2023-24 Portal Options | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

Not exactly true

I know. I’m being a baby and being facetious. Felt like things were possibly looking up and realizing what I think is true in FB too, long term. We won’t be able to compete.

I really don’t see HD coming here even if we met the NIL demands. He’s alluded to wanting to go to a team that can win a title in interviews, which is why he’s leaving Michigan. Don’t see how we could convince him of that in our current state.

Just yesterday we were hoping the staff would use the portal to upgrade the roster. Now it's just a tool to mitigate damages and reduce the downgrade. What's the best worst option. If the people at the top don't want to play ball, hopefully this serves as a wakeup call for those who can make changes.
It's always replacing and not upgrading and there is a difference. We're always playing catch-up instead of getting ahead, exception being maybe JJ

I really don’t see HD coming here even if we met the NIL demands. He’s alluded to wanting to go to a team that can win a title in interviews, which is why he’s leaving Michigan. Don’t see how we could convince him of that in our current state.
His high school coach was hired by Maryland. So much for that.

Kid definitely has nice jump hooks in his arsenal.

I like the way he uses his body to create space to get that shot off.

Sounds like LeBron James. I’m only going where I can win a NBA Championship.

Yeah, to be clear this would in no way be an upgrade lol. The argument in favor of him being a decent transfer target would be:
  • Per 40 minute numbers are legitimately good. As Orangezoo mentioned, 18/10 and he was at 17/10 the year before too. Pretty good shooting percentages too considering the high diet of hook shots/2 point jumpers.
  • Was one of the best players on a team that was dominant amongst its peers (31-7 or something like that this past season and very good the season before as well).
  • Is a Brooklyn native and we know we'd like to get more involved in NYC again.
I would also say I highly doubt the plan would be for him to come in and be fed in the post a ton like he was at North Texas. He seems to have a pretty good feel using his body to seal defenders off/create angles that he can finish with and was a good finisher around the rim. I would think he'd be used more as a finisher rather than an offensive centerpiece, though that may ultimately depend on what our roster actually looks like when the dust settles.

I think he's at least much more promising on paper than Elijah Hutchins-Everett, the guy that Mike Waters had alluded to earlier today as a potential target.

Also had a PER near 25 this year, which would put him in/near top 100 in NCAA.

How. how does it show that?
Because they should have gotten an answer from Jesse sooner and if he couldn't provide them a firm commitment they needed to start lining up contingencies in the event he did not return. Now they start their search, hence they were not prepared in advance. They are reacting, not anticipating.

Because they should have gotten an answer from Jesse sooner and if he couldn't provide them a firm commitment they needed to start lining up contingencies in the event he did not return. Now they start their search, hence they were not prepared in advance. They are reacting, not anticipating.
Are you surprised?
I’m not.

He plays and moves like Arinze. Good body. Soft hands. Good baby hook and left hand. Back down player. Showed no face up game. Plays hard. Excellent timing. Not overly explosive.
Below the rim guy. Arinze elevated on top of the defender.

They were supposed to anticipate that he'd be back but another school would offer his family in the Netherlands a sh'load of money?

Why don’t we contact the Kentucky guy we pursued in HS? Or Sharp from WKU who is the best rim protector in the nation. At this point we need to throw top NIL at guys like this, just to make the team serviceable. Or else, why would anyone come here in the future?