2023-24 Starters and Rotation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Starters and Rotation

We are playing more thank 7 guys and we aren't playing a lineup with set positions. JB is gone.
I agree we will play more than 7. But how many minutes? If it was your first job are you taking Judah or Benny off the floor if they are playing well.
I absolutely agree about position less ball. That’s why the idea of Chance and Brown off the bench looks good. Chance can back up 1-3 and Brown the 4-5.
I can’t see everyone making it through the year unless this team has amazing chemistry. How can you possibly get Taylor, Copeland and Cuffe enough minutes to keep them all happy.
That being said what a great problem to have.

I am really surprised at how many people consider Chance a lock to start and play over Bell. Westery is coming off an injury and was largely ineffective. Bell started almost every game, is a capable shooter, and came on strong defensively in the last few games. Personally I see:
Mintz
Starling
Bell
Williams
Big Nate

Bench
Chance
Brown

Everyone else. Fighting for scraps.
Bell did zero rebounding and D. He will need to improve in both areas in order to start

I agree we will play more than 7. But how many minutes? If it was your first job are you taking Judah or Benny off the floor if they are playing well.
I absolutely agree about position less ball. That’s why the idea of Chance and Brown off the bench looks good. Chance can back up 1-3 and Brown the 4-5.
I can’t see everyone making it through the year unless this team has amazing chemistry. How can you possibly get Taylor, Copeland and Cuffe enough minutes to keep them all happy.
That being said what a great problem to have.
They aren't playing 40. Probably closer to 30-35 like Triche and MCW in 2013.

UConn played 9 guys this year. Not one guy played 30mpg.

There's a need for a guy like Taylor. He can play the Joey Calcaterra role for us.

Cuffe is a long term player IMO. He's clearly behind Mintz/Starling/Westry in the pecking order.

You are way higher on QC than I am. I think his minutes fall below Brown & Bell. Bell may be the best shooter on this team. I think with JAB gone, Bell will show up a lot more. I also think KC may be closer to 8-10. Between his injury and the talent at guard, I think he's more impactful the following year.
I think he may emerge as a glue guy and Defensive stopper within this man to man focused team. Also shows a lot of hustle, which will allow him to get rebounds for a team where it could potentially be a flat spot.

I like Bell, but I’m concerned he’s a bit too one dimensional to warrant significant minutes on this roster.

Regardless, the talent will emerge and the best guys will rise to the top.

I think he may emerge as a glue guy and Defensive stopper within this man to man focused team. Also shows a lot of hustle, which will allow him to get rebounds for a team where it could potentially be a flat spot.

I like Bell, but I’m concerned he’s a bit too one dimensional to warrant significant minutes on this roster.

Regardless, the talent will emerge and the best guys will rise to the top.

Good stuff. Yeah QC has a lot to his game. He can do things given his size, handle and vision that likely only Westry can also do. Josh Pace/Z Sims mix to me. Consistency is his main nemesis so if he can go out there and produce every game then he won't be at the end of the rotation.

I'll also add he was extremely active on the boards in his good stints too. Physical, floor burn guy.

Judah
JJ
Chris
Benny
McLoud

I have trouble envisioning Bell holding a starting spot in a new system where defensive pressure and guarding intensity are at the forefront, something he struggled with mightily last season.

His shooting is a valuable asset, something that would fit a 6th man role on this team extremely well to provide a different look than a Westry, who will help set the tone defensively to start the game.

I don't know that we have seen a team/roster this "deep" AND talented since 2003.
Along with this is an "experience" factor. Two7 ft. centers with nearly 4+ seasons under their belt.
4 transfers who bring the knowledge of other programs to CUSE and one of the best PGs in the nation
running the show after going through some pre-draft workouts.
Autry Griff and Gmac have pretty much anything and everything to work with...

On Red's team you are going to have to play defense. Bell and Taylor have to prove they can.
I mean doesn’t everyone have to prove they can play man after playing zone last year.

I am a lot higher on Brown than most. I think a running, pressing style of play fits him well. He runs the floor hard, gets a ton of deflections on D and has excellent vision as a passer.
I think there are minutes available to him at the 5 & 4. He can be a backup center I just wouldn’t want him against Bacot, Flip or Hall for more than a minute or two.

I am really surprised at how many people consider Chance a lock to start and play over Bell. Westery is coming off an injury and was largely ineffective. Bell started almost every game, is a capable shooter, and came on strong defensively in the last few games. Personally I see:
Mintz
Starling
Bell
Williams
Big Nate

Bench
Chance
Brown

Everyone else. Fighting for scraps.
Agree with this. We’ll need shooters on the floor to compliment the backcourt, I think Bell will be a big factor and naturally should improve spacing with him on the court. Would argue he’ll be more significant towards this team’s success than Chance.

I think there are minutes available to him at the 5 & 4. He can be a backup center I just wouldn’t want him against Bacot, Flip or Hall for more than a minute or two.
Brown at the center would be an interesting small ball lineup option that could run.

Mintz - 31
JJ - 26
Chance- 28
Benny- 25
Brown - 20
Copeland - 12
Bell - 17
Taylor - 13
McLeod - 16
Cuffe - 7
Hima - 5
Brown has such a nose for the ball and plays sort of like Marek. He is in the right place at the right time. I hope he plays more like 25. I could see a lot of penetration and dump offs to Brown being really really successful. We have many guards now who can get in the lane and finish and teams will need to respect that. Oh and add McLeod to the dump off equation!

If we can add to that one of our forwards hitting threes and a tight pressing defense with lots of turnovers watch out.

Last edited:
I don't see how Westry doesn't start.

People are way too hung up on 1) traditional positions and 2) shooting from distance.

Chris Bell sporadically rebounded. He can't dribble that well. I am guessing that Red wants as many guys that can dribble, pass and attack as possible on the floor at once.

Chris Bell has some work to do to become a well-rounded player.

I've had plenty of issues with JB, but he wasn't lying about Bell in a number of his comments.

If he's on a heater when he comes in off the bench getting catch and shoot threes, absolutely let him cook. If not, we got a lot of options on this team.

I am not in any way trying to put Westry down please look at his stats game by game. If he had played for SU last year half the board would try and run him off. I am afraid some people have backup qb syndrome going ion here.
I think he will be a good player but he will need time. Bell played a lot more minutes than Chance last year.

I don't see how Westry doesn't start.

People are way too hung up on 1) traditional positions and 2) shooting from distance.

Chris Bell sporadically rebounded. He can't dribble that well. I am guessing that Red wants as many guys that can dribble, pass and attack as possible on the floor at once.

Chris Bell has some work to do to become a well-rounded player.

I've had plenty of issues with JB, but he wasn't lying about Bell in a number of his comments.

If he's on a heater when he comes in off the bench getting catch and shoot threes, absolutely let him cook. If not, we got a lot of options on this team.
I agree with a lot of that Mike. Especially the 2nd paragraph.

I think and hope that Red will attempt to put as many versatile player makers on the court as possible regardless of positions. I imagine those combinations will vary based on match ups and how well individual players adapt to the system.

The guesses assigning playing time and positions are interesting but not particularly meaningful, IMO, until: 1. We see Red in action - game planning, adapting, in game-decision making, and player substitutions. 2. How well players adapt to the new system. The only given at this point, in my mind anyway, is Jadah getting a lot of minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom