They fit the profile of veterans who are cashing out at post peak or near end peak.

Stenson hardly played any PGA Events anymore. Kokrak hurts a tad — #36 in the world.. like a NA, Gooch they are bigger profile names for mid or low tier events and hurt the depth.

That being said is LIV going to stop at 48 player fields? You can view the departures of Stenson and Howell as a positive if that is the case. The closer they get to filling their 48 player docket the less likely other top 30 players on tour leave.
That was one of the big questions early on. What happens to those young guys who signed early and now might be getting squeezed out. It's a big question. PGA doesn't have to reinstate them.

Charles Barkley campaigning for an LIV gig, presumably so he can play pro-ams at Trump's courses:

That was one of the big questions early on. What happens to those young guys who signed early and now might be getting squeezed out. It's a big question. PGA doesn't have to reinstate them.

They claim they don't have to. We will see what the courts do. And I think the anti-trust stuff is not a throw away meaningless thing either Based on my experiences they are a pain in the ass.

I suspect they may suspend the for a few years, or make them play on KFT for a year or two if they want to come back.

Last edited:

Thinking back to some of those young players (or a college or ameteur hotshot that goes to LIV later on). some of them are not official PGA tour members in the first place and were not sanctioned as soon as they teed off in those LIV events (They didn't break any contract rules with the PGA).

Can the PGA deny them membership later on, for something they did when they were not members? The big winners in this crapshow are lawyers.

Maybe I'm naïve, but I'm pretty surprised Henrik picked LIV (i.e., $$$) over his Ryder Cup captaincy.

Maybe I'm naïve, but I'm pretty surprised Henrik picked LIV (i.e., $$$) over his Ryder Cup captaincy.
I'm not. I think that love of country stuff is all lip service by all these athletes. They want money and will always chase the cash. Also as I said earlier in the thread, players will get paid for participating in the Ryder Cup within the next 2 times the event is held.

It's never about furthering the game, representing your country, etc - it's always about the cash.

I'm not. I think that love of country stuff is all lip service by all these athletes. They want money and will always chase the cash. Also as I said earlier in the thread, players will get paid for participating in the Ryder Cup within the next 2 times the event is held.

It's never about furthering the game, representing your country, etc - it's always about the cash.
Sadly you're right.

I've been a casual golf fan since the days of Arnie Palmer.

No more

I've totally lost interest. I refuse to go political on this board so I will leave it like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom