2022 PGA Tour | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

2022 PGA Tour

How would you feel about match play with top 4 or 8 getting a bye once or twice?

I would be good with that too (in theory) depending on what they come up with..

I can understand wanting to have an advantage for a long season. But it can't be so huge to kill the integrity of the event like they ae doing now.

Will be interesting to see if all 8 internationals qualifying today, will actually still be eligible by the time the President's Cup starts on September 20th. I suspect some players who have not won majors recently will not sign up for LIV until the 2023 season so that they can boost or at least maintain their WGR's before they leave, so that they are more likely to keep eligibility for the 2023 majors.

Cameron Smith has 5 year exemption for all majors, so I think he is gone soon. Its just a matter of whether he will delay for the President's Cup. I don't think he will.

The 2019 event was actually very entertaining -- the President's Cup are typically duds, where unlike the Ryder Cup the US team plays up to its potential almost every time.

Kevin Roy, from Syracuse, got his tour card in the KFT finals yesterday. Pretty nice video

Certainly have plenty of respect for a career "minor leaguer" grinding to finally make the PGA Tour at 32.

Back in 2013, I went to a PGA Tour Canada Event at my local course. (This is a feeder tour to the Korn Ferry Tour of sorts).

- 156 players playing for $150,000, a portion of that funded by the players themselves (entry fees)
- Many players with no caddies or local caddies... some just carried their own bag.
- Some players were billeted.

Its not an easy life for them. And given that they are still very good golfers that are not that far away from the tour, its hard to give up on the dream despite the current hardships.

Obviously the course was not playing close to PGA Tour level, but still the entire top 10 shot -16 or under on a 7000 yard course. I think ultimately about 20 of players in the field earned a PGA tour card for 1 year or more. Those that have become the most successful in the field were probably Tony Finau, Mackenzie Hughes and Joel Dahmen

1661127900678.png

Honestly, at this point I would just prefer a 30 man tournament, no handicaps, winner takes all.
Shotgun start and between the golfer and his caddy a 12 pack must be consumed.

What a little water can do:

The first round of the Tour Championship was just dart-throwing. Hit the fairway, lift, clean and place, aim straight for the pin.

Bo-ring. Plus, to me, the course isn't all that. It'd be nice to have a course with some real character to close the season. Can't imagine that this is even the best course in the Atlanta area.

What a little water can do:

The first round of the Tour Championship was just dart-throwing. Hit the fairway, lift, clean and place, aim straight for the pin.

Bo-ring. Plus, to me, the course isn't all that. It'd be nice to have a course with some real character to close the season. Can't imagine that this is even the best course in the Atlanta area.
Agree 100% re East Lake. Very blah.

I was looking forward to watching a competitive tournament this weekend. Oh well.

I was looking forward to watching a competitive tournament this weekend. Oh well.

Even if it becomes competitive it will at best be a 2-3 man race, which can quickly fall apart early in the final round.

Does anybody know if the PGA is retaining the playoffs in their new format? I assume they are, but they need to go back to the drawing board again.

Even if it becomes competitive it will at best be a 2-3 man race, which can quickly fall apart early in the final round.

Does anybody know if the PGA is retaining the playoffs in their new format? I assume they are, but they need to go back to the drawing board again.

People are speaking out against it. I think a new tweak is in play. Maybe 2 rounds of stroke play (w/ small stroke advantage) that turns into match play for final 8 or 16 could work.

Didn't have a chance to watch the golf today (did record it), but heard it was a heck of an exciting round. So in the end, with the handicaps, it still worked out.

Would still certainly tweak this thing (cut the advantages by about half). That being said, the format now is still better to whatever existed in the past.

RIP Tom Weiskopf. One of the best ball strikers of all time

Fantastic player who spent a lot of time in Jack's shadow. Always enjoyed his insights as a broadcaster, and he did great work as course designer as well. Had a chance to see him play up close a few times when he was in his prime, and he sure was impressive. RIP, Tom.

Much respect for Harold Varner for being honest about his decision to leave for LIV.

None of the growing the game crap.
Yep, he and Pat Perez are the only ones to cut through the BS.

Cam Smith already complaining about world ranking points or the lack thereof...

Yep, he and Pat Perez are the only ones to cut through the BS.

Cam Smith already complaining about world ranking points or the lack thereof...

Its so odd, because for him WGR is largely irrelevant anyway He is qualified for every major by the end of 2027, and I suspect by 2028 things will have changed.

Pro Golf at the elite level has become a young man's game. The difference from 2012 is amazing.

In 2012, 8 players in the world top 10 were over 30 years old - 4 were over 35
Tiger Woods 36
Luke Donald 34
Lee Westwood 39
Adam Scott 32
Jason Dufner 35
Bubba Watson 33
Justin Rose 32
Steve Stricker 45
(Scott was 27, Mcilroy 23)

In 2022, 2 players in the world top 10 were over 30 years old, and none were over 35
Rory Mcilroy 33
Patrick Cantlay 30

Average age of the top 10 in 2012 was 34 years old.
Average age of the top 10 in 2022 was 27 years old.

Last edited:
President's Cup this week with not too much attention.

An event that was already struggling because of the weakening international side over the years, took a big hit because of LIV - international team loses Smith, Oostuizen and Niemann and replaced them with players outside of the world top 50 for the most part. T

Taylor Pendrith, Canadian, who is a long hitter and good form made the team. He is world ranked #107 - not exactly a stellar profile for this team competition. As a Canadian, I hope Pendrith and Connors and the rest of the team does well. But I don't like their chances of keeping it close.

Last edited:
President's Cup this week with not too much attention.

An event that was already struggling because of the weakening international side over the years, took a big hit because of LIV - international team loses Smith, Oostuizen and Niemann and replaced them with players outside of the world top 50 for the most part. T

Taylor Pendrith, Canadian, who is a long hitter and good form made the team. He is world ranked #107 - not exactly a stellar profile for this team competition. As a Canadian, I hope Pendrith and Connors and the rest of the team does well. But I don't like their chances of keeping it close.
I believe it's next week, but agree it's lost a lot of luster with the guys who have gone to LIV.

I believe it's next week, but agree it's lost a lot of luster with the guys who have gone to LIV.

That makes sense. Probably why I was hearing nothing about it, other than one place (tweet?) that I read it was this week.

What a finish to the Fortinent Open today. Huge shot and epic choke (Willett 3 putts from 3 feet, 7 inches to lose)

Last hole Par 5, Homa down one.
Homa chunks his 30 yard shot out of the sand, leaving himself about a 12 yard chip shot laying 3.

Willett is 3 feet 7 inches away, laying 3.

Homa hits his difficult chip for birdie.
Willett misses his short birdie putt to win, ends up 5 feet from the hole.
Willett misses the comeback par putt - Homa wins.

Video of Willett's 3 putt, after Homa's stunning chip shot that forced him to make.
The first putt was to win, the second putt was to tie.

Video of Willett's 3 putt, after Homa's stunning chip shot that forced him to make.
The first putt was to win, the second putt was to tie.

I've gotten a positive vibe from Interviews I've seen with Homa. Everything I've read about Willett has said he's a jerk. At the end of the day, I'm glad for Homa, he was due.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom