2023-24 Portal Options | Page 69 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Actually yes they should have anticipated that everyone is being bid on and you need to make sure you are competitive. Everyone knows it’s the Wild West.

Again Cuse had over a year to plan for this and laid an egg. It’s great to send the whole staff to watch high schoolers but you also have to continually recruit your existing players. Poorly done here
Exactly. The two main guys we needed money for were Jesse and Judah and they still dropped the ball on preparing the NIL coffers for the off season.

Exactly. The two main guys we needed money for were Jesse and Judah and they still dropped the ball on preparing the NIL coffers for the off season.
The schools do not give NIL. It is the collectives or individual businesses. A school giving NIL would be an ncaa violation. Ncaa just changed the rule that the burden is on the school to disprove the violation. Good chance the school may have been concerned that some of the donors actions could result in a violation. The collective will get stronger. Right now SU has been very active in trying to get money to complete the new athletic facility.
People point to UConn and Gtown but remember those two schools main focus is basketball. Both do not have to worry about NIL for any other athletes. In fact UConn basically abandoned football when they went independent. SUs collectives need to work deals for athletes in multiple sports including basketball.
Unfortunately in the current climate it will be difficult to compete with land grant state schools with large alumni basis and sec schools where donors have been giving money long before NIL.
Everyone is running on emotions right now. Let’s see how things will shake out by august not April 11th.

Yes, you can. And you should. You have to be prepared for anything and everything. That’s the job.

I’m pulling for Red. He hit a couple of early home runs with Starling and Straughn. If he was blindsided by Moore staying at Villanova or Edwards leaving, that’s not a good sign. A number of people on here said Red would work harder than anyone. Is that what we’re seeing? He can still be successful and sometimes being deliberate works out in the long run. He doesn’t have the luxury of being Jim Boeheim, though. Even Boeheim himself didn’t have that luxury by the end.

If Red’s hands are tied, though, we might as well pull a UConn and rejoin the Big East. Put whatever resources we have into basketball at the expense of football.

(Yeah, I know that’s not economically feasible.)
How should he have been preparing for this? Trying to bring in a starting center? No one is picking up the phone to sit on the bench behind an All-ACC guy who they think is staying. They would have had no real pitch and no leg to stand on when they said “Jesse might not come back” because all indications were he WAS coming back.

It’s unrealistic to expect the staff to be able to anticipate such a massive move while they have been repeatedly been told the opposite would be occurring. Does your company constantly interview people to replace you just in case you leave tomorrow? I know mine doesn’t, and i wouldn’t want to be at a company that does that anyway.

The university and athletic department have to get on the same page with regard to NIL. If they can get that figured out and how to incorporate all the different personalities of donors, then we can compete. But, very rich people may want to do things their way. Can you blame them? So, a compromise has to be found, and quickly. Who knows, if they can get this done, maybe we pull Jesse back in and maybe even Judah if he doesn't get an acceptable guarantee. Then we're cooking again.

If Jesse is leaving b/c we can’t get close to the number he can get somewhere else than how do we possibly pull Jesse back in and judah who is orobably worth at least twice what Jesse is if not 3 times more. Doesn’t make sense to me.

And if we can’t keep one player happy who isn’t even one of the best players in the country (Jesse) how do we even compete for multiple players in the portal in the future to build a good team.

The schools do not give NIL. It is the collectives or individual businesses. A school giving NIL would be an ncaa violation. Ncaa just changed the rule that the burden is on the school to disprove the violation. Good chance the school may have been concerned that some of the donors actions could result in a violation. The collective will get stronger. Right now SU has been very active in trying to get money to complete the new athletic facility.
People point to UConn and Gtown but remember those two schools main focus is basketball. Both do not have to worry about NIL for any other athletes. In fact UConn basically abandoned football when they went independent. SUs collectives need to work deals for athletes in multiple sports including basketball.
Unfortunately in the current climate it will be difficult to compete with land grant state schools with large alumni basis and sec schools where donors have been giving money long before NIL.
Everyone is running on emotions right now. Let’s see how things will shake out by august not April 11th.
This is a good post. Part of me wonders if the NCAA lack of clarity around NIL is intentional. To get the cheating out in the open and then start firing.

This is a good post. Part of me wonders if the NCAA lack of clarity around NIL is intentional. To get the cheating out in the open and then start firing.
That requires a lot of forethought and conspiracy on the part of the NCAA, who not that long ago forbade schools from providing athletes cream cheese with bagels. The NCAA is inept.

How should he have been preparing for this? Trying to bring in a starting center? No one is picking up the phone to sit on the bench behind an All-ACC guy who they think is staying. They would have had no real pitch and no leg to stand on when they said “Jesse might not come back” because all indications were he WAS coming back.

It’s unrealistic to expect the staff to be able to anticipate such a massive move while they have been repeatedly been told the opposite would be occurring. Does your company constantly interview people to replace you just in case you leave tomorrow? I know mine doesn’t, and i wouldn’t want to be at a company that does that anyway.
We interview people all the time, whether there are openings or not. Why wouldn’t you want to be at a company that does that? When someone needs to be replaced for whatever reason, we’re prepared.

The successful schools in this climate will be the schools that are prepared. That means constantly putting feelers out there and compiling a list of candidates at every position. The “all eggs in one basket” approach didn’t work for JB and it’s not going to work for Red.

We interview people all the time, whether there are openings or not. Why wouldn’t you want to be at a company that does that? When someone needs to be replaced for whatever reason, we’re prepared.

The successful schools in this climate will be the schools that are prepared. That means constantly putting feelers out there and compiling a list of candidates at every position. The “all eggs in one basket” approach didn’t work for JB and it’s not going to work for Red.
Your company interviews people for filled jobs? I can’t say I have ever once spent time interviewing someone when I didn’t have an open position. That’s an incredible waste of both my and the candidate’s time. I would argue it’s the same for college basketball transfers. Players will not waste time on a school that doesn’t fit the most basic requirement for a starter: starting position.

Your company interviews people for filled jobs? I can’t say I have ever once spent time interviewing someone when I didn’t have an open position. That’s an incredible waste of both my and the candidate’s time. I would argue it’s the same for college basketball transfers. Players will not waste time on a school that doesn’t fit the most basic requirement for a starter: starting position.

Seriously?? It's called an evergreen posting. Many companies in specific sectors have them.

We’re constantly assessing internal and external possibilities even when no roles are open. They will be. And we document succession plans for every high performer in the team. Who is ready to step up to the spot, pulled in from and adjacent area or should be on our radar externally.

We’re constantly assessing internal and external possibilities even when no roles are open. They will be. And we document succession plans for every high performer in the team. Who is ready to step up to the spot, pulled in from and adjacent area or should be on our radar externally.
I agree. I am a manager for a Staffing agency and we are expected to do the same thing. You never know when you might have a need and they want you to be prepared. Sometimes if we find a good candidate and don't have an opening we are able to create one.

And it probably takes you months to replace someone when they resign.

Yep... it's common practice for different reasons. Our call center and IT positions we are always interviewing for.

Yup, totally standard to do informational interviews so you are ready to go with good candidates at a moment's notice when a need arises.

Whose to say that hasn't happened? People keep saying the staff was blindsided but I think it's more accurate to say fans were blindsided and are assuming since they were that the staff was as well.

Assessing and investing time in a potential recruit is very different. Internally is easy, external targets could be considered interested but you don’t formally interview for a closed position where there is no possible way to open it. Perhaps we are thinking about this differently

And it probably takes you months to replace someone when they resign.
I mean we have a list of former close calls (people who made the final round cut but missed the offer, likely similar to Syracuse's former recruit list) to shorten the time but I dont actively talk to people before any indication of an opening. Again, that’s a monumental waste of time. Maybe we’re just lucky but it hasn’t taken us much longer than a month to fill a position, most times it’s only 2 weeks gap (terminations known well in advance, and two weeks pretty standard notice from our departing employees) and I imagine the staff cannot possibly be taking much more than a couple weeks to connect and shoot out an offer to a perspective athlete.

Last edited:
We must be reaching out to more than just the North Texas center, right? Have we been mentioned in any other portal players' lists since yesterday?