2023-2024 Coaching Carousel | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2023-2024 Coaching Carousel

6-4 is good for that program in the SECW.
He should have been much better than 6-4 with his recruiting classes and the money behind the program. Texas A&M isn't Vandy, they have a lot of clout in Texas.

He should have been much better than 6-4 with his recruiting classes and the money behind the program. Texas A&M isn't Vandy, they have a lot of clout in Texas.
I mean Texas isn't the only place that plays football. In the state alone TCU won a playoff game, UT is #1 by a mile, Baylor and Houston have recent success, Tech sent a bunch of QBs to the league, ACC expansion apologists view SMU as a title contender. Crowded state tough conference 6-4 in the SECW isn't that bad. Their QB is Brad Johnsons crappy kid who stunk at LSU what more is he going to do for them and he was #2 to enter the year?

Their fans will buy a new coach every 2 years I'm sure once in a while they'll have a nice season like the Manzeil one but its an also ran program. Should have tried to get into the Big Ten with Nebby.

Really? He's the one that got a #1 overall class to an also ran Big 12 school.

They had one good season with Manzeil and are 6-4 this year which is as expected maybe better I don't consider AtM football more than a 6-8 win program annually. They were in the tougher half of the SEC and are about to be demoted in terms of prestige with UT and OU joining. Peer program to Ole Miss or Arkansas absolutely nothing more.

Could he bring those type of classes here?
While you may consider them a 6-8 win team, their fans consider them a consistent national championship contender and will continue to hire and fire really good coaches who get them into bowl games nearly every year because of their completely unreasonable expectation. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

While you may consider them a 6-8 win team, their fans consider them a consistent national championship contender and will continue to hire and fire really good coaches who get them into bowl games nearly every year because of their completely unreasonable expectation. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

See also: Nebraska, with Bo Pelini.

67-27 overall.
NEVER won fewer than NINE games in a season, including 3 TEN win seasons.
10-4 those 3 times.

Nebraska would now kill for a record like the 'worst' of those seasons.

The only thing I can think of, and I could be wrong because I don’t quite remember when Mike Leach passed, but they could have seen it as too late in the process to be able to get a coach that they would actually want to move forward with so they thought it would be best to keep in in house for a year then move on. But also if that was the case you’d think they’d let Arnett at least finish the year so I don’t know. Either way this was too much too soon on unprecedented circumstances for Arnett, he’ll land somewhere as a DC and do a good job.

It was mid December. Really he was just a interim HC like Fickell was at Ohio State. I don't want him as DC after his actions last time.

See also: Nebraska, with Bo Pelini.

67-27 overall.
NEVER won fewer than NINE games in a season, including 3 TEN win seasons.
10-4 those 3 times.

Nebraska would now kill for a record like the 'worst' of those seasons.
Nebraska had a reason to be arrogant they had as much success as any program in the 90s. I think Clemson fans for example have a reason to have unrealistic arrogant expectations for the next 10-20 years.

It’s crazy how bad Nebby has been despite having such an easy conference schedule. AM at least plays a meat grinder.

I’m not a fan of his, but Dino looks like a steal compared to what some of these other coaches make. I’d rather keep Dino and put money into facilities/assistants rather than pay a premium (buyout+salary) for another coach who is unproven and comes with significant baggage.

I’m not a fan of his, but Dino looks like a steal compared to what some of these other coaches make. I’d rather keep Dino and put money into facilities/assistants rather than pay a premium (buyout+salary) for another coach who is unproven and comes with significant baggage.

Generally speaking I agree. The problem is...

Dino has already proven he cannot evaluate HS talent. I get not bringing in 4-5 star kids. I don't expect that. The problem is his 2-3 star kids are not ACC level.

He cannot build an competent OL.

He will not hold players accountable for penalties. We do not have the talent to overcome that. Can't be putting yourself in a hole. Look at Wake. They lack talent and run more plays than anyone, yet they are usually at the top of the conference in least penalties.

Our players and team never seem to get better as the year goes on. We need our lower level talent to be maximized by the coaching.

Can anyone really say we are well coached, or that our staff out coaches the other sideline?

We have 2-3 complete no show games a year. One if fine, but not 2 or 3.

We have no O identity. We keep changing things which does not help. What have we had 5 different OCs in 8 years? For an O HC that should not happen. There should be some consistency in system.

He has only had 2 out of 8 ACC seasons where he had 3 or more Ws. Still has a shot this year to be fair. It is actually pretty hard to be as bad as we have.

And he is 23-51 (.311) vs P5 teams. That is awful. On top of that he has 3 G5 Ls (although two of those were pretty good teams).

No one is going to come in and make SU a yearly ACC contender. But we need someone who is going to maximize our potential. Dino has proven he CANNOT do that.

Generally speaking I agree. The problem is...

Dino has already proven he cannot evaluate HS talent. I get not bringing in 4-5 star kids. I don't expect that. The problem is his 2-3 star kids are not ACC level.

He cannot build an competent OL.

He will not hold players accountable for penalties. We do not have the talent to overcome that. Can't be putting yourself in a hole. Look at Wake. They lack talent and run more plays than anyone, yet they are usually at the top of the conference in least penalties.

Our players and team never seem to get better as the year goes on. We need our lower level talent to be maximized by the coaching.

Can anyone really say we are well coached, or that our staff out coaches the other sideline?

We have 2-3 complete no show games a year. One if fine, but not 2 or 3.

We have no O identity. We keep changing things which does not help. What have we had 5 different OCs in 8 years? For an O HC that should not happen. There should be some consistency in system.

He has only had 2 out of 8 ACC seasons where he had 3 or more Ws. Still has a shot this year to be fair. It is actually pretty hard to be as bad as we have.

And he is 23-51 (.311) vs P5 teams. That is awful. On top of that he has 3 G5 Ls (although two of those were pretty good teams).

No one is going to come in and make SU a yearly ACC contender. But we need someone who is going to maximize our potential. Dino has proven he CANNOT do that.
and if he goes to a bowl game he will most likely keep his job. Is what it is. :)

Bowl games won't get you fired at Syracuse, plain and simple

I think people have continued to move the goal posts because of unrealistic expectations and wanting Dino fired. Strength of schedule, blow out losses, conference record, blah blah blah. The schedule had dome weaker teams but guess what we aren't very good either

5 he is gone, 6 he most likely stays, 7 he stays 100%. Bowl games don't matter if you win or lose

I don't think Syracuse wants to write a 6-7 mil check to fire Dino and assistants on 2 year deals and probably best

Last edited:
and if he goes to a bowl game he will most likely keep his job. Is what it is. :)

Bowl games won't get you fired at Syracuse, plain and simple

Generally speaking I agree. I would not expect the SU HC to be fired with multiple years left on their contract. But when they have one year left, the evaluation should be for the entire body of work. At that point you either need to move on or extend 2 years. A HC shouldn't get a cookie for going 3-6 vs P5 teams.

Edit

Also by extending him it is a complete slap in the face to your fanbase. You are saying you are committed to mediocrity.

Generally speaking I agree. I would not expect the SU HC to be fired with multiple years left on their contract. But when they have one year left, the evaluation should be for the entire body of work. At that point you either need to move on or extend 2 years. A HC shouldn't get a cookie for going 3-6 vs P5 teams.

Edit

Also by extending him it is a complete slap in the face to your fanbase. You are saying you are committed to mediocrity.
and I don't disagree with your general view point. It probably is time for a change, I just don't think if he gets to a bowl game it will happen. And on top of that there is so much work that needs to be done to the roster for next year to try and be remotely competitive. WR's, O line, another qb besides the freshman etc

Like I said, almost can guarantee that Rocky and Beck have 2 year deals as well, so that's part of the equation too. It's just the reality of the situation.

2025 going to be brutal as well