2023-24 NBA Season | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

So NBA admits the regular season is boring and tries this contrived "tournament" to spice it up. Doubt it. Maybe some of the bad teams with a lot of rookies and young low paid players will get up for it but not the star studded teams with older very high paid players.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me but hopefully it's fun to watch.

Not a soccer fan but I understand this kind of thing is big in those leagues.
I don’t like that most of the games count as regular season games. Not sure how that’s going to work after the group stage.

Let’s beat last year’s thread!

Also, I guess Wemby is ok after all the summary judgments of his future after one summer league game. Game 2, much better. Not sure he should even play again.

So the Blazers want four first round picks and two quality players for Lillard. Forget the Heat, they wont get that from any team.

So the Blazers want four first round picks and two quality players for Lillard. Forget the Heat, they wont get that from any team.
did I read the Clippers asked the Knicks for something similar for Paul George?

The tournament is a stupid idea, the NASCAR style jerseys look scrubby, 140 point games are boring, and this is feeling less and less like a serious league.

Pretty sure that’s the point.

The only team that could do that (and I’m not even sure what the deal would be to ensure the salaries matching) would be OKC and that’s not happening. Maybe the Pels?

Cronin does any trade remotely in the way the Heat are proposing and he’ll be fired by December.

The tournament is a stupid idea, the NASCAR style jerseys look scrubby, 140 point games are boring, and this is feeling less and less like a serious league.

Not sure if it will work or not, but I’ll give credit to Silver for at least trying something.

The season is too long but there is zero chance they ever reduce the number of games. So I don’t mind that they are trying *something*.

Not sure if it will work or not, but I’ll give credit to Silver for at least trying something.

The season is too long but there is zero chance they ever reduce the number of games. So I don’t mind that they are trying *something*.
Agreed...I think my main beef is that its still before Christmas. I'm not deep diving into NBA while NFL is still ongoing. And if I'm not...the "casual" NBA fan def isnt.

Agreed...I think my main beef is that its still before Christmas. I'm not deep diving into NBA while NFL is still ongoing. And if I'm not...the "casual" NBA fan def isnt.
That's an interesting point.

It’s just….completely ridiculous, to me. It’s unnecessary and I don’t see the point. Feels like they’re very insecure about their product.

The season would be fine if the good players sit out fewer games. Figure out how to solve that, but this ain’t it.

Ever since COVID, the NBA and MLB have lost their minds with the stupid gimmicks.

It’s just….completely ridiculous, to me.

The season would be fine if the good players sit out fewer games.
Maybe this will force that? Maybe not. I feel like the team who wins this should have a guaranteed playoff spot regardless of where they finish at the end of the season. There needs to be some incentive to make teams try.

Maybe this will force that? Maybe not. I feel like the team who wins this should have a guaranteed playoff spot regardless of where they finish at the end of the season. There needs to be some incentive to make teams try.
How about this one...think its a general Simmons idea he's talked about in various sports.

If you win the tourney, you pick who you play in Round 1 of the playoffs.

Similar but different, I had an idea before that they should calculate lottery odds based on worst record the first half of the season, lock a portion of the odds in, and then base the remaining lottery odds off of which of the teams from that pool had the best record in the second half of the season. That way teams that are bad have some recognition of their quality, but teams are heavily incentivized to win games as the season wraps up. Would make for very exciting playoff races if you know a tanking organization is in the mindset that for a top 3 pick they need to win games. Plus teams could sell that they're on the upswing and their lotto pick is joining a team on the rise.

Not appropriate for a tournament like this, but I'm with you that the incentives matter.

Wemby done for the rest of summer by choice of the Spurs. I'd do the same thing. People can go on their H0T Takes, but I think he's going to be really good. I also think Scoot will be really good. Then a cliff for any of the other players chosen.

I'm really looking forward to watching the Spurs and the Pacers. I'll watch Scoot on PDX, but I'm not sure what that team will be until we see what happens with Dame.

To be very clear, I don't care what anyone does in Summer League, at all.

Wemby done for the rest of summer by choice of the Spurs. I'd do the same thing. People can go on their H0T Takes, but I think he's going to be really good. I also think Scoot will be really good. Then a cliff for any of the other players chosen.

I'm really looking forward to watching the Spurs and the Pacers. I'll watch Scoot on PDX, but I'm not sure what that team will be until we see what happens with Dame.

To be very clear, I don't care what anyone does in Summer League, at all.
I’m pretty sure I remember MCW playing terrible in summer league, and then he starts his career off with a bunch of triple doubles or near triple doubles and goes on to win ROY.

I’m pretty sure I remember MCW playing terrible in summer league, and then he starts his career off with a bunch of triple doubles or near triple doubles and goes on to win ROY.

Yeah, Randy Foye won a SL MVP I believe.

Wemby played poorly in one game. Was much more engaged in game 2. Neither proves anything. My only concern is outside of Kareem, tall thin guys have struggled in the league. Listening to NBA radio today callers were making it out like Ralph Sampson was Wilt. He wasn't. Bradley wasn't, Porzingis isn't... history makes me skeptical on longevity (and his best offensive skill at this point is dribbling).

Wemby played poorly in one game. Was much more engaged in game 2. Neither proves anything. My only concern is outside of Kareem, tall thin guys have struggled in the league. Listening to NBA radio today callers were making it out like Ralph Sampson was Wilt. He wasn't. Bradley wasn't, Porzingis isn't... history makes me skeptical on longevity (and his best offensive skill at this point is dribbling).
Durant and Garnett come to mind as tall, thin players who were/are stars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom